Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

As far as lamps are concerned I think - as so often - there is  much to be learned from looking at photos of the real thing (if you don't happen to have the memory bank, or need to refresh it).

'Seagull' (below at York in 1959) has fairly clean lamps although still some way from pristine but sometimes lamps were so mucky as to be near invisible hwoever that on 61039 isn't too bad either.

post-6859-0-57687200-1417883361_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-01768600-1417883429_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 15

As far as lamps are concerned I think - as so often - there is  much to be learned from looking at photos of the real thing (if you don't happen to have the memory bank, or need to refresh it).

'Seagull' (below at York in 1959) has fairly clean lamps although still some way from pristine but sometimes lamps were so mucky as to be near invisible hwoever that on 61039 isn't too bad either.

attachicon.gifSeagull at York 1959 m.jpg

attachicon.gif61039 1959 m1.jpg

Very true Mike.

What's more interesting than any lamps (to me, anyway) is Steinbok's tender. This is one of the tenders previously fitted to booster-fitted Atlantics, and was different from the normal B1-type GS tenders in having no support for the soleplate in the middle of the tanks and a large cut-out at the front. In January 1964 this tender went to 61013. 

I saw 61039 at Chester, when she appeared off the Manchester road with a ramblers' special for Malpas. I can't recall the date, but the line between Tattenhall Junction and Whitchurch was still open, so late-'50s?

Lamps - I agree Tony: many lamps do look oversize.  The Springside ones always look the best out of the readily available lamps.  Your weathering helps provide some definition of the moulded shape and, perhaps, slims them down a little too.  I have not seen any pictures of 3mm LNER lamps.  It would certainly be interesting to see what they look like on a 4mm loco.  I always feel that it is the over thick handles that let lamps down.  Though the idea of removing them, drilling out and replacing with fine wire seems over the top.  I have seen some from RT Models that look quite effective once fettled.  They don't come with handles at all.

Mannings Lane bridge - Is that the one over the now disused line which has been turned into part of the national cycle routes?  Only a few weeks ago, I walked over the next bridge along in the Chester direction (Fairfield Road).  At least the line is still finding some use.

Manning's Lane runs off the top end of Hoole Road, leaving Chester, and its bridge crosses the now-lifted CLC line to Manchester Central. Fairfield Road might well be the bridge between it and Newton Lane, but the urchin denizens of that part of the world always called it Newton Hollows bridge. You're right that the trackbed now forms part of a cycle route between Mickle Trafford and Dee Marsh, crossing the top end of the old Northgate triangle and heading out on previous GC metals towards Blacon, Saughall and beyond.

A fascinating line, taking the ex-LNER into N.Wales. When I first started 'spotting, it was D11s to Manchester and C13s and N5s to Wrexham and the Wirral. I watched them from my bedroom window. But, it was all a very long time ago. 

I must agree on the Bachmann D11/2 being a wonderful locomotive both in looks and running. I too have had to run one and considering I model Southern Electric, the reason for is that much harder but here is 62691 "Laird of Balmawhapple" on an enthusiasts special to Margate. Why this particular loco, well I saw the actual loco in a timber yard near Bo'ness waiting to go for scrap in 1962.

post-276-0-76700700-1417894910.jpg

Also may I add a photo of 60084 "Trigo" being "pulled up" at Doncaster in about the same year to show the lamps it was carrying for the parcels train it was pulling.

post-276-0-52197100-1417894935.jpg

• Like 8

Regarding a Director at Little Bytham, it may have been possible.  The local services from Lincoln used class B17 D11 and D16.  Grantham local services used class B12 and L1.  Both classes were seen at Lincoln on the local service, and Grantham B12s were definately used on the Grantham-Peterborough service.  I assume the Lincoln locos would be used on the locals to Grantham, and possibly used from there.  D11s from Immingham could reach Peterborough on the East Lincolnshire line, and then be worked back via Grantham.  The last Ivatt Atlantic, 62822 worked local services from Grantham, and would look right at home on LB.  You could even use the unfortunate B3/3 rebuild, shedded at Immingham, and used on local services, even if it was a stretch, and if you wanted to include locomotives seen in Lincolnshire after nationalisation, there are the K5, C4, and D3. for some variety.  Excellent photographs, by the way. 

