RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As I've said before (this topic seems to come round about once a year), I enjoy making things but, as for all of us, time is limited - so if something is available ready to use at a sensible price, I'll buy it and "bank" the time saved to make something that isn't.

I should expand this by saying that I have, on occasions, bought items second-hand and ready to use that have been made by somebody else (not counting items that others have kindly built for me as part of the horse-trading beloved by Tony).

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As I've said before (this topic seems to come round about once a year), I enjoy making things but, as for all of us, time is limited - so if something is available ready to use at a sensible price, I'll buy it and "bank" the time saved to make something that isn't.

You're not paying attention - it's much more frequent than once a year!🙂

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

You're not paying attention - it's much more frequent than once a year!🙂

Brian

I was trying to be polite! Obviously not one of my strong suits...

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Yes but once you've made the master and the silicon moulds... 

Regards Lez.  

I don't think you'd make viable mould from the non-metallic element silicon. Apart from an e, there's a world of difference between the element, and one of its potentially very suitable, flexible, silicone polymers.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Yes but once you've made the master and the silicon moulds it's just a case of building a wax tree and a casting mould, burning out the wax and pouring the melt. Then you remove the casting mould with acid. You can do a couple of hundred at a time even more. Jewellers do it all the time, the hard bit is making the master.

The majority of commercial jewellery and much dental casting is now done using printed waxes, though I know of one company that uses aluminium moulds for high-end engineering work. The main problem with lost wax casting is that the post-processing is more labour-intensive than masak die casting. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2024 at 17:39, Compound2632 said:

Now, I'm no engine-builder - wagons are my comfort zone. As a teenager, I started plastic kit building with no instruction or advice and gradually learned by trial and error. But the key thing was, there were Ratio wagon kits on the shelves in my local model shop. If I hadn't seen them there, I would have been unaware of the existence of such things.

I can relate to this, aged 38 now. I was very lucky to grow up with a few decent model shops local to me in South London, only Janes Trains exists now but did stock 2nd hand plastic wagon kits as well as occasionally metal locomotive kits.

BEC models used to stock all sorts from Ratio to Dapol for plastic wagon kits (as well as the Dapol locomotive kits) and as a 8 year old, learnt at my own accord to build them, plastic wagon kits are certainly cheaper purchase cost than rtr now. But I do wish I knew what BSL coach kits was back then and bought them!

I think the emphasis to begineers of any age, is to give a try and learn from your mistakes when they are made (I melted part of a ratio gounded coach roof and kept adding glue to it to try to build it it, not realising at the time the glue works by melting the plastic! Oh and about model filler which only came into use quite some years after)

If it goes wrong, yes it may be something like £10 potentially gone but in the grand scheme of things, is not the end of the world and try again, and save those wheels and bearings for use later on for something else.

When I go to various areas for work, I do take some plastic wagon kits to build to keep me occupied either when sat on the bus on stanby or in the hotel if working away for a period.

I do try to find and visit various model shops where ever I go now, however it is very surprising that very few stock any 4mm scale let alone any other scale plastic wagon kits, plenty of building and accessory kits though. 

I have learnt to ask as sometimes they can be hidden as I've found out in a few shops and a consequence got a fair bit of trade from me for those kits just sitting about!

But overall, model shops are more likely to gain custom from me with kits than rtr, both for my Satisfaction but also partially a cost factor also.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

I don't think you'd make viable mould from the non-metallic element silicon. Apart from an e, there's a world of difference between the element, and one of its potentially very suitable, flexible, silicone polymers.

Whilst it's very kind of you to correct my errors in English I would just like to point out that I'm dyslexic and find such correction offensive. 

Regards Lez.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

44 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Whilst it's very kind of you to correct my errors in English I would just like to point out that I'm dyslexic and find such correction offensive. 

Regards Lez.

