Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

On Sunday, I'll be helping a chap build a DJH A1 (he's a relative newcomer to kit-building).

In preparation..............

DJHA16015801.jpg.f0589e39118c19656d96d397979b3a71.jpg

I started this one of my own this morning. 

It'll be 60158 ABERDONIAN. 

Hello Tony, I know you build at some speed, but are you saying that this was done from a box of bits in one morning?

If so, did you skip breakfast? 🙂

• Funny 3

6 hours ago, MJI said:

OK Got a strange request here.

The Airfix Mainline Hornby 2P.

I got a cheap non runner off Ebay, faulty loco chassis.

Currently reassembling, but upon dismantiling found a hand rail knob missing, so thought grab one off the tender.

Well the tender ones are smaller.

Does anyone have any of the boiler handrail knobs off one available? All of mine in packets do not match.

Also is it worth selling the tender chassis?

I converted it to a MR version.

Good evening Martin,

I'll have a look for you. From memory, the 2P handrails are like little 'footballs' from years ago. I've probably got some, to which you're most-welcome.

Please PM me your address. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Chas,

No; I opened the box in the morning, and reached that stage in the picture by mid-afternoon (having had both breakfast and lunch). 

I'd have done a lot more today had I not been up against a tight deadline to photograph, video and write a review of Hornby's latest die-cast A4.....

HornbyDubloA4R397312.jpg.b40206230c6662f7171ea9daf4fd7785.jpg

It's a very impressive locomotive.

I also had to photograph another of Hornby's new locos...............

HornbyOriginalMerchantNavy21C1R343401.jpg.65aaafc52d9d02636904fcf512e30a5e.jpg

The original 'Merchant Navy'.

As it was, I still found the time to get the new A1 up and running on the layout.............

DJHA16015802.jpg.bcb4ec832f199a1e12ea9651520e52b9.jpg

Even at this stage, it easily handled a heavy express.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

"If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run..."

Here's to productive days...🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'd have done a lot more today had I not been up against a tight deadline to photograph, video and write a review of Hornby's latest die-cast A4.....

HornbyDubloA4R397312.jpg.b40206230c6662f7171ea9daf4fd7785.jpg

It's a very impressive locomotive.

Hello Tony,

It would be interesting to learn what action, if any Hornby have implemented to ensure that the dreaded "Mazak Rot" (distortion) won't affect this Loco (or others in the range, for that matter); it's got a high price tag and to discover that the Loco is starting to distort just outside the warranty period would be rather upsetting, to say the least!  Perhaps they should start offering a 10-year warranty against such a defect?

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Hello Tony,

It would be interesting to learn what action, if any Hornby have implemented to ensure that the dreaded "Mazak Rot" (distortion) won't affect this Loco (or others in the range, for that matter); it's got a high price tag and to discover that the Loco is starting to distort just outside the warranty period would be rather upsetting, to say the least!  Perhaps they should start offering a 10-year warranty against such a defect?

Cheers,

Brian

Good morning Brian,

I have no idea whether or not Hornby has implemented anything to ensure that Mazak rot will not occur in its new range of 'Hornby Dublo' locomotives.

All I can say at the moment is.............

HornbyDubloA4R397313.jpg.d54405c273aba2f0b5092131ed65407f.jpg

It's a superb looking locomotive, beautifully-finished and with performance to match (it's such a shame that it's a single chimney A4 in earlier BR green condition, otherwise I might have been tempted to run it on Little Bytham in the sequence. Perhaps I should renumber/rename it to 60009 UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA, because, if I change the BR device as well, it'll suit the summer of 1958, though '9' never worked the 'Lizzie' in that year - or 'The Queen of Scots' south of Newcastle. Doing that, of course, will 'devalue' it. What is its high price tag, please?).

As for Mazak rot, I had a Hornby Brush Type 2's chassis crumble away, and parts of the chassis of a T9, so it must be a concern for Hornby (though I think it's now resolved).   

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

What is its high price tag, please?).

Regards,

Tony. 

The high price refers to the retail price vs the retail price of a plastic body regular range model. Because of Mazak rot issues in the past some people consider the material a bit of a ‘bogeyman’ and anything using it or a similar compound will deteriorate as soon as it’s out of warranty. While it has been an issue with some models in the past, the volume of models produced without the issue, across all manufacturers and scales across the years should logically, note logically, indicate that it’s not as big an issue as is frequently made out. However….

