Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

So sorry to hear of Peter Townend's death. His book, Top Shed, was an inspiration to me, as were his numerous other articles/books.

I never met him, though I helped him (electronically, and in a very minor way) with his last work for Irwell, expanding on some of the captions.

RIP.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2023 at 16:51, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Likewise with the background, was lead on 6 Sigma  implementation in the early 1970s, and check all my traction purchases, and samples of the new rolling stock, and all s/h purchase rolling stock.

Historical review.

Prior to Bachmann's 'Blue Riband' line which I first encountered in 1999, RTR OO gauging truly was a shambles. But I was only purchasing occasional traction pieces to run outdoors. All the rolling stock - largely kit built - was on kit wheels as were the small number of kit locos I had retained from the 1960s onwards during my 'youthful round' of model railwaying.

Once Hornby corrected their 14.2mm btb on loco drivers from 2003, the only trouble with wheelsets since were wrongly profiled wagon wheels from Dapol, now over a dozen years past. (The btb was 'correct', except that with the profile being in error, since btb is a substitution measurement for gauge it was meaningless).

My track is a mix of Peco streamline, 100, 75, BH, medium and large radius points only (based on a statistically validated reliability assessment), SMP BH including plastic kit base points, Marcway points, my own soldered construction code 75, and I am trying out some Peco code 83 points for 'off-scene' use.

With my statistician hat on it is problematic that I receive correctly gauged product on what constitutes a significant sample size, if Chinese sourcing is considered as a whole, and others do not.

The major problem factor I experience in RTR OO is the variation in coupler designs and their mounting. This would be the leading cause of unsatisfactory running reliability on my layout, did I not evaluate and fix as required, see my posts in thread below.

Yes, the new mini-t/ls are a nightmare. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

If Tony and followers haven't already heard, here's some very sad news. Peter Townend, the last shedmaster of Kings Cross steam depot (Top Shed) until 1963, has died at the grand age of 98. He must have been one of the last surviving significant figures from the BR steam era. What a glorious life he has led.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tributes-yorkshire-railwayman-one-last-120637623.html

A page has been opened in RMweb Obituaries, all are welcome to contribute a few words.

Brian Kirby.

At such a good age I suppose it was inevitable but it is of course no less  sad that one of, if not the, final links with an age and technology we are all so fond of on here has now gone.   

Alan

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

37 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

To speed things up on the new B1.............

Pro-ScaleB105tender.jpg.979320175d8c0af655659bc6c36b6075.jpg

Rather than using the Pro-Scale tender, I've used a spare Bachmann V2 tender body (removing the vacuum cylinder at the rear), fitting it on top of a set of South Eastern Finecast frames. It'll be painted lined black eventually.

The rear coal division plate is in its earlier position, set further back and lower. Many were moved further forwards and raised........

61026.jpg.db517cbb8d7cc103d017d977cb241d85.jpg

But, it would seem, some were never changed at all (I think this is the case, here). 

More to follow. 

Happy days at Lincoln Central-the image brings back so many memories; Brits on the Harwich Boat Train, the fish trains, the holiday excursions to the coast, the Bulleid coach sets on the Cleethorpes-South coast workings, L1s on the Grantham locals, Compounds at St Marks and the main line diversions.  So much variety.  Any more Lincoln photos out there?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Tony; I have a bit of a modeller question if I may?

What's your process for changing a locomotive's identity; I've been considering how to do so for some of my goods engines/stock, but I'd thought I'd get some advice from an expert first- particularly on the 'how to avoid ruining the model/fine details' side.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

There are other methods - solvents/fibreglass brush/etc, and I'm sure others will explain.

As always Tony first class (illustrated) advice.

As you suggest there are alternatives. I use Microscale Micro Sol (red bottle) solution. This is designed to soften decals so that they conform to raised surfaces such as rivet heads. Carefully apply a couple of coats and the number decal should just come away. This has the added benefit of not damaging the surface as you may with abbrasive techniques.

Kind regards,

• Informative/Useful 6

Very well then, I'll keep this in mind; I have something of a medium/long-term plan to get one of Hornby's LNER liveried Q6s, and change it to be #1294, on the basis of 'I saw the clip of Railway Roundabout that she starred in'.

Edited by NZRedBaron

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Now, which B1 to model? 

The replacement Nu-Cast door is the more-bulbous 'GN' type, but with the hingestraps closer together, thus leaving no space to accommodate the numberplate below the top one.

Like this...........

61024GNdoor.jpg.f5557a1604a6d58ce902a7628ff8a3db.jpg

A now-nameless ADDAX (which lamp code is this?). 

One of the pre-requisites for my building a model is that it must be underlined in my Ian Allan Combined Volumes (meaning a 'cop' at some point), and this is. However, since I saw it at Chester on a summer Saturday extra, its chances of being seen at Little Bytham are slim. 

61323GNdoor.jpg.cf5c87871973039965581bd37c9be421.jpg

This would make an interesting one to model, since it definitely would have been seen at LB. It's even more-interesting in being one of two which came down from Scotland (note the characteristic -in-fills on the valance) to be shedded at Peterborough. It's got the right 'door (note the different numberplate position from the one above, and no 'door-step - who'd be a modeller?). The problem is I never saw this example - I did see the other one, but that had a more-common smokebox door.