Point taken, and in that case, apology offered. The trouble of course is that the omission of an e is more than a simple spelling error if it turns the meaning of the word into something that is quite different, and some people quite clearly don't know that silicon and silicone are vastly different substances, confusing mis-pronunciation of those two words also being common. Either the mis-spelling or the  pronunciation can sometimes leave one wondering what on earth the intended meaning was. A totally different name for the polymers formed by silicon would have been more sensible, but we're stuck with the existing one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

https://fb.watch/pSCyct533C/?

Granted this isn’t exactly finescale modelling, but it makes a counter-point about the haulage power of some RTR models.  A ringfield motored tender drive Flying Scotsman from the 1980’s, unmodified, happily hauling 51 Hornby and Bachmann coaches.  It would have pulled more but the layout wasn’t big enough!   Not forgetting of course that the powered tender was additionally propelling the unpowered loco.  I wonder, would it also haul one of Tony’s heavyweight rakes?

Later in the clip, a Heljan Falcon diesel loco does the same, again straight out of the box.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Granted this isn’t exactly finescale modelling, but it makes a counter-point about the haulage power of some RTR models.  A ringfield motored tender drive Flying Scotsman from the 1980’s, unmodified, happily hauling 51 Hornby and Bachmann coaches.  It would have pulled more but the layout wasn’t big enough!   Not forgetting of course that the powered tender was additionally propelling the unpowered loco.  I wonder, would it also haul one of Tony’s heavyweight rakes?

Later in the clip, a Heljan Falcon diesel loco does the same, again straight out of the box.

Good point Phil. On my layout, passenger trains are limited by space considerations to 9 coaches and goods trains to about 20 wagons. My RTR locos (some of which have had weight added and one tender-drive Airfix Castle remains in use) have no trouble with any of these. Most of the layout is level but there is a stretch of 1 in 100, some of which is on a 2'6" radius curve. The long passenger trains there are double-headed, imitating prototype practice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chamby said:

That's quite amazing Phil,

I assume the tender-drive 'Scotsman' has traction tyres? 

It's interesting that the loco is both pulling and pushing the train. The reason I mention this is because, were the loco just pulling that weight then the front of the train would probably collapse inwards on the curves. That's my experience, even on 3' radius curves.

When I tested Accurascale's Deltic on Little Bytham, the maximum number of carriages I could put behind it was near-40 (these were mainly metal ones). Despite the cars having pin-point bearings in their bogies (and, thus, very free-running), by the time 38 carriages had been hooked up, the leading cars just fell inwards on the 180 degree end curves (a demonstration of Newtonian physics?). I was, therefore, unable to find the limit of the Deltic's haulage capacity, though, on a further test, Hornby's magnetic couplings parted when 30 cars were behind the Type 5. 

There is no way any of my locos could pull/push 50-odd carriages; not my kit-built ones, anyway. 25 metal ones seem to be possible with Bytham's RA9s, which is more than enough.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Apology accepted.

I went through secondary education being told I was stupid and wouldn't amount to anything! However I've qualified and worked as a toolmaker, served my country in the army where I produced fire control data for tactical nuclear missiles, and yes often on the back of a cigarette packet just because we could and it was fun to race against, and beat, the computer.

I've also gained a 2:1 in biochemistry and worked for 25 years as a pharmacy technician. Seems my teachers, who told me I was stupid didn't know the difference between stupidity and dyslexia.

Yes I still need a spell checker to spell dyslexic but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I'm what is termed as an unconscious compensator which can be a pain in the ass but I can do calculus and 6 gun fire missions in my head!

It also makes me unstable, hence the fact I'm registered disabled and I don't always play nice with other children but I always try to do my best.

So you'll have to forgive me if I come across as a bit highly strung and a little touchy, that'll be the personality disorders you understand. If it wasn't for my lovely, extremely patient wife I would have put myself out of my, and everyone else's, misery a long time ago.

The truth is I don't get on with people so I don't get out much. Although through even the worst of it I've managed to keep my very part time gig in the local pharmacy but they keep me well away from the punters you understand as dead customers can be a bit heavy on the paperwork and doesn't make for good reviews on line but I'm an absolute whiz at the paperwork so they keep me in a box out the back. 