I saw 61013 "Topi" running light through Chester General probably in the autumn of 1963. She was heading west, probably to turn on the triangle at the west end of the station. I even took a photograph but the quality is so bad I can not post on the site. A week later I saw 61022 "Sassaby" on Chester shed. These locomotives had probably arrived at Chester on the line from Warrington and Manchester. However members of the B1 class were very rare on the CLC at Chester, I only saw one once near Hartford and Greenbank running light engine westward. I have never heard of one working into Wales on the Wrexham, Mold and Connahs Quay. They did regularly work along the North Wales coast on excursions during the summer, particularly on summer Saturday's.

Some modellers would feel awkward about running models that are out of period or are plain unlikely to have run on the stretch of line they have modelled. I know I would, so that is where 'reasonable justification' enters the arena. It doesn't necessarily bar me from buying a UP 'Big Boy', but I sure wouldn't post pictures of it entering Delph!  :biggrin_mini2:

Nooooooooooo!

I have never heard of one working into Wales on the Wrexham, Mold and Connahs Quay. They did regularly work along the North Wales coast on excursions during the summer, particularly on summer Saturday's.

A named B1 appears in a railway video at Penyffordd on a freight. It had been shunting back onto the link line with the LNW Denbigh-Chester line and was referred to in the commentary as unusual. It was facing Wrexham. It is a video narrated by the amusingly dour Mr.White.

I am another who would espouse 'no handle' on loco lamps in 4mm; because made to scale they are practically invisible and very fragile, modelled for robustness on a working layout they significantly enlarge the top half of the lamp. Since the lamp typically ends up looking overscale once painted white, this is bad news.

Wish you guys would stop with the GC 4-4-0, that's a very off-beat temptation for someone in the first 20 miles out of KX.

• Like 1

I can't imagine a D11 ever getting further south than Grantham (from Lincoln, on the now-closed line?) and certainly not running through Little Bytham. 

Tony - you used those fateful words 'ever' and 'certainly not'. You need to add the clarification 'post-war'; D11's were used on the Pullman services in the early LNER period. There's a lovely picture in the Maurice Earley book 'The LNER scene' of No. 5510 'Princess Mary' on the up 'Queen of Scots' just south of Grantham. Would have passed through LB some 15 mins or so after that photo was taken. Not terribly useful for your era granted but there we go.

Another vote here for removing overscale handles off 4mm lamps.

Must be away - I have some handrails to fit to a signal...

• Like 2

I saw 61013 "Topi" running light through Chester General probably in the autumn of 1963. She was heading west, probably to turn on the triangle at the west end of the station. I even took a photograph but the quality is so bad I can not post on the site. A week later I saw 61022 "Sassaby" on Chester shed. These locomotives had probably arrived at Chester on the line from Warrington and Manchester. However members of the B1 class were very rare on the CLC at Chester, I only saw one once near Hartford and Greenbank running light engine westward. I have never heard of one working into Wales on the Wrexham, Mold and Connahs Quay. They did regularly work along the North Wales coast on excursions during the summer, particularly on summer Saturday's.

Thanks Sandra,

We must have been on 6A at the same time to see SASSABY. She was on the road nearest the line to Crewe, facing west, and I took a picture which appeared in my book, A Lifetime With Locomotives and Layouts, to go with the model I built of her. 

Though it's true B1s were (relatively) rare on the CLC/GC, on several occasions I saw them. Once, whilst waiting at Sealand Station for a train back Chester Northgate (my Dad had just sold his car to a bloke in Queensferry), a named B1 (can't remember which one) rolled through on a freight from Dee Marsh. 

A favourite evening place for spotting in Chester was Brook Lane Bridge, which crossed the line to Birkenhead and was adjacent to the CLC bridge which crossed the same. With binoculars, anything to/from the N. Wales coast could be noted, and anything off the Western turned on the triangle and went beneath us. The vantage point also saw traffic going from the Western to the Wirral, often GWR 2-8-0s and the big tanks. It also gave us a same-height view of the CLC freights. Usually, these were hauled by the classic GC 2-8-0s (of all varieties), but a B1 was not unknown. An evening passenger train between Manchester Central and Chester Northgate was still steam-hauled in the early-'60s (the only one), consisting of six ex-LMS carriages. This was hauled by either Stanier/Fowler 2-6-4Ts, Ivatt 'Flying Pigs', K3s, or, on the odd occasion, a B1. The train would go into Northgate terminus, any passengers get off, then the loco would propel the rake in reverse out towards Liverpool Road, then run forwards across the Brook Lane end of the Northgate triangle, once more to propel the rake back into the station - then it went back home, facing the right way. By the way, was there any other location which had two triangles, one just about on top of the other? I wrote about much of this in BRILL a year ago.  

