Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

but it is reasonable to say that no British compound designs were really successful, possibly with the exception of the MR 4-4-0's.

Corrected for you!

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Since there is a direct family connection between W M Smith (responsible for these) and Derby works then perhaps these were related to the MR/LMS compounds.

Very much so! The first five compounds, Nos. 2631-5, were Smith-Johnson compounds, i.e. using W.M. Smith's three cylinder layout in a locomotive designed under S.W. Johnson's superintendency. Smith had been part of Johnson's team (along with William Stroudley and Dugald Drummond) at Cowlairs in the 1860s - keeping the E&GR's dodgy locomotive fleet going no doubt built up a spirit of camararderie amongst these young men - Johnson and Stroudley were both just turning 30 while Drummond and Smith were in their early 20s. Smith's son John was in the Derby LDO under Johnson but moved to Gorton - where J.G. Robinson was building Smith compounds - soon after Deeley took over at Derby. That was no doubt because Deeley set about weeding out all the Smith patent features from the compounds, to avoid royalty payments, resulting in the classic Midland Compound, from which was derived the LMS Standard compound and, to a considerable extent, the Great Northern / Beyer Peacock compounds.

Should you not also consider NER No.1619  three cylinder compound, and the two NER four cylinder compound Atlantics Nos 730 and 731.

Also of course the large number of Worsdell-von Borries two cylinder compounds on the North Eastern, although uncompounded by T.W.'s little brother Wilson - both, incidentally, Crewe men. Also the Belfast & Northern Counties Worsdell-von Borries compounds built under Bowman Malcolm's superintendency, which saw long service.

Yes, compounds have a disappointing history in Great Britain.

Not so very disappointing, I would argue; just that the local conditions weren't entirely favourable, for a variety of reasons. Though few in number, the Irish ones were undoubtedly successful!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The C5 Atlantics to Robinson's designs were not exactly a flop and stayed in traffic for around 40 years without any major rebuilds or alterations.

They remained a small experimental class because the reduction in the amount of coal they used wasn't great and the saving was cancelled out by the extra cost and complexity of the construction.

• Like 4

This is hi-jacking Mr Wright's thread.

But, just one more interesting point.

There is at least one Worsdell Von-Borries road engine surviving, and (pre-covid) operational.

Now, enough!

I have trains to run and vans to finish!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, drmditch said:

This is hi-jacking Mr Wright's thread.

But, just one more interesting point.

There is at least one Worsdell Von-Borries road engine surviving, and (pre-covid) operational.

Now, enough!

I have trains to run and vans to finish!

To whom it might concern, please 'high-jack' away!

If this thread were just about me and what I do, it would be nowhere near as active and interesting as it is now. Active and interesting because of all those who 'high-jack' it. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Of course we all know that the original "City of Manchester" was a Robinson 4-6-0 No 425 (later B2 No 5425).

Ahem...

locomotive-173-city-manchester-5082047.j

[Embedded link to Mary Evans Picture Library website thumbnail.]

LNWR Dreadnought Class 3-cylinder compound 2-2-2-0 No. 173, built March 1886, Crewe motion No. 2896.

Sticking with the compound digression!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ahem...

locomotive-173-city-manchester-5082047.j

[Embedded link to Mary Evans Picture Library website thumbnail.]

LNWR Dreadnought Class 3-cylinder compound 2-2-2-0 No. 173, built March 1886, Crewe motion No. 2896.

Sticking with the compound digression!

OK, OK, you got me! I should have said best looking, not original. Then somebody will argue with me about that too, so I will just say that the GCR had a very nice looking loco called City of Manchester.

• Like 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

OK, OK, you got me! I should have said best looking, 

I might actually give you that:

423 Sir Sam Fay Robinson Class B2  B19 (GCR Class I) Sir Sam Fay 4-6-0

[Embedded link to Smugmug gallery.]

This is Sir Sam Fay, since the only GCR-livery photo of City of Manchester I could find wasn't as shiny. But for myself I prefer the look of the earlier, small-boilered, 4-4-2s and 4-6-0s.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Now THIS is a compound, note the different cylinder diameters. These locos were so good the last was built well into the diesel age back in 1952. The N&W was 100% steam then, but the diesels came and gradually usurped steam.

image.png.2b79b696824efb8350da219cf2750a7a.png

Noisy video of these fantastic locos. I have a Rivarossi HO model from many years ago, in the display cabinet.

Jeez - imagine making one of those from a kit; enough to make even the hardest modeller cry with fear...... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, polybear said:

Jeez - imagine making one of those from a kit; enough to make even the hardest modeller cry with fear...... 

Dead easy, snaps together, no gluing !!!!!!!

image.png.1be87f1509c778263116568ccb8d201f.png

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I suspected I might need to resort to images. I hope that posting this here is OK - a heavy crop of my reference photo of a published image.

Pat3_crop.jpg.7f3498394cfdc12ae592a6bffff39397.jpg

Further apologies / clarification - it's actually ex-LMS locos that are the cases to hand (despite my RMWeb alias - might have to change that to 'LMS6229' one day to better reflect modelling projects going forward).

