Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, PMP said:

The Heljan UK operations are doing well. 

It appears to have originated from a poorly edited Danish local Tv interview which changed the context of parts of the conversation. 

That is good news, I must confess I hadn't picked up on the poorly edited/translation issue.  

Thank you for the clarification

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lezz01 said:

As a former toolmaker I can agree with Bernard. We make what the design office draws. The tools were made to the specification of the drawing, It's not the toolmakers fault if the design of the part was gash to start with. 

Regards Lez. 

However a good toolmaker would question tolerances if his experience indicated that they were not going to work. He would go back to the designer and forward to the machine setter to ensure that they were all singing from the same hymn sheet. I worked with one who would say something on the lines of 'I have made dimensions x and y to drawing, can you try it in a press and let me know what you think as it might need one part polishing off a bit to get the best out of it'. Now, with production in China such cooperation is not possible. It is a case of do your job and pass it on to the next person. There is a limited number of sourses available I am amzzed that some of them still want to get involved in making model trains when there are far more profitable ways of earning a crust.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I cannot speak from a position of much experience of Heljan's OO diesels (though I have photographed many of them).

I do, however, have two which run on Little Bytham (alternating as light engines in the sequence on their way to Doncaster). 

HeljanBabyDeltic.jpg.73eeeda680c08ec9941d1d37714dfe9c.jpg

This was how I received the Baby Deltic.........

HeljanEEBabyDeltic.jpg.0d11b5e0f02cf7c6cbc7897499c04c85.jpg

But, I thought it looked 'more-realistic' after I'd weathered it.

HeljanBRCWType2.jpg.fe2f63531e7cefc233a1365d311f1ba8.jpg

I also weathered the Birmingham RC&W Type 2.

I have no idea whether these models are 'accurate', though what I would say is that both are absolutely beautiful runners. Not only that, they're far, far superior to anything I could ever build in diesel-outline. 

You can't beat a nice weathered diesel... But might be worth putting a bit of dark paint (green or black) on the edge of the headcode discs to reduce their chunkiness.

Andy G

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Such a shame Tom seems to have lost interest in these things, Tony, because he's really rather good at it!  I know experts will find any number of faults with them, but these images also show just how good diesel models have been for many years; cab window thickness aside I still think the Mainline Peak looks great, especially considering the design is 40 years old.

By the way, your footage of Hornby's "Dublo" A4 racing through Little Bytham, especially the telephoto shots from under the M&GN bridge, are wonderful, thanks for those.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Such a shame Tom seems to have lost interest in these things, Tony, because he's really rather good at it!  I know experts will find any number of faults with them, but these images also show just how good diesel models have been for many years; cab window thickness aside I still think the Mainline Peak looks great, especially considering the design is 40 years old.

By the way, your footage of Hornby's "Dublo" A4 racing through Little Bytham, especially the telephoto shots from under the M&GN bridge, are wonderful, thanks for those.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Tom's 'hobby' interests took a different course some years ago (20, probably) when he took up the challenge of rebuilding 'classic' cars, one of his current efforts being an E-Type Jag! 

I've yet to see the Hornby Dublo A4 in action on LB. I shoot the footage, it's edited at BRM, and, despite my being assured of seeing it, I'm probably the last to do so. Where can it be found, please? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of Golden Age Models; does anyone know if the firm is still trading? 

Companies Houses suggests they are still trading.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Does anyone understand their financial statements? The latest for 2022 is just a balance sheet with stocks & funds representing a financially viable company, but there is no Profit & Loss statement. Are they delivering any models to customers as they seem to have significant current assets. In contrast there was a P & L in their previous financial statement for 2019 with a turnover of more than £500,000. Were they just collecting pre-payments for models yet to be delivered?

I have a direct interest as I paid in full for an OO gauge streamlined Merchant Navy in 2013 & paid a £250 deposit for a streamlined P2 in 2014. I have heard nothing since! I am feeling considerably more foolish than Tony.

William

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, ecgtheow said:

Does anyone understand their financial statements? The latest for 2022 is just a balance sheet with stocks & funds representing a financially viable company, but there is no Profit & Loss statement. Are they delivering any models to customers as they seem to have significant current assets. In contrast there was a P & L in their previous financial statement for 2019 with a turnover of more than £500,000. Were they just collecting pre-payments for models yet to be delivered?

I have a direct interest as I paid in full for an OO gauge streamlined Merchant Navy in 2013 & paid a £250 deposit for a streamlined P2 in 2014. I have heard nothing since! I am feeling considerably more foolish than Tony.

William

IANAL but sadly that's outside the six year time limit for a Small Claims Court action (or Section 75 Chargeback if the payment was via Credit Card).  Have you tried writing to them (Recorded Delivery) and asked what's happened?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

IANAL but sadly that's outside the six year time limit for a Small Claims Court action (or Section 75 Chargeback if the payment was via Credit Card).  Have you tried writing to them (Recorded Delivery) and asked what's happened?

Do a Google search on Quentin Poore - an interesting judgement on his (failed) claim for £4m+ damages against Santander Bank.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Salt in wounds! I bought the review sample of the GA Devon Belle obo car just before the Hornby one was announced. From memory the GA one has very bluish-white lighting and the Hornby one' s lighting is much more realistic. Can't think when I last ran either of them ! (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some more examples/comparisons of Golden Age's models...............

