Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Dear friend, Tony Teague popped round today for one of his regular visits...........

Bringing with him some incredibly-interesting models, which included........

0-4-0dieselshunter01.jpg.40ae537a5ccbcb2430822a80bb999a54.jpg

0-4-0dieselshunter02.jpg.43aeac81e0969130544ffd9a0ccaf78c.jpg

This SR 0-4-0 diesel shunter.

C14.jpg.0754e0db2db117eab4cfe3c55b36e900.jpg

This C14.

electricshunter01.jpg.037afe1f1fa4d7fc84533d5bda21252b.jpg

electricshunter02.jpg.aa1f9038e325f1507f0f62ebf1dd8039.jpg

This amazing third-rail electric shunter.

tiny4-wheeledshunter.jpg.d562097e822ac2ee991d2fda7df81322.jpg

This diminutive shunter.

Jidenco4-4-0.jpg.e2c9901ff6911e1e14b98db3712d6e56.jpg

And, wait for it, this Jidenco SR 4-4-0.

I'll leave Tony to explain which is which and what is what; much is Mike Edge's work in one form or another.

All ran very well...................

I only built three of them but I think I may have designed the other two…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

electricshunter01.jpg.037afe1f1fa4d7fc84533d5bda21252b.jpg

electricshunter02.jpg.aa1f9038e325f1507f0f62ebf1dd8039.jpg

This amazing third-rail electric shunter.

I think this may now hold the record for, "Most unlikely prototype to run at Little Bytham".  I look forward to seeing one day that someone has brought along a "Kriegslok".....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I think this may now hold the record for, "Most unlikely prototype to run at Little Bytham".  I look forward to seeing one day that someone has brought along a "Kriegslok".....

Yes, and amazingly it seemed to be able to haul a short train despite the absence of any 3rd rail!

Tony

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With all the motion on, that Pro-Scale B1 was given its final road-testing prior to going off to be painted.........

Pro-ScaleB119complete.jpg.a69ba520a27890464d9dc1bd0008df1d.jpg

Pro-ScaleB120complete.jpg.1b5b01f64d698c01841ed2c60c4ad0f5.jpg

Unflattering to Bytham's trackwork these head-on views might be, but the main purpose of the shots is to show the length of the train (which includes several white metal wagons). Yes, a still shot proves nothing about a loco's haulage capabilities, but Tony Teague seemed convinced as the B1 bowled by at a scale 60+. 

Did many B1s run with the numberplate above the top hinge strap? It is a variety that I don't think I have seen before. It just looks a little odd to my eyes.

• RMweb Gold

Reflecting on the discussion above, concerning the various problems that all of us may encounter with our eyesight in old age, I wondered whether the simultaneous debate about OO/EM/P4 and the angle from which pictures are taken really matters at all...................😁

Most of us may not be able to discern any difference.

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

Several B1s ran with the numberplate above the top hinge strap; and it does look odd. The positions varied considerably...........

61054GNdoor.jpg.571236dbce77e07703ac809e31fbfb44.jpg

61087GNdoor.jpg.0175281a8e1df0ce059e2f92549807a4.jpg

61139GNdoor.jpg.cfc28d4da1177a752e0f1a02fd5a8483.jpg

61140GNdoor.jpg.082bc6683b8f446883f5fb8145490e9b.jpg

61206GNdoor.jpg.a0aa3c328184734245a2af6f4f1ac3e8.jpg

61304GNdoor.jpg.94d47a11eb752a29137162d93c38ef18.jpg

61323GNdoor.jpg.338e2e735248237a99754ae5b9436d53.jpg

Please (all) respect copyright restrictions on the above images.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony. Most interesting. It almost gives them more of a Gresley like appearance. Not a look ET would have been going for, I am sure.

I can see why it is, on those doors with the hinges too close together to fit the plate but a couple of those illustrated have the wider spaced straps with room for the number plate under it. There must be a story behind why some were different.

• Like 1

B1 Smokebox doors.

Is this not a story of Darlington North Road Works?

Anyway, are smokebox numberplates not an affectation of the LMS, GWR and suchlike railways?

I always find it a nuisance, having purchased an RTR model otherwise suited for my purposes, when the block of plastic with numbers on it has to be cut away while doing as little damage as possible to the door itself.