I can just about manage 1 exhibition a year and although I say I'm building an exhibition layout to be honest I'm kidding myself that I'll ever have the confidence to actually exhibit it and although I'd love to be in a club again I don't think it's really going to happen either.

Regards Lez.

Good morning Lez,

Some of the most intelligent people have dyslexia, though it's only in more-recent times (with regard to education) that it's been recognised. 

Certainly, when I started teacher training getting on for 60 years ago now, I don't think the condition was recognised at all (hence your teachers thinking your being 'dim', which clearly you're not). Indeed, as part of my first year teaching practice, I spent a fortnight in an ESN class; the acronym for Educationally Sub-Normal! Can one imagine that today? Who knows, there might have been some quite bright kids, their condition unrecognised and there potential undiscovered and wasted? That said, and in defence of teachers at the time, there were some who were definitely ESN. 

I think you're very 'brave' in describing yourself, though I don't think you're kidding yourself with regard to your exhibition layout. Go ahead, build it and exhibit it. You never know, you might have lots of fun. 

Anyone who can do calculus has my greatest respect. Yes, I don't need a spell-checker to write it, but that's about all. 'Hard sums' and I parted company many years ago, which is why I taught art!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

That's quite amazing Phil,

I assume the tender-drive 'Scotsman' has traction tyres? 

It's interesting that the loco is both pulling and pushing the train. The reason I mention this is because, were the loco just pulling that weight then the front of the train would probably collapse inwards on the curves. That's my experience, even on 3' radius curves.

When I tested Accurascale's Deltic on Little Bytham, the maximum number of carriages I could put behind it was near-40 (these were mainly metal ones). Despite the cars having pin-point bearings in their bogies (and, thus, very free-running), by the time 38 carriages had been hooked up, the leading cars just fell inwards on the 180 degree end curves (a demonstration of Newtonian physics?). I was, therefore, unable to find the limit of the Deltic's haulage capacity, though, on a further test, Hornby's magnetic couplings parted when 30 cars were behind the Type 5. 

There is no way any of my locos could pull/push 50-odd carriages; not my kit-built ones, anyway. 25 metal ones seem to be possible with Bytham's RA9s, which is more than enough.

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, it has a rubber traction tyre fitted, which undoubtedly makes a big difference.  Also all of the coaches were relatively light RTR plastic ones, which must have a bearing on the lateral forces in play on the curves.  The layouts minimum radius is about 3 feet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Going back many years a similar attempt with a Hornby 2-10-0 on the WMRA’s then club layout (Evercreech Junction) failed when the coupling either broke or was pulled off on the lead coach. After this many years I can’t recall how many it was loaded with but it was a lot.

Sadly many of the other members present on the day have passed.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few years ago, we ran a train of 135 wagons around Tickhill & Wadworth, which had 3ft radius curves (EM Gauge). The train went right around the layout and the brake van was a few inches in front of the loco. It would run at various speeds with pulling over into the centre and we didn't get any derailments.

I expected it to come off but it didn't.

Somebody cleverer than me can explain why some heavy trains pull off the track inwards on a curve and some don't!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Somebody cleverer than me can explain why some heavy trains pull off the track inwards on a curve and some don't!  

You've made it difficult to reply! I make no claims but I'll pop my little clever cloggs on and say it has to do with the ratio between wagon weight and rolling resistance. If everything runs freely, there's likely to be no problem even if the wagons are whitemetal. I think (but this is gut feeling) that it helps to have every wagon about the same weight. But it just needs one bad egg near the rear of the train to pull the whole lot over. 

Based not only on theory but on running my 00 wagons round my table-top test-track, which goes down to the infamous second radius.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I wish Pressfix transfers for things like 'Restaurant Car' or 'British Railways' wouldn't float all over the place when the backing paper is wetted off. 

This.   Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2