I think the proprietor didn't like it too much when I was asked to photograph some of his latest models. Particularly when I pointed out....................

26A160156GoldenAge.jpg.63a3a652abcbb5d96b126ced09be7820.jpg

That this O Gauge A1 should not have a red tender drawplate, that roller bearing-fitted A1s only had one lubricator, had round ends to their axle boxes and, being Doncaster-built, had snap-head rivets on the tender!

He was on surer ground with his.............

GoldenAgeA4s12.jpg.b8056495a8d615e9f265c932eb611d18.jpg

O Gauge A4s; 60007 in current preserved guise, though the plaque on the casing is missing. 

GoldenAgeMN3500401.jpg.f5d2e5221ac9fdda3c9863772fca6668.jpg

A good job seemed to be made of the original MN (in O Gauge).

GoldenAgeMN3502201.jpg.1fc0ae0b492e9222094674630a091934.jpg

And (also in O Gauge), a rebuilt version. 

These do seem to be beautiful models, so what happened?

600270nUpElizabethan.jpg.c4731587c35b094afb637a459034f05b.jpg

My GAM A4 again. 

And, in comparison...........

6002702.jpg.58552e86daa5e0e3335825f264d416a2.jpg

Eric Kidd's (I think it's Eric's) much-modified Hornby equivalent. In many ways, it's more-accurate - note the strip at the base of the tender tank (a relic from its 'Coronation' hauling days) and the uniform relief of the cladding bands. 

All at a fraction of the price!

So what if the cod's mouth doesn't open?

I spoke of price comparisons...........

GoldenAgePullmanObservationCar02.jpg.caf475f6037ea85083d5252568fa58ba.jpg

HornbyPullmanObservationCarR437701.jpg.8f19f1d9535c68eb3bc8fff11ed56f59.jpg

One cost near ten times the price of the other! 

The amount of relief on all the Hornby boiler "bands" is rather too much so at least the alternate Golden Age ones are more to scale thickness and  the Golden Age one managed to get the proper curve at the lower edge of the cylinders. If they could do it, why do others struggle to get that feature correct? I see the GA model has a properly built up multi layer expansion link too. Whether such minor differences warrant a huge price gap isn't for me to say as my only 4mm A4 is my late father's old Hornby Dublo "Golden Fleece" and I have no need of another one, although I did weaken and purchase a Hatton's O Gauge model of Silver Link in original condition when they were selling them off with hefty discounts.

Was the valve gear on the O Gauge locos adjustable or is Sir Nigel condemned to run for ever in reverse?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The amount of relief on all the Hornby boiler "bands" is rather too much so at least the alternate Golden Age ones are more to scale thickness and  the Golden Age one managed to get the proper curve at the lower edge of the cylinders. If they could do it, why do others struggle to get that feature correct? I see the GA model has a properly built up multi layer expansion link too. Whether such minor differences warrant a huge price gap isn't for me to say as my only 4mm A4 is my late father's old Hornby Dublo "Golden Fleece" and I have no need of another one, although I did weaken and purchase a Hatton's O Gauge model of Silver Link in original condition when they were selling them off with hefty discounts.

Was the valve gear on the O Gauge locos adjustable or is Sir Nigel condemned to run for ever in reverse?

Good morning Tony,

I noticed the 'reverse' position of SNG's radius rod, but didn't comment. I'll check to see if other A4s in the range have the same feature.

Have you added vertical handrails to the cabsides on your Hatton's A4? A very strange omission.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

I noticed the 'reverse' position of SNG's radius rod, but didn't comment. I'll check to see if other A4s in the range have the same feature.

Have you added vertical handrails to the cabsides on your Hatton's A4? A very strange omission.

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning Tony.

The Hatton A4 has only been out of its box for a test run but will hopefully get a coat of looking at one day, including adding some proper coal, lamps, a crew and the missing handrails plus a touch of weathering. I bought it mainly for the connection with my father in law, who saw the first run of the real thing in 1935. The old boy passed away recently at the age of 95 but he liked the model very much and I am glad he got to see it and it certainly stirred up some memories for him.

I have a few RTR locos of types that I would probably not spend time building as they don't fit my theme but I just like them. Cock O' the North in original form and Great Northern in GNR livery in 4mm and Silver Link in 7mm.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of Golden Age Models; does anyone know if the firm is still trading? 

This has brought back some memories!

Here are a couple of photos of GAM A4's and coaching stock

DSC05075.JPG.3c81ffcdb8657171bcad9c4776ef0ace.JPG

DSC05093.JPG.ba91d3ad0afb3885e87c9621e20a51b7.JPG

There was a few pictures added to the GA thread explaining how to reduce the rolling resistance / drag on the coaches. Alas, those pictures are no more unless I get to reload them?

They were converted from plain to pin point bearings at the wheelsets. This did the job, and stopped the poor old A4's struggling with wheel slip.

DSC05083.JPG.7907f52d990f4d433b7c211db1b0fdc7.JPG

To:

DSC05089.JPG.9a79c2da6509729ff33d91544c624182.JPG

The bogies also had the very strong spring which was replaced with a spacer to free them up on curves

DSC05082.JPG.766982df7880247dc7463f68e4b1fe38.JPG

To:

DSC05091.JPG.f0d4831c296dd26f994d13a1bce64da1.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5