Edited by drmditch
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, drmditch said:

B1 Smokebox doors.

Is this not a story of Darlington North Road Works?

Anyway, are smokebox numberplates not an affectation of the LMS, GWR and suchlike railways?

I always find at a nuisance, having purchased an RTR model otherwise suited for my purposes, when the block of plastic with numbers on it has to be cut away while doing as little damage as possible to the door itself.

Midland Railway going back to the 19th Century and adopted by the LMS. BR also adopted them in 1948. Much better idea than having painted numbers on the buffer plank.

You could always buy the versions not in BR livery. I don't think any models have been made with them moulded on when they shouldn't be for decades. Even in Mainline days they were separately fitted items.

GWR version of the 2251 didn't have them, but the BR version did. These came out in 1977!

http://www.mainlinerailways.org.uk/Collett.htm

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

Re: Short Tunnels (and or Bridges.)

"Askham Tunnel, just south of Retford, is the shortest on the ECML (or anywhere?)."

There is High Burnigill (just north of Croxdale Viaduct in County Durham).

According to the ex-NER Line-diagram as published by NER this structure which is 62 miles north of York is referred to as 'Burnigill Bridge'  but is marked with portals called 'Stone Tunnel' in February 1922.  These Diagrams were updated in both LNER and BR days and the structure is marked as 'Rebuilt 1955'

There have been significant landslips in this area recently and consequent engineering works by Durham County Council. 

When my legs are a bit stronger I will go for a winter walk and see if I can find a viewpoint looking along the line.

HighBurnigill.jpg.52b025dce5b044e0761fe317233ac468.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Midland Railway going back to the 19th Century

Not quite so far back - c. 1905 at the earliest, along with putting the number on the tender, North American style. Was this in fact an American practice?

Back in the very early days, it had been common to put the engine number on the chimney, facing forwards. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Dsc_2181.jpg.a206aa3dfc5a87e23a5e73d67d9f8852.jpg

As shot. Hardly convincing at all? 

Grantham50402.jpg.340eb50d7f57a470366f183bb9c81717.jpg

More-convincing? 

But,

Grantham50402lightattheend.jpg.dbeb484c4f03c8bea2e7b6194fefa988.jpg

How far should one go in digital image manipulation? 

The jury's out.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good afternoon Tony, please forgive a possibly nit-picking question, but is there a way to have a gradual fade to black within the tunnel mouth? As it looks to me there, it cuts off the rear of the train a little harshly, just a short way along the side and roof of the first carriage.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Good afternoon Tony, please forgive a possibly nit-picking question, but is there a way to have a gradual fade to black within the tunnel mouth? As it looks to me there, it cuts off the rear of the train a little harshly, just a short way along the side and roof of the first carriage.

This is a bit like the backgrounds in/out of photos debate, showing the height of modelled backscenes versus extended skies etc.. Is the point of the photo about what looks best or a guide to others of how the modeller(s) did whatever it is being photographed? The top one is more useful to show the how they did it (a short bit of screening) the bottom one looks more realistic. It will vary according to where it is used and what the purpose of showing it is.

Edited by john new
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Midland Railway going back to the 19th Century and adopted by the LMS. BR also adopted them in 1948. Much better idea than having painted numbers on the buffer plank.

You could always buy the versions not in BR livery. I don't think any models have been made with them moulded on when they shouldn't be for decades. Even in Mainline days they were separately fitted items.

GWR version of the 2251 didn't have them, but the BR version did. These came out in 1977!

http://www.mainlinerailways.org.uk/Collett.htm

Jason

Hmm, I'm afraid I do have some RTR models dating back decades! Usually re-liveried and slightly modified. 

(It took some time for manufacturers to produce LNER designed locomotives in LNER livery; especially the smaller black ones!

It is indeed helpful when the smokebox door numberplate is absent.

I do quite like the Collet 0-6-0s, but I'm afraid they are not really relevant to County  Durham!      

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

Good afternoon Chas,

I'm sure there is a way, but my skills at digital imagery are limited.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

Short tunnel. The lining was difficult being on a curve and had to clear high / long stock. It's lined with plaster and sprayed black. Built 2001 and still OK. This is O gauge. Track is loose ballasted with bird cage grit, not one problem to date, and makes track realignment / alterations a doddle. Track is Peco.

image.png.609be2ab4e08b11c0bb9eb19ec90eaaa.png

Brit15

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Chas,

I'm sure there is a way, but my skills at digital imagery are limited.