• Like 4

Yesterday, another most enjoyable day spent in the company of splendid friends, old and new. 

post-18225-0-37976300-1418071036_thumb.jpg

The afternoon was spent in over two hours' running, the only 'brown' marks being my dodgy operation. There was also much discussion regarding accurate ER train formations.

post-18225-0-10489200-1418071050_thumb.jpg

Beforehand, I'd spent the early morning putting the scenic stuff on the farm track across Marsh Bridge, at the south end. Richard Wilson did the immediate foreground and the little field, and I did the track surface. Tom Couling kindly built the dilapidated barn for me some time ago. There's still a bit of finishing off to do, but this simple scene was (I think) so typical of railways in rural locations in the past. I hope it's being captured.

post-18225-0-58373800-1418071023_thumb.jpg

The beautiful GNR three-arch bridge which carried the track went with electrification, but its concrete replacement still gives a reasonable view of the railway, Good enough to capture BITTERN last Thursday.

post-18225-0-56211200-1418071064_thumb.jpg

Tom Foster brought along this exquisite 'Hunt' he's just had commissioned from Paul Hill of PDK, built from one of Paul's own kits. Just peeping into view is another of Ian Wilson's quartet of lineside huts (horse-traded with the L1's and an Austerity's weathering), yet to be bedded-in.

post-18225-0-39544300-1418071072_thumb.jpg

It really is a lovely model, but just displayed a slight 'growling' in reverse. It doesn't now. 

• Like 19

Yesterday, another most enjoyable day spent in the company of splendid friends, old and new. 

attachicon.gifDsc_1592.jpg

The afternoon was spent in over two hours' running, the only 'brown' marks being my dodgy operation. There was also much discussion regarding accurate ER train formations.

A splendid day indeed.

The train formations all looked good to me and very much in character with the period.

This image in my collection came with 'Little Bytham' as the location:

8056414782_82ee5f812b.jpg60065_LittleBytham_14-5-60 by robertcwp, on Flickr

• Like 7

Sight of "The Bedale" reminds me that I have work to do on my own D49. Yet another loco in the queue! I've never paid attention when looking at the real Hunts (tho' I will do now) so I'm curious to know whether, as per the model) their crossheads included a redundant drop link suited to Walschaerts valve gear.

Word has it that on Wednesday, expected engineering work just North of High Dyke may force ironstone trains to work South through Little Bytham to reverse at Peterborough and reach Scunthorpe via one of the mid-Lincs lines. The furnaces are always hungry.

attachicon.gifPDK D49 02.jpg

It really is a lovely model, but just displayed a slight 'growling' in reverse. It doesn't now. 

Hi Tony,

Good to see more folk enjoying Little Bytham, it just goes to show what a sociable hobby we all share.

The above loco is a delightful looking machine, may I ask how (I presume) you cured the slight growling, please?

I'm imagining either a good lot of running in, some heavier grease or oil on the gears or simply an adjustment thereof.

I ask as one of my brass locos has a similar problem.

Best regards,

John E.

Edited by Allegheny1600

Hi Tony,

Good to see more folk enjoying Little Bytham, it just goes to show what a sociable hobby we all share.

The above loco is a delightful looking machine, may I ask how (I presume) you cured the slight growling, please?

I'm imagining either a good lot of running in, some heavier grease or oil on the gears or simply an adjustment thereof.

I ask as one of my brass locos has a similar problem.

Best regards,

John E.

Thanks John,

It is a delight to welcome friends to see and operate the layout, all the more so when (apart from my continuing dimwit inability to remember to set a road properly or flick an appropriate switch) the layout runs so well, with no frustrating derailments, stuttering or loco/stock failures. Trains run at speed, or move at walking pace during shunting operations. 

