RMweb

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, micklner said:

Tony,

Where have I ever said "Terrible, Frightful or Rough for any of your builds ?.

I have commented on your useage of motors/gearboxes oversized for the kit you have built where they fill; the cab etc, and other minor points none with such terms ever being used. On this occasion your model had no Brakes fitted, only what I presume are the hangers on view and the word "Ugh" for the 1980's or earlier valve gear.

You have made numerous comments re faults on my models in the past on here , normally on re very minor aspects, I have read the same on other peoples builds as well !!.

The last posted on this thread by yourself  was relating to photos of some of  my Thompson Pacifics builds,  where you queried whether they were built straight, you even asked for further  3/4 views of the same models  . I posted other photos proving they were indeed straight , sadly you never responded any further either way with any further viewpoint. You then have said recently  its ok on another post  on here "that it does'nt matter if things are'nt that straight on occasions".

I have no problem with any constructive criticisms that come either way on here or elsewhere . They are useful on further builds, if they are not possible to be rectified,  on the particular  build in question.

The Valve Gear on your latest build is sorry,  poor quality hence "Ugh" and reflects 1980's or even earlier standards whenever they were actually made. Comments re hiding with weathering is not good advice for other modellers.

I still have a dislike or the excuse of "layout" useage  for any faults. It gives the wrong impression to many other model builder, as to how to build any kind of models.

IMHO

Regards Mick

Good evening Mick,

The words you quote are what the (Concise) Oxford English Dictionary uses to define 'horrid'. Which is how you described the valve gear on my K2 model. 

Have I ever used such derogatory descriptions in commenting on your models? Or 'Ugh'? Or used such terms to describe other people's models? I never will!

Weathering any model's motion is not necessarily to hide any faults. It's just prototypical, and I'll always advise it. 

I stand firmly by my use of the term 'layout loco'. I didn't coin it, it was first used by Iain Rice and I'm more than happy to 'plagiarise' it. In fact, I consider it a compliment to one of the most-influential modellers of a generation, and certainly not in any way an 'excuse'. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 13

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Mick,

The words you quote are what the (Concise) Oxford English Dictionary uses to define 'horrid'. Which is how you described the valve gear on my K2 model. 

Have I ever used such derogatory descriptions in commenting on your models? Or 'Ugh'? Or used such terms to describe other people's models? I never will!

Weathering any model's motion is not necessarily to hide any faults. It's just prototypical, and I'll always advise it. 

I stand firmly by my use of the term 'layout loco'. I didn't coin it, it was first used by Iain Rice and I'm more than happy to 'plagiarise' it. In fact, I consider it a compliment to one of the most-influential modellers of a generation, and certainly not in any way an 'excuse'. 

Regards,

Tony.  

We beg to differ .

Quoting a Dictionary is nothing to do with anything I wrote , a very simple common  word to me , that describes something that could have been done better if a bit more time had been taken.

Perhaps less criticism of other peoples builds may help in the future ?.

I'm off.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, grahame said:

As a break from the current little disagreement over comments, here's something a little different. There are no steamers or motion to comment on, in fact there are no trains at all. And I've not even laid any track (yet) but here's a pic of the latest development of my N/2mm layout. The buildings are only simply temporarily plonked in place. You can just make out where the lines will run with the bridge sides roughly in place in front of the cream/fawn coloured buildings - they will run behind the shop row on the left and off scene;

DSC05075percrred.jpg.741f504f81f8d0ad535d780459145e7f.jpg

Congratulations on both the quality & particularly the speed at which you produce these buildings. I knew the area well in the late 60s & early seventies as I did my clinical medical training at Guys Hospital so recognise most of the buildings. Could you remind us of the period you are modelling, please?

William

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ecgtheow said:

Could you remind us of the period you are modelling, please?

It's tricky as the a period I'm trying to model and capture - late 70s/early 80s to early 90s (when NSE ended and privatisation took effect) - saw a lot of change. 

It's between the two major rebuilds that the real station has undergone in the last century, firstly, the infamous 1972 to 1978 rebuild under British Rail, and then the 21st century redevelopment in 2012 to 2018 under Railtrack. And even in the dozen or so years I'm modelling there were many changes (buildings torn down, new ones built, pubs closed, shops changing hands and so on).

Edited by grahame
Correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

I was once told to behave to which I replied I am behaving but badly

My mother used to say 'you can behave if you try'. There has been a reasonable amount of subsequent evidence to suggest she was wrong. Sorry Mum.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, James Fitzjames said:

Told my wee son to behave once, he responded by telling me he was 'being have'

At a young age I was told to behave, to which it is said I replied "I am have".

(To rhyme with shave.)

• Like 2

I'd just like to add my support for the Expo EM North show. Another great effort by all concerned, and I would encourage all who can to go & visit. Excellent layouts, good trade support and always nice to meet up with folk one knows. Seeing Tony & Mo was a bonus - and I'm delighted to hear that the sale of the goodies he took went well 👍

Mark

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Tony Gee is there with his latest (under construction) EM layout, Grimesthorpe (for Attercliffe). 

He was having a few electrical gremlins, so I left him be (I'm a Pariah when I look at layouts, causing even the best-running to fail!). 

But not severe enough problems to require one of those pre-printed & laminated apology notices seen on a layout at York, possibly in 2019?

48 minutes ago, gr.king said:

But not severe enough problems to require one of those pre-printed & laminated apology notices seen on a layout at York, possibly in 2019?

Good morning Graeme,

Nowhere near enough (at least what you cite was a case of 'future-proofing'!).

No, poor Tony was the struggling with some dodgy switches, it would appear (bought cheaply off the internet), resulting in his being unable to isolate locos having arrived with a train (I tried to help - foolishly - by suggesting a rail break wasn't wide enough, only resulting in getting a finger nail stuck in it!). At least he was still able to run trains. 

The first showing of a layout at a show (any layout, built by anyone) is always fraught with potential problems (how do I know this?), and Tony Gee will sort any out. His new layout has great potential, anyway; especially with his work, Malcolm Crawley's work, Sid Stubb's work and George Norton's work running on it. 

Enjoy Expo today.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5