61304GNdoor.jpg.ef2a4765a61713733717eee1274038f9.jpg

I also saw this one, but it's an NER-allocated example. It's also got the right 'door, but would it have been seen south of Doncaster? 

61000GNdoor.jpg.b9f0426287eca3e014b92f7d1683f646.jpg

This would appear to be the most-common B1 'door. Bulbous and with wider spaced 'straps. 

61406GNdoornormalspacing.jpg.dfff3864cce6f6d343586f6ade14438e.jpg

Like this.............

61406NERdoor.jpg.6f09580477acdf765e0b8ace24dda15a.jpg

But one needs to carefully pick the period modelled. 61406 now sports an NER-style, flatter 'door, with prominent rivets. I say again, who'd be a modeller?

61140GNdoor.jpg.7553a70fadca2692cd7ae489e4feaa3d.jpg

Another style of B1 'door; at least the position of the numberplate - above the top hingestrap, even when there's plenty of space for it below. 

Don't worry, I never saw this one (so it'll never be modelled by me) - nor did I ever see a B1 with a self-weighing tender as far as I can recall. 

61206GNdoor.jpg.4d2c7e2a849ebe2dc381dc9194bf32ad.jpg

Here's another one with a 'Nu-Cast smokebox door'. 

61206model02.jpg.541a5d5347741551cba00386e6da9ac5.jpg

And Tony Geary's lovely model of the same - a Bachmann body (with a replacement 'door, and running on Comet frames). I'm privileged to now call it my property.

I firmly advocate getting prototype pictures of a loco before building a model of it.

6115903.jpg.f9fbb56f4f9c91a4b8d1222099c948a6.jpg

61159model.jpg.231850d3ea0a847749b6b58979227575.jpg

As I did here (though without the painted 'straps). A Bachmann body on Comet frames, though I think the model smokebox door should be more-bulbous. Ah, those joys of loco-picking! 

61208model.jpg.6e0e21c90c45955697d5c1d81f5b4b6a.jpg

I have a Nu-Cast B1 with the type of GNR 'door mentioned.

61139GNdoor.jpg.0eb5202a5d735ce1926cec413c210082.jpg

And, this is the one I'm building my latest B1 model of, 61139. Underlined in my Combined Volume, and photographed several times running on the GN main line (The Power of the B1s/Yeadon's Register).

Finally............

61394GNdoor.jpg.f1f3ea0692b1d238897ea83dd0909bb5.jpg

To scale, the Pro-Scale B1 smokebox door was a greater diameter than that of a V2.

I could model 61394 I suppose. I saw that, too.

Please observe copyright restrictions on the prototype images above. 

Tony,

If you do 61139 will you have to remove the rings of rivets fore and aft on the smokebox for your period? Welded or rivetted smokebox,  yet another detail difference between B1s, as built at least!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

61000 Springbok was a regular sight for me as a small boy, trainspotting around the footbridge over Meadow Lane, Nottingham c. 1960-62 or so. She was a Colwick engine by then and a regular performer on some sort of fish train that came along the LMR Lincoln-Nottingham line late afternoon, just before it was time to go back home for tea. 

The engine was invariably absolutely filthy and almost unrecognisable. And then one afternoon the train appeared, hauled by a positively gleaming B1 which turned out to be 61000. And if memory serves, she pretty much stayed that way until withdrawn in Spring 1962. So for that period you could model the loco in either extreme of condition. 

• Like 4

On 28/10/2023 at 09:17, Tony Wright said:

At the York Show last Easter, I bought a Pro-Scale B1 kit of a friend. 

As far as I know, this was the only kit in the range with a cast metal boiler. In some ways that makes construction easier; as long as the boiler is the right diameter........

Pro-ScaleB101.jpg.6ae4f8a375663482fb6372e2557abcd6.jpg

Which this one wasn't - it's fatter than a K3's boiler! 

A razor saw cut out a section (though even this amount wasn't enough).

When I asked John Sutton about his 3mm Pro-Scale B1(seen earlier), he said he'd made the boiler from brass (either because no cast boiler was supplied, or, if it were, it too was too fat). 

With the requisite amount taken out, the bottom seam was then soldered-up. However, that then resulted in a non-round boiler..........

Pro-ScaleB102.jpg.c6c88c0057f5eb29d9c6d5420e93d099.jpg

Easily squeezed into the correct shape by use of a vice, with the boiler protected by two hardwood 'cheeks' (my emery boards). 

Pro-ScaleB103.jpg.ada84c98e15f476099b7e2f5673748ba.jpg

Now the correct diameter, according to the Isinglass drawing.

Pro-ScaleB104.jpg.ba416997e65fa1a70b8617d5de554837.jpg

The degree of the boiler being over-porcine can be judged by this comparison of smokebox doors.

On the left (over the drawing) is a correct-diameter Nu-Cast door and on the right, the Pro-Scale one - even larger than a K3's! 