As for curing growling; I have no secret fixes. Occasionally, it's the body of a loco which acts as a sound-box, amplifying any mechanical noise. If the body touches any part of the motor, then that is anathema to silent running, even though it might not cause a short. 

At the moment I'm looking at some of the late Geoff Brewin's locos, brought down yesterday to me by Mr. Duck himself. This entails examining them and checking to see that they work properly, with the view that they'll be eventually sold on to good new homes. I did this with Dave Shakespeare's locos. It's something I'd do for the family of any late friend. Obviously, I do not charge for what I do.

post-18225-0-09418900-1418143454_thumb.jpg

Serendipitously with your question, I've just got the chassis of this King working properly. It ran a bit, then stuttered, then ran a bit more, made some funny noises, then shorted out. It also growled a bit. On investigation, there were several problems. Though the chassis was electrically dead, the motor/gearbox was unsecured, allowing it to clatter up and down inside the body under load. The first gear beneath the motor's worm was also able to move from side to side, causing growling and, eventually, locking-up. The cure for the first problem was to solder a brass stay between the gearbox frame and the chassis, as is visible here. The second problem was cured by slitting small washers and forcing them with tweezers over the lay-shaft, between the gear wheel and the gearbox frame. Without dismantling the chassis, this was the easiest cure. Despite the chassis being none-live, there was some interference/shorting between the drivers' flanges and the inside of the splashers, cured by a few whirrings with the dental burr. 

post-18225-0-33006000-1418143404_thumb.jpg

A better solution to a first gear waddling from side to side is to totally restrict any sideways movement of the lay-shaft by soldering on scrap brass 'cheeks' over the shaft's ends. These can be 'infinitely' adjusted to get the sweetest spot. Obviously, it's best to do this at the gearbox assembly stage. You'll note here that I'm also running-in this EM 0-8-4T chassis on a rolling road. At least an hour each way is what I recommend. 

post-18225-0-04203400-1418143435_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-04203400-1418143435_thumb.jpg

If the chassis is electrically live, the motor/gearbox can be stayed by using a piece of .45mm brass wire to act as that stay and also to return the current. 

post-18225-0-23600100-1418143426_thumb.jpg

Very often a motor/gearbox combination in a tender loco will run quieter in reverse. The trick, then, is to turn it round - but don't tell the chassis you're doing this!

As for curing the growling D49. The motor did not need staying and there was no excessive side-play in the gear chain. But, the motor was at a slight angle to the frames. This can be a frequent occurrence. The cure? Just a tweak 'twixt finger and thumb on the motor to pull it parallel to the frames. As an 'engineering' solution, it's horrid. But it works. It's now sweet.

Other 'cures' for noisy mechs' are bits of sponge beneath the motor, a silicone sealer motor-mount or filling the available space inside the body with sponge; also, of course, adequate lubrication with oil or grease. All those, or run your locos only at exhibitions. Aren't they quiet then?

Finally, to return to Geoff Brewin's locos, here's an A4 of his, built from a SE Finecast kit. 

post-18225-0-91021500-1418143411_thumb.jpg

Phil Ramsay and I ran it yesterday on Little Bytham and initially it fairly romped round on 12 bogies. But, after he'd gone, there was the odd stutter. On taking the body off, part of the motion came away. I soldered this back together, then there was a short. It turned out the rear insulated driver's rim was catching on the screw head securing the turned rear spacer. The cure? Once more, split fibre washers forced over the axle to restrict movement. The front insulated driver occasionally just touched the motion support bracket. The cure was quickly in with the iron and just lift it a twitch. 

It looks a bit 'Toy Town' in this shot, what with those stumpy buffers, tiny cab numerals, no front coupling and incorrect BR device on the tender.Today's work now sees it with proper buffers, a scale front shackle, vacuum pipe, right-sized cab numerals, worksplates, the flange taken off the base of the tender and the earlier BR 'cycling lion' put in place. The cab is also glazed, and any chipped paintwork has been attended to. It's yet to be coaled.

It really does go like stink now - fast, quiet and super-smooth; just as an A4 should be. When I've finished it, I'll post a picture and invite PMs from those who might be interested in buying it. Yes, it's not as visually 'right' as a Hornby A4, but it'll pull one of those along, and its train with ease! Back of fag-packet calculations come out with at least £150.00+ worth of parts. I'm prepared to guarantee it with regard to running, so we'll wait and see once I've finished it.

