Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, MJI said:

Not appearing in searches for me.

As below wrong category

I searched Craftsman Model kits and it came up with that. Just click on the link I posted it'll take you straight to it.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

I searched Craftsman Model kits and it came up with that. Just click on the link I posted it'll take you straight to it.

Regards Lez.

I usually get so much junk i have to drop to locos

• RMweb Gold

Yeh I too get a lot of auto parts as it happens. I've complained to eBay about it on many occasions to no avail. When I click "see similar items" that was on a model railway listing I'm not gonna be looking for service parts for my car. When you do want to find car parts you can never find what you actually want.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Yeh I too get a lot of auto parts as it happens. I've complained to eBay about it on many occasions to no avail. When I click "see similar items" that was on a model railway listing I'm not gonna be looking for service parts for my car. When you do want to find car parts you can never find what you actually want.

Regards Lez. 

Or if looking for car spares, something else entirely.

Or completely wrong vehicle.

But i have had bargains, like an anti roll bar for 80 quid new

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok safe to say now, got an unmade kit from Hattons, search from google, ddk found nothing.

One bit of advice for web use, use multiple search engines.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I agree Robert, sad thing is I am a locoholic,

Hello my name is Clive, I am a locoholic, it all started when I purchased my second Brush type 2. It was the way it looked at me all sad with wonky buffers. I just can't stop.

Talking of class 31s I had thirty one 31s until Gilbert Barnart asked me to foster his poorly Hornby one.

BR had 263 of them . You've got a long way to go.

But you've got 2 more than IM had in 1979

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Clive,

The best I can come up with anything similar is this.............

Years ago (over 20) I was demonstrating at the York Show. Who should come up for a look but the great David Jenkinson? After examining the various ex-LNER Pacifics I'd made, he turned and said 'Tony Wright would be interested in these'.

Regards,

Tony. 

I take it you kept shtum, Tony?

Chris KT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Iain.d said:

Although I’ve not commented, I have read the last few weeks of this thread with interest, there has certainly been some thought provoking stuff, thanks.

I thought I’d show where I am with a few bits and pieces that I have on the go. Probably too many for me really. I have completed the build of a couple GW Siphons, an outside framed O.11 and inside framed O.62 that I finished most of the building of, over Christmas. 

The O.62:

GWSiphonO62(06)-CompletePriortopainting.jpg.c3f6d1a71d5cb5306f8aeb1fec09ec81.jpg

The O.11:

GWSiphonO11(07)-CompletePriortopainting.jpg.44c086bc83db29ae31e34ce177968fbd.jpg

I’m pleased how they’ve gone together.

@macgeordie

Lovely work!

If I may suggest it - I would back the louvres with some black card - they shouldn't be see-through; they were overlapping sloping slats.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2024 at 19:17, Tony Wright said:

*snip*

Of course, kit-building (and, especially, scratch-building) is way, way beyond the majority in this hobby, other than the making of simple plastic or card kits. If this sounds elitist, then I'm afraid (in my experience) it's true. I'd certainly put really good (loco/stock) painting into that category as well - its mysteries are beyond me, for sure; a quality airbrush, lining with a bow-pen and the right temperament, not to mention great ability.

*snip*

Ability is frequently mentioned as a barrier to kit-building.  I suspect temperament is often closer to the truth!

Edited by Chamby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

I take it you kept shtum, Tony?

Chris KT

Good morning Chris,

I think my colleague was more amused, though I agreed with David - I did find the Pacifics on my display interesting.

I think what was very interesting was that I had (and was) working with and for DJ with regard to Modellers' Back Track, but, other than a very brief encounter when I was watching Garsdale Road a few years before, we'd never met; any commissions were by the phone. Since he'd have no previous recollection of having seen me (why should he?), and I didn't have a banner proclaiming who I was, then who was I? I didn't tell him, and he didn't stay long. 

That was probably the last time I saw the great man, though I did attend his funeral 20 years ago; soon after that, I photographed his final masterpiece in O Gauge, Kendal Castle, before it was dismantled and his collection of models sold. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

2 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Ability is frequently mentioned as a barrier to kit-building.  I suspect temperament is closer to the truth!

Good morning Phil,

Other than lacking in ability, I don't think I have the right temperament to be a model painter, other than the most-basic.

I don't think I cope well with jeopardy, which increases with every stage in a painting job. Take this scenario, for instance - the primer goes on fine, as does the main colour. Secondary/tertiary colours go on OK as well (with a bit of masking if necessary), as do any decals, though fiddling with transfer lining can be a pain. Finally, the varnish coat - the final act. It won't dry properly (I've had some which remain 'sticky' months afterwards!), or dries patchy, or shiny when it should be matt or matt when it should be shiny, or 'blooms' and goes 'milky'! Then, it all has to come off!  I definitely don't have the temperament to cope with that; indeed, I no longer varnish locomotives I've painted. Add on to those horrors, the fact that with every successive coat of paint there is the risk of tiny bits/tiny insects/hairs contaminating the surface; as for being a cat's servant.............

I'm frequently told that I must have great patience (a part of temperament?). The opposite is true; I have very little patience, and cannot wait to finish a model so that I can get on with the next one, and the next............ Had I patience, then I doubt my loco-building total would have reached three figures.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know a good source of turned buffer heads 13 inch?

Wsnt to get a few to detail moulded buffer body kits.

MJT out of stock.

Need 8 at moment

56 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Phil,

Other than lacking in ability, I don't think I have the right temperament to be a model painter, other than the most-basic.