Regards,

Tony. 

I don't know about that Tony - they're considerably far ahead of mine! I did say it was a bit nit-picky. I also should have said that the versions with the point of light visible at the far end of the tunnel are much more effective than those without.

We all do what works best for us: I've hidden the end of a short, non-through road tunnel on my layout with two lorries going in opposite directions, halfway into the tunnel mouth!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is Silkstone No2 tunnel on Wentworth Junction.

IMG_2430small.jpg.1dcce3287134c8cfaa49d572a9403618.jpg

This tunnel is only 74 yards long and on a curve, I use a bin liner curtain at the far end of tunnels and this one is showing a chink of light at the far end. The S1 is banking a loaded steel train on its way up the incline towards Barnsley Junction and Manchester.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

61379number.jpg.7d708e2a6afac78f673042786ce964c6.jpg

For those who are worried that removing any original numbers on their models with a craft knife might scratch the surface...............

An interesting story related by the late Peter Townend in his book Top Shed, of which I have both a signed original copy and the subsequent reprint, concerned 61379 Mayflower. I am sure that anyone who has a copy or has read a copy of his book will remember the story. The occasion concerned an American Society from Boston who had chartered a train to Boston from Kings Cross. The real 61379 Mayflower had been borrowed from Immingham shed to haul the train. Unfortunately the loco was declared unfit at Top Shed having arrived with three driving axles hot. There being no time to effect a repair, and in order not to disappoint, a quick decision was made to renumber Top Shed's own 61179 to 61379 and transfer name and number plates and plaques to masquerade as Mayflower for the special charter. Apparently all went well until some time later a young trainspotter enquired, presumably to Eastern Region HQ, why he had seen two locos numbered 61379 on Top Shed that morning ! The depot, on confessing to the subterfuge, were duly admonished and told not to do it again.        

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

On 17/11/2023 at 16:21, Tony Wright said:

9F92220.jpg.bbcd457cc450fea27b2f3b4935e99fd8.jpg

And, of course, EVENING STAR herself - from Bachmann

Good evening Tony,

Catching up on the thread from a couple of weeks ago. This photo brought back wonderful memories of a day with you at LB, all too long ago.  I would love to revisit again one day, if and when it’s ok for you, and I have a few more things to bring along now.

The Bachmann 92220 in your photo, which breezed through with 15 mainly kit-built carriages behind it, is pretty extensively modified:

Extra weight for improved adhesion and haulage

Loco-tender coupling as per your usual arrangement to reduce the gap 

Loco lifting rings on front frames

Correct pattern front coupling with extra link and bracket

Vacuum pipe

Remove steamheating pipe base from buffer beam

GWR pattern lamp irons

Buffer shank steps on loco and tender

Remove NEM pocket from front bogie and fabricate spring and damper

Gibson front bogie wheels

Gibson smokebox door dart

New handrails with correct pillars

Comet front steps

Cab doors (they're actually tender doors on the model and in real life....)

Tender buffer beam details

Tender coupling "goalpost"

Nameplate and commemorative plate

New injector pipework under fireman's side of cab

Driver's side under cab pipework with Comet fittings and copper wire 

Water pipes from tender to injectors 

Remove steam heating fitting and pipe from side of firebox (only fitted in preservation)

Detail copper pipes and chimney cap as copper not black or brass

return crank adjustment

Is it better than/as good as the new Hornby one? Almost certainly not, in many respects.  Most of what I did is covered by the exquisite detailing of the new one.  Although the under smokebox step needs to go unless you’re modelling 92220 in the last 18 months of active service.  There is also the bonus of there being at least some modelling in mine.  Another consideration is that while I am confident I can make a better looking, running and hauling Black 5 , Scot, Patriot, Jubilee or Coronation by building Comet frames than by using the rtr chassis, I definitely couldn’t guarantee making a similarly improved 9F. One reason is the complexity of 5 axles (that’s just something I haven’t yet done ) but another is the wheels available.   One day I might try. It’s not as if I have much more than Rule 1 to justify a 9F at Camden.

Anyway, best wishes to you, Mo, and all WW readers and contributors.

Iain

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1