The two Phils deserve the greatest credit for their dual-assisting of the bereaved family at this difficult time.  

Edited because, yet again, the computer has decided where it wants to put images. Not me!

post-18225-0-90594200-1418143443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 14

Hi Tony, its nice to see you still have good company and are really enjoying your running with Friends old and new.

I was also interested in you info on sorting out the motors, some very useful stuff there for everyone.

As for the Lamps, its again been an interesting conversation as usual, I will be Lamp Fitting for the Bitton roster once I have sorted out which loco for which rake.

All the best.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John,

It is a delight to welcome friends to see and operate the layout, all the more so when (apart from my continuing dimwit inability to remember to set a road properly or flick an appropriate switch) the layout runs so well, with no frustrating derailments, stuttering or loco/stock failures. Trains run at speed, or move at walking pace during shunting operations. 

As for curing growling; I have no secret fixes. Occasionally, it's the body of a loco which acts as a sound-box, amplifying any mechanical noise. If the body touches any part of the motor, then that is anathema to silent running, even though it might not cause a short. 

At the moment I'm looking at some of the late Geoff Brewin's locos, brought down yesterday to me by Mr. Duck himself. This entails examining them and checking to see that they work properly, with the view that they'll be eventually sold on to good new homes. I did this with Dave Shakespeare's locos. It's something I'd do for the family of any late friend. Obviously, I do not charge for what I do.

attachicon.gifKing chassis.jpg

Serendipitously with your question, I've just got the chassis of this King working properly. It ran a bit, then stuttered, then ran a bit more, made some funny noises, then shorted out. It also growled a bit. On investigation, there were several problems. Though the chassis was electrically dead, the motor/gearbox was unsecured, allowing it to clatter up and down inside the body under load. The first gear beneath the motor's worm was also able to move from side to side, causing growling and, eventually, locking-up. The cure for the first problem was to solder a brass stay between the gearbox frame and the chassis, as is visible here. The second problem was cured by slitting small washers and forcing them with tweezers over the lay-shaft, between the gear wheel and the gearbox frame. Without dismantling the chassis, this was the easiest cure. Despite the chassis being none-live, there was some interference/shorting between the drivers' flanges and the inside of the splashers, cured by a few whirrings with the dental burr. 

attachicon.gif0-8-4T 05.jpg

A better solution to a first gear waddling from side to side is to totally restrict any sideways movement of the lay-shaft by soldering on scrap brass 'cheeks' over the shaft's ends. These can be 'infinitely' adjusted to get the sweetest spot. Obviously, it's best to do this at the gearbox assembly stage. You'll note here that I'm also running-in this EM 0-8-4T chassis on a rolling road. At least an hour each way is what I recommend. 

attachicon.gifJ6 01.jpg

attachicon.gifJ6 01.jpg

If the chassis is electrically live, the motor/gearbox can be stayed by using a piece of .45mm brass wire to act as that stay and also to return the current. 

attachicon.gifB1 02.jpg

Very often a motor/gearbox combination in a tender loco will run quieter in reverse. The trick, then, is to turn it round - but don't tell the chassis you're doing this!

As for curing the growling D49. The motor did not need staying and there was no excessive side-play in the gear chain. But, the motor was at a slight angle to the frames. This can be a frequent occurrence. The cure? Just a tweak 'twixt finger and thumb on the motor to pull it parallel to the frames. As an 'engineering' solution, it's horrid. But it works. It's now sweet.

Other 'cures' for noisy mechs' are bits of sponge beneath the motor, a silicone sealer motor-mount or filling the available space inside the body with sponge; also, of course, adequate lubrication with oil or grease. All those, or run your locos only at exhibitions. Aren't they quiet then?

Finally, to return to Geoff Brewin's locos, here's an A4 of his, built from a SE Finecast kit. 

attachicon.gifA4.jpg

Phil Ramsay and I ran it yesterday on Little Bytham and initially it fairly romped round on 12 bogies. But, after he'd gone, there was the odd stutter. On taking the body off, part of the motion came away. I soldered this back together, then there was a short. It turned out the rear insulated driver's rim was catching on the screw head securing the turned rear spacer. The cure? Once more, split fibre washers forced over the axle to restrict movement. The front insulated driver occasionally just touched the motion support bracket. The cure was quickly in with the iron and just lift it a twitch. 