Edited by PMP
Add word
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, PMP said:

The high price refers to the retail price vs the retail price of a plastic body regular range model. Because of Mazak rot issues in the past some people consider the material a bit of a ‘bogeyman’ and anything using it or a similar compound will deteriorate as soon as it’s out of warranty. While it has been an issue with some models in the past, the volume of models produced without the issue, across all manufacturers and scales across the years should logically, note logically, indicate that it’s not as big an issue as is frequently made out. However….

Good morning Paul,

I think you're right, and I'd be very surprised if the metal used in the latest Hornby high-end models were to deteriorate. 

However, there was something of an 'epidemic' of metal rot in the Brush Type 2s, with extreme examples 'bursting' the plastic body shell. Many T9s suffered as well, not to mention the large number of splitting (plastic) gear trains in some Hornby models. That said, I think all issues have been resolved now.

Years and years ago, one of my sister-in-law's boyfriends (she had several), knowing my interest in model railways, said he'd had a Graham Farish train set as a boy (his parents must have been well-off!). It had been in his loft for decades, and he found it out. We opened the box to reveal a 'Black Five', some track and some wagons. On picking up the loco, the whole Mazak chassis block crumbled and disintegrated into dust, leaving the wheels, motion and body intact (the motor was in the tender). 

I believe similar things occurred with some pre-War Hornby O Gauge models.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Brian,

I have no idea whether or not Hornby has implemented anything to ensure that Mazak rot will not occur in its new range of 'Hornby Dublo' locomotives.

Perhaps I should renumber/rename it to 60009 UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA, because, if I change the BR device as well, it'll suit the summer of 1958, though '9' never worked the 'Lizzie' in that year - or 'The Queen of Scots' south of Newcastle.

Regards,

Tony. 

It would be a very rare bird on the QoS North of Newcastle too, Tony. While I suppose it did happen from time to time,an A4 was not the usual motive power.Haymarket A2 and A3. were the rostered locos. I have a couple of photos of Highland Chieftain on the train, with the only photographer evidence of an A4 being Golden Plover at Queens Street in the 60,s. Merlin/Eric may know better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Paul,

I think you're right, and I'd be very surprised if the metal used in the latest Hornby high-end models were to deteriorate. 

However, there was something of an 'epidemic' of metal rot in the Brush Type 2s, with extreme examples 'bursting' the plastic body shell. Many T9s suffered as well, not to mention the large number of splitting (plastic) gear trains in some Hornby models.

Regards,

Tony. 

I’m aware of the class 31 issues, they’re well documented. An ‘epidemic’ though? There was certainly a batch of chassis castings that caused problems, but not all liveries of the model (31), released simultaneously were affected. Other manufacturers and types (worldwide) have had problems over the years too, for anyone interested there a whole thread and list here :-

It’s generated heaps of froth and hyperbole over the years, to the extent that you’ll easily find foamers coming to the conclusion that Hornby Mazak = bad, don’t buy, regardless of the release date or prototypes of any models. Also much discussion about the storage conditions affecting the damage, but if the metal is impure, it’s going to happen. What it boils down to is that the suppliers of the Mazak casting’s to Hornby et al, had impure materials in them which subsequently have expanded. An unforeseen problem for the manufacturers because it’s metallurgical/time dependent and manifests itself well after any warranty period expires. Hornby to their credit, (in my experience), have supplied replacement castings and repairs.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Back to Hornby's 60007...........

60007prototype.jpg.474f52cdc129155b0fded8678952febc.jpg

Had I set Little Bytham's period as 1957, it would be fine.

Ascending Gamston Bank shortly after passing Retford on an Up express in the summer of 1957. I'd have to fit AWS, of course. 

So Biggleswade 1956 would be fine then. 
Tomorrow’s visit to honest Tone’s could see me leaving with a much lighter wallet again. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

On 22/04/2023 at 12:00, Buhar said:

Are you sure?  17mm is 4'3", 4'8" is a little more than 18.6mm.  56 inches at 1:76 is 0.736" x 25.4 gives 18.7mm.

Alan

I did say 17mm ish, ishhhh could extend to 18.7mm 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's a superb looking locomotive, beautifully-finished and with performance to match (it's such a shame that it's a single chimney A4 in earlier BR green condition, otherwise I might have been tempted to run it on Little Bytham in the sequence.