With the firebox added, the whole assembly is over-long as well, meaning over a mil' needs taking off at the back end. 

I've seen Pro-Scale B1s made-up without this boiler modification, and they just look daft. 

Having looked at the frames, with their cut-outs for horn blocks and necessary springing/compensation (at source), I thought I can't be bothered; so I've ordered a complete Comet B1 chassis - much more sensible for my needs. 

I'll report on the build as I go along. With at least 15 others, do I need another B1? Of course not, but as the late, great Roy Jackson once told someone in answer to the question of why he kept on building locomotives, his answer was 'It's what I like to do! Which is good enough for me............ 

As I remember Tony, I did warn you about the problems with the boiler. I did exactly the same as you with the couple I have built. As you say, used without modification, it will just look silly. I used the Proscale chassis, including the sprung horn blocks, & they run pretty well on my less than perfect trackwork.

I have to agree with you & Roy Jackson. I have far too many locomotives but it is what I enjoy doing.

Cheers,

Ray. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Millholme Stirling Single

Here are a couple of photos of a model which I was going to sell as is, but it has re-appeared on my workbench after some considerable time. I'm not so much worried about the scale inaccuracies of the loco or tender, I've never finished a single before so it's going to be a challenge. Straight away you can see the loco front is detached, it was being run as an 0-2-2 (at speed) when the weight in the cab fell off and it took a nose dive and bent the front of the whitemetal casting, so I broke it off completely and it will duly be repaired by giving a good soldered fillet. The Romford drivers run well, it's powered by a DS10 which doesn't seem too bad. So what I am after is to tap into the knowledge of clever people on this forum who have experience of modelling "singles". I've picked up a few ideas, a motor in the tender driving a cardan shaft through to the loco driving axle. Somebody on here managed to add spur gears from the main driver to the rear axle to make 4 wheel drive? Pivoting the main driver and rear axle and piggy backing the tender onto the cab for extra weight?

Charlie

SS_1.jpg.7ed4e0821f1d9d3e52b587c3c7580391.jpg

SS_3.jpg.7df439383c94dabb91db6294a2da534e.jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 65179 said:

Tony,

If you do 61139 will you have to remove the rings of rivets fore and aft on the smokebox for your period? Welded or rivetted smokebox,  yet another detail difference between B1s, as built at least!

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I have that in hand - the Pro-Scale rivets are too big, anyway.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

As I remember Tony, I did warn you about the problems with the boiler. I did exactly the same as you with the couple I have built. As you say, used without modification, it will just look silly. I used the Proscale chassis, including the sprung horn blocks, & they run pretty well on my less than perfect trackwork.

I have to agree with you & Roy Jackson. I have far too many locomotives but it is what I enjoy doing.

Cheers,

Ray. 

Good evening Ray,

You did warn me, but I knew already. 

I picked up the Comet B1 chassis today, so I'll be building that very soon. Horn blocks? Horn guides? Springing? Too fiddly for me!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening,

Will the following do?

60803Lincoln.jpg.253fa5009d57ba41b5c696aa996cb2d1.jpg

Lincoln Central had changed surprisingly little by 1987, although the trains were certainly less interesting.  This footbridge must be one of the best-known railway photographic locations in the country.

LincolnCentral1987.jpeg.74b555ead0dd0d5e3201c09541ce0e3b.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I like the double RH tandem, nice! I have a template for one of those although it might be for a left hand version but hey Ho! I can always get a mirror image done. There was a curved one in the coal sidings at Bakewell.

Regards Lez.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening,

Will the following do?

AccidentLincolnsmall.jpg.739fcfd521b600f274a9b5ac25d5102e.jpg

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on these images.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I see the carriage laying on its side wasn't one built by David Jenkinson with all that underframe detail. 😉

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Tony,  

Thanks for the masterclass on renumbering. I have a slightly more challenging proposition! Can you suggest any ideas for changing the identity of two of these wagons as I have three ‘8245’s? They’re Dapol 7mm wagons weathered by yours truly.

IMG_9810.jpeg.bfd2c7863578bcdcfb26d363c8894c52.jpeg

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Lincoln Central had changed surprisingly little by 1987, although the trains were certainly less interesting.  This footbridge must be one of the best-known railway photographic locations in the country.

LincolnCentral1987.jpeg.74b555ead0dd0d5e3201c09541ce0e3b.jpeg

Good morning,

I took several pictures at both of Lincoln's stations in the early-'80s (a few of which have appeared in my Irwell bookazines), and they (naturally) show much the same scene as your picture (though had St. Mark's closed by '87?). 

Today, of course, all the semaphores have gone (are the through lines still in place?).

The church to the left of the signal box must be the closest ecclesiastical building to any railway in the realm.

Speaking of churches (on model railways, and tangentially), I do get tired of so many depicting a wedding or a funeral, or both! The majority of Christian places of worship only ever see much activity on a Sunday, when there'd be fewer trains running. So, if a model Sunday service is ending (with the vicar exchanging goodbyes with the congregation), then any adjacent trains would be few and far between. 

I wonder how many model railways there are with churches on them?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6