The lettering depicted is described as 10" block style, applied mainly at Crewe, from what I understand.

Thanks, in anticipation.

That looks like the LMS 1946 numbers. There are drawings of these in 'An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives' by Jenkinson & Essery,  Volume 1 (page 201 in he edition I have)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

A couple of compounds in 7mm scale.

Now you're teasing us with that graceful Robinson atlantic lurking behind the Class J.

Incidentally, Class J No. 1517 was the joint fastest British locomotive of the 19th century, attaining 90 mph during a series of trials when new - c. 1890 -  overseen by W.M. Smith. (I'm uncertain of his position at Gateshead at the time. He had been appointed as Works Manager under McDonnell and ended as Chief Draughtsman under Wilson Worsdell.) The locomotive with which it tied was one of S.W. Johnson's 115 Class "spinners", No. 117, with a service train, with speed over 80 mph maintained over 13 mile, on the long 1:200 down to Bedford, in 1896. The 115 Class were the first Midland engines to have piston valves, which no doubt contributed to their swiftness - Johnson had been encouraged to adopt them by W.M. Smith.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I like the Thompson B2 models. Does anyone know of any evidence of the type working the Harwich-Liverpool boat train, please?

The closest I can see is reference in the RCTS volume to the class making it to Sheffield on the summer only services to/from Manchester when the class was concentrated at Cambridge for their last 2 or 3 years.

Simon 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I like the Thompson B2 models. Does anyone know of any evidence of the type working the Harwich-Liverpool boat train, please?

Good morning Robert,

Quoting from the RCTS Part 2B, after all the class was shedded at Cambridge from 1956..... 'They were used on all the main line duties from that shed and even worked as far afield as Sheffield on the summer 9-15 a.m. to Manchester, returning with the corresponding up train at 3-2 p.m.' (Confirmed in previous post by 65179). Though I trainspotted at Retford from 1955-'56 until after the B2s were withdrawn, I never saw one. Since my memories of the time recall that the only passenger train which ran non-stop east-west through Retford was the boat train (always with a B17, then a 'Britannia'), then can we assume that the B2s' train mentioned stopped in the station? 

Sandra, of course, is building a B2 for Retford.............

867494616_Retford23422B2.jpg.cca9a54186afc3c053ac02db3b2eda91.jpg

Built from a DMR kit (I think).

I built one in EM several years ago when the kit was released (it was written up in BRM). It was going to be used on the putative Audley End, but what eventually happened to the loco (and the Audley End project), I have no idea. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

Quoting from the RCTS Part 2B, after all the class was shedded at Cambridge from 1956..... 'They were used on all the main line duties from that shed and even worked as far afield as Sheffield on the summer 9-15 a.m. to Manchester, returning with the corresponding up train at 3-2 p.m.' (Confirmed in previous post by 65179). Though I trainspotted at Retford from 1955-'56 until after the B2s were withdrawn, I never saw one. Since my memories of the time recall that the only passenger train which ran non-stop east-west through Retford was the boat train (always with a B17, then a 'Britannia'), then can we assume that the B2s' train mentioned stopped in the station? 

I could not find the train referred to in the 1957 summer timetable but there was a dated Fridays and Saturdays Ely-Manchester Central and return, which appears to a have been a relief train for the boat train. The relief train did not call at Retford in either direction. 

I have seen a photo of a B1 on the boat train at Retford. It is not captioned as such but is very clearly the boat train. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I have seen a photo of a B1 on the boat train at Retford. It is not captioned as such but is very clearly the boat train. 

Not as easy to spot as it was in  1949/50 though I'm sure Robert!

A 1950 one from Rail Online:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p319746925/h15107f58

2 end door thirds and a BG followed by a Tavern car pair tends to stand out.

Simon

Edited by 65179
to make comment less opaque

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I built one in EM several years ago when the kit was released (it was written up in BRM). It was going to be used on the putative Audley End, but what eventually happened to the loco (and the Audley End project), I have no idea. 

I can't speak for the loco but I do know that the Audley End layout did not come to fruition.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, johndon said:

I can't speak for the loco but I do know that the Audley End layout did not come to fruition.

Thanks John,

I'd like to know what came of it. I built it as 61632 after it became ROYAL SOVEREIGN, with the ex-P1 tender. 

The whole thing worked out quite well. Mike Russell donated the kit, I provided the wheels/motor, built it, and Ian Rathbone painted it. The Audley End team paid for Ian's painting and I was paid for writing the article. Mike got a set of pictures, one of which he used on the kit's box afterwards. I tested and photographed it (only on film I'm afraid) on Retford, and it was handed over to the quartet of Martin Lloyd, Mark Lloyd, Richard Nice and Harry Anstess (along with Norman Venus, the builders of Biggleswade). It could have ended up in France with Harry, though who's got it now, I don't know. If it's never going to be used, I'd like to get it back (at a fee, of course) for use on Retford. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1