That new Hornby A4 is indeed a beautiful looking model, but I'm just a bit disappointed that it's just a copy of the existing plastic model which itself is getting a bit long in the tooth now.  In particular, it's a pity they didn't come up with a way of reproducing the turn under of the cylinder covers, as IMHO the flat sided cylinders detract from what is otherwise still a very good model. 

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, geoff west said:

So Biggleswade 1956 would be fine then. 
Tomorrow’s visit to honest Tone’s could see me leaving with a much lighter wallet again. 

A pair of quad-arts from Ellis Clark Trains will lighten the wallet a bit more!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

That was my first thought. But I was told it didn't present a problem, but was not ideal. 

Having worked on the railways in the late 70's/80's it was very common that what wasn't working practice at one place was completely different elsewhere, even within the same district.

I was quite sceptical about the working, but conversations with ex railwaymen seemed to prove otherwise. I did try and find some of the train registers for Sandy, but those available did not cover the period or working in question.

Hello again Chris

I don't wish to appear to doubt your word, but I always try to get to 'the facts' when questions such as this arise. And I do fully appreciate that 'local practices' did abound.

However, I have been informed as below (with grateful thanks to Stephen Pearce of Robert Carrolls' BRCS Group):

There is a reproduction of the LNER drawing of the close coupling arrangement between the two half sets in the LNER Society Journal 79 (Autumn 2019) in an article about articulated coaches on the LNER.

The drawing shows that the drawbar of each coach had a forked end with holes through the forked pieces - there was no conventional draw hook on either coach.  Pins passed though the holes in each of the forked end pieces and through the single link which coupled the two coaches together.

The drawing gives the distance between the headstocks of the adjacent coaches as 1ft 6.5inches.

The article also includes good side on photographs of each vehicle in the set, including showing the coupling between each half, in which the very short buffers can be seen.

I am not a member of the LNER Society so do not have a copy. I am pretty convinced that the HMRS article author assumed that a Quad Art was four coaches. If we had the relevant Guard's Journal, it would help.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Arun,

It has been painted, by Geoff Haynes (beautifully).....

DJHRavenA230.jpg.c2a631aeb1f8b885246d60f83b85ddc9.jpg

It's now the property of Jesse Sim, and it resides in Australia. 

weatheredRavenA202.jpg.449bcf6d6f54f11f72eecb1aac13c9d3.jpg

He weathered it (bravely!).

weatheredRavenA201A.jpg.62bd16f20dcbc939f84159f0d51ac07f.jpg

And brought it back with him during his recent stay with us, where it ran again on Little Bytham (and on Grantham). 

Regards,

Tony.

Thank you - Well done - It looks magnificent. I wonder whether there are 7mm kits available........... 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

I don't wish to appear to doubt your word, but I always try to get to 'the facts' when questions such as this arise. And I do fully appreciate that 'local practices' did abound.

Not a problem, I was very sceptical about the working hence looking further into it.  It does prove that even when those that were there at the time are adamant that it was only a 4 car set, there are practical obstacles that seem unlikely to have been overcome.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 31A said:

That new Hornby A4 is indeed a beautiful looking model, but I'm just a bit disappointed that it's just a copy of the existing plastic model which itself is getting a bit long in the tooth now.  In particular, it's a pity they didn't come up with a way of reproducing the turn under of the cylinder covers, as IMHO the flat sided cylinders detract from what is otherwise still a very good model. 

That was my immediate impression too. It is a feature I always look at on model A4s to see if they have been done properly or are fudged because it is wrong on so many models.

I have seen a small number of 4mm models where the feature is modelled correctly, including an example that was shown on this thread some while ago when the A4 cylinder arrangement was discussed previously. I can't remember whose it was but they had done an excellent job of modelling the cylinder shape properly. If they could do it, why can't everybody?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

That was my immediate impression too. It is a feature I always look at on model A4s to see if they have been done properly or are fudged because it is wrong on so many models.

I have seen a small number of 4mm models where the feature is modelled correctly, including an example that was shown on this thread some while ago when the A4 cylinder arrangement was discussed previously. I can't remember whose it was but they had done an excellent job of modelling the cylinder shape properly. If they could do it, why can't everybody?

Could have been mine!

IMG_3859.jpeg.7b146a97d8f29ce1b56ce66f7a18dc17.jpeg

IMG_3870.jpeg.8e59f150cbcb6ae80f08b665f8e8c6d1.jpeg

27 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

If they could do it, why can't everybody?

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2