I don't think I cope well with jeopardy, which increases with every stage in a painting job. Take this scenario, for instance - the primer goes on fine, as does the main colour. Secondary/tertiary colours go on OK as well (with a bit of masking if necessary), as do any decals, though fiddling with transfer lining can be a pain. Finally, the varnish coat - the final act. It won't dry properly (I've had some which remain 'sticky' months afterwards!), or dries patchy, or shiny when it should be matt or matt when it should be shiny, or 'blooms' and goes 'milky'! Then, it all has to come off!  I definitely don't have the temperament to cope with that; indeed, I no longer varnish locomotives I've painted. Add on to those horrors, the fact that with every successive coat of paint there is the risk of tiny bits/tiny insects/hairs contaminating the surface; as for being a cat's servant.............

I'm frequently told that I must have great patience (a part of temperament?). The opposite is true; I have very little patience, and cannot wait to finish a model so that I can get on with the next one, and the next............ Had I patience, then I doubt my loco-building total would have reached three figures.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

at least you tried. Too many people seem to suffer from Fear of Failure so don't even have a go. Incidentally Ian Rathbones recommend technique for airbrushing Ronseal varnish works very well.

As for patience, isn't that waiting for something to happen, rather than getting on with it? What you appear to suffer from/enjoy is frustration with your own work rate, which in my view is remarkable. If you want to see slow progress, pop round someday.

Jol

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Lovely work!

If I may suggest it - I would back the louvres with some black card - they shouldn't be see-through; they were overlapping sloping slats.

CJI.

Thanks for the compliment, John.

The kit comes with cut to size heavy black paper sections to do just that, so I'll fit those after the varnishing.

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Tony,

at least you tried. Too many people seem to suffer from Fear of Failure so don't even have a go. Incidentally Ian Rathbones recommend technique for airbrushing Ronseal varnish works very well.

As for patience, isn't that waiting for something to happen, rather than getting on with it? What you appear to suffer from/enjoy is frustration with your own work rate, which in my view is remarkable. If you want to see slow progress, pop round someday.

Jol

I am a bit impatient so sometimes neglect some detail, when i should not.

Things like brake locating loops, lifting eyes, those sort of things.

Biggest problem is completing. Things will sit at 90% for years such as glazing.

But i promise to not start 58071 until 41900 is complete,  and Clun Castle to after that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/01/2024 at 11:25, jwealleans said:

Tim, what do you use instead of Tarmac (Humbrol 112) which seems to have disappeared?   Revell 69 was close but I can't get Revell paints locally any more.

Have you tried precision ‘roof dirt’? I find it excellent, either on its own (generally on roofs) or mixed with black and 62/ leather.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Does anyone know a good source of turned buffer heads 13 inch?

Wsnt to get a few to detail moulded buffer body kits.

MJT out of stock.

Need 8 at moment

Give Dart (MJT) a shout - I believe they DO have them but have a manufacturing issue where the shoulder should be 90 degrees but have been made with a slight taper.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Give Dart (MJT) a shout - I believe they DO have them but have a manufacturing issue where the shoulder should be 90 degrees but have been made with a slight taper.

Thanks, will email when pc back on

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been tidying, found a few models I did not realise I had.

Found

3 Lima 2B TSOs

1 Lima 2B FK

1 Lima 2B BFK

3 Hornby 2 TSOs

And now have full list of Airfix stuff, seems I had at least 30 of them, but lost 2 to conversions, and I thought I had more

Done and WIP

2C BSO x 1

2D TSO x 6

2D TSOT x 1

2D FK x 1

2D BFK x 2

2E TSO x 5

2E FO x 1

2F TSO x 1

2F FO x 2

Not yet detailed

TSO x 3

FO x 2

BSO x 3

Spares

brakes x 2

UF x 1 (another was stripped for resin mould usage)

Now I thought I had 2 or 3 more TSOs as the 3 in a box should be for rake 4, also another FO, so will need to have another dig around.

But looking at this

14 TSOs -> DEF TSOs

8 BSOs -> 2C BSO, 2E TSO, 2F TSO, 2D BFK

8 FOs -> D FK, D BFK, 2 FO, F FO

It is surprising what you collect over the years as I started when first released. Also found a Kirk Maunsell I had forgpotten about.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mark

Please be careful.

My name is Clive and I am a locoholic. I have developed a secondary addiction, well it is not my fault they are called MULTIPLE UNITS.

a006.jpg.ca71f1232488838dabd0df02016cd86d.jpg

Two 4 car BRCW units.

a012.jpg.5fb5f88e39402863a9bfe22375f95e99.jpg

Arriving at Sheffield Exchange

a015.jpg.2be0fd6ff90a3d630580a44341a761e9.jpg

A shot from Enterprise Road bridge

a016.jpg.d598e6a4a11259908f3d789cbef008cb.jpg

I could run a full 10 car train (4+4+2 car) but the platforms are not long enough. 

I have used the Hornby 110 for several BRCW conversions , 2 car, 3 car and 4 car. A Gloucester 2 car 100, a Derby 2 car 108, a Derby 2 car long underframe 114, a Derby 107 and both of the Derby Lightweight single cars have been made form the humble 110. I keep thinking about a doing a Press Steel Park Royal 103, I have a 110 that has not as yet been attacked. 

I have had a good look at the Heljan 104, Ben was kind enough to take it out the cabinet for me to inspect, it looks the dog's whatsits. Will I buy one? Not too sure yet.

On the four car DMU front I have done a Met Cam from Lima units, a Derby 108 from Bachmann coaches, a Derby 115 and a Derby 127.

Hi Clive

Thanks for the warning! Great modelling there.

DMUs I either have or require

4-car original Derby Lightweight

101  - 2, 3 & 4 car sets

4-car 104

105  - 2 and 3 car sets

108 - 2 and 3 car sets

124 - without the buffet car, so a 5 car set. (although I will build the buffet with the rest of the set anyway - because I can! 😁

Cheers

Mark

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2