Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Only if fully working rolls of Izal!

image.png.1735d1e8707df3c4a340837227933014.png

I've still got half a roll for spacing gears!

Those loo rolls are only useful for two things. Setting the points in distributers and setting the gearsets in model locos. It's what we used back in the 60s at home until I mutinied after using soft at friends houses.

It's not like it worked as loo roll, still it's better than torn up newspaper eh?

Regards Lez. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Those loo rolls are only useful for two things. Setting the points in distributers and setting the gearsets in model locos. It's what we used back in the 60s at home until I mutinied after using soft at friends houses.

It's not like it worked as loo roll, still it's better than torn up newspaper eh?

Regards Lez. 

I recall using it for tracing paper when doing homework.

CJI.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

7 hours ago, A Murphy said:

Tony, didn't you also run a GC special for the GCRS a few years back? 

Best wishes,

Alastair M

Good afternoon Alastair,

I honestly can't remember. So many visiting specials have run on Little Bytham that my memory is no longer adequate to process them all!

I'll look back through my archive and see if I can find the photographic evidence.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, MJI said:

Just need to thank CCT for some slightly custom transfers.

LMS design iron ore with correct numbers for tha serpentine fleet.

Shhhhh- hadn't you heard; I don't do bespoke transfers!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, A Murphy said:

Tony, didn't you also run a GC special for the GCRS a few years back? 

Best wishes,

Alastair M

Most likely John quick’s loco with a barnum and a six wheeler. It made the GCRS forward magazine as photographed on little bythem too. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, James Fitzjames said:

Is that the civilian version of the paper that used to have 'Government Issue' stamped on it?

I'd completely forgotten about that - they had it at the local office of the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries & Food that I started working at in 1989. I think we actually kept a sheet, out of sheer incredulity.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2023 at 17:19, nest said:

to avoid any third rail dullness will be going pre group LBSCR.

Overhead wiring then?

On 23/09/2023 at 19:48, nest said:

All smashing layouts as well. Hope Under Dinmore, Buckingham and Burntisland are amongst my personal favourites. 
One that was less well known was built by a late member of the Brighton MRC in 00. I only saw it in the flesh once but due to its size it could be argued that it had to be built to that gauge. 
Built by Doug Hill in 00 based on the LSWR.
729569EE-59E3-40F0-BF79-52538EE84F99.webp.7357012ebb8b00e2b48da41f25b37f81.webp0FF65C56-03C0-4BEF-9CE8-1D50FB40EBBB.webp.5c6fa13207ffb3db64d3f58371c0a52b.webp

Operated to timetable too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barclay said:

I'd completely forgotten about that - they had it at the local office of the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries & Food that I started working at in 1989. I think we actually kept a sheet, out of sheer incredulity.

It was still issued in ration packs when I joined the army in 1980 we called it Bronco Backside Buster!

It did indeed have Government issue on every sheet. Naturally we made our own arrangements.  

Regards Lez. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

It was still issued in ration packs when I joined the army in 1980 we called it Bronco Backside Buster!

It did indeed have Government issue on every sheet. Naturally we made our own arrangements.  

Regards Lez. 

When I was a kid (in the 1970s) both sets of grandparents had two looroll dispensers in every loo or bathroom, one with that tracing paper stuff, one with 'modern', soft, Andrex-type paper. I remember asking both grandmas (at suitably quiet and non-public moments) why they still kept a dispenser with the old stuff, given how much pleasanter to use the modern soft tissue was - a fact neither grandma denied - and they both said, quite independently, that it was because the older type of paper was "what they'd always used when they wre young."

It was one of my earliest observations of the sometimes astonishing power of habit and nostalgia.

(Apologies Tony for prolonging a slightly indelicate subject on what's meant to be a railway modelling thread!)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes.

PXL_20230924_190908955.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

A proper locomotive... just as fast with or without streamlining.. a new fangled fad which really did nothing but add to maintenance time.

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes I totally agree. Streamlining did little or nothing for locomotives other than make them look modern and "now" with regard to the prevailing zeitgeist of the time. There was precious little benefit in terms of air smoothing as wind tunnel testing has shown. All it really did was make them look good and harder to maintain. The problem with streamlining of vehicles is the wheels, the rotation of spoked wheels disturbs the air flow far more than can be compensated for with a bit of streamlining of the front of a vehicle no matter how good it looks. If you doubt me just ask the formula 1 guys about it. They would have been better off if they had sealed the underside of the locos and channelled the airflow to create "downforce". If you round off the corners of a brick it will have better aerodynamics than a racing car or bike. This isn't my opinion it's a fact proven in wind tunnels. 

Regards Lez.    

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

20 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

My offering for budget modelling is something that I played around with over the summer….

Bought at the York show for the princely sum of £3…

IMG_0987.jpeg.6a9aa135fbd22d9e49c1aab748387068.jpeg

This the old Triang brake van. I wondered if it was possible to make a representation of the NER V4 brake van. 

The result was this..

IMG_1610.jpeg.f1e505a3697e0a256a99d7e1b63566ef.jpeg

The dimensions were actually closest to the (unique) prototype of the V4, so that determined the running number.

All meant as a bit of fun for just a few pounds.

Great minds must think alike - well, almost.

Here is my attempt at a budget NER V4.....

20230927_171426_resized.jpg.156a7d613726761d8333fac47bcad45f.jpg

Mine started life as one of these questionable Hornby efforts....

Hornbybreakvan.jpg.b9c2e6dde4b4e8bb21974362dc7743d3.jpg

I'd give it 4 out of 10 (at best) for accuracy, but 10 out of 10 for several enjoyable evenings that cost a few quid. It still needs several small detailing jobs doing but I think I got bored and moved on. 

Cheers

Chris 

• Like 17