It looks a bit 'Toy Town' in this shot, what with those stumpy buffers, tiny cab numerals, no front coupling and incorrect BR device on the tender.Today's work now sees it with proper buffers, a scale front shackle, vacuum pipe, right-sized cab numerals, worksplates, the flange taken off the base of the tender and the earlier BR 'cycling lion' put in place. The cab is also glazed, and any chipped paintwork has been attended to. It's yet to be coaled.

It really does go like stink now - fast, quiet and super-smooth; just as an A4 should be. When I've finished it, I'll post a picture and invite PMs from those who might be interested in buying it. Yes, it's not as visually 'right' as a Hornby A4, but it'll pull one of those along, and its train with ease! Back of fag-packet calculations come out with at least £150.00+ worth of parts. I'm prepared to guarantee it with regard to running, so we'll wait and see once I've finished it.

The two Phils deserve the greatest credit for their dual-assisting of the bereaved family at this difficult time.  

Edited because, yet again, the computer has decided where it wants to put images. Not me!

Tony, 

Thanks for sorting those locos out. Knowing Geoff as I did he would not want his locos to not work properly. He did begin to lose his mojo about 8 months or so ago and was much more interested in watching trains go by, so he bought some diesels off the shelf so that he could have reliable running on his layout. He also developed the coreless motor / gearbox assembly for Comet, the final prototype of which ended up in a Comet chassis with a Golden Arrow Duke of Gloucester body on it.

This loco out performs anything I've tried on his layout so far, and by a country mile. The space afforded in the body by such a relatively small motor means that plenty of weight can be added even to resin body.

post-7024-0-10566700-1418170681_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-13964000-1418170705_thumb.jpg

You can see the wires to the tender pick ups in this shot.

post-7024-0-03489000-1418170829_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Tony, 

Thanks for sorting those locos out. Knowing Geoff as I did he would not want his locos to not work properly. He did begin to lose his mojo about 8 months or so ago and was much more interested in watching trains go by, so he bought some diesels off the shelf so that he could have reliable running on his layout. He also developed the coreless motor / gearbox assembly for Comet, the final prototype of which ended up in a Comet chassis with a Golden Arrow Duke of Gloucester body on it.

This loco out performs anything I've tried on his layout so far, and by a country mile. The space afforded in the body by such a relatively small motor means that plenty of weight can be added even to resin body.

attachicon.gifDSCN0575_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP3084_1.jpg

You can see the wires to the tender pick ups in this shot.

attachicon.gif71000_4_1.jpg

Thanks Phil,

I'll be sending you an e-mail soon, but for now a little bit of further information. 

post-18225-0-94718200-1418243717_thumb.jpg

This is the titivated A4, which has already sold. I got a fair price of £150.00, and it doesn't half go, as I hope the two observers today will testify. It fairly flew round on 10 heavy Pullmans - no noise, no stuttering, no stalling, no slipping; just A4 typical performance, and it beats the pants off any RTR A4 in terms of haulage power. It will run at a crawl as well.

post-18225-0-61217600-1418243725_thumb.jpg

The King did just the same, if anything, though I hate to admit it, at a slightly higher top speed than the A4 - nearer 200 perhaps. Again, a terrific runner. Anyone interested in buying it, please PM me. 

post-18225-0-39607800-1418243746_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-54837200-1418243753_thumb.jpg

These are examples of Geoff's carriages, very well-built by Alan Buckenham, one of the original Comet quartet. These have sold as well, so anybody who didn't respond to the relevant thread, and who might have wanted one, has missed out.  

The Pro-Scale A1 seen in yesterday's post needs a bit more doing. It now runs perfectly, but the cab was all askew (not really visible in the overhead view) and the boiler handrails were anything but horizontal. These are being attended to, so I'll keep folk informed.

post-18225-0-19868400-1418243739_thumb.jpg

One of my guests today was the brilliant Mr King; he of resin fame. He brought along these delightful hoppers, made from one of his masters; beautifully-hauled by his scratch-built O4. I asked about the materials he used for the O4, and was astonished when he said the tender body was made of thin cardboard! The C2 is his DJH one, another beautiful runner - hauling an exquisite rake of various teaks of mixed antiquity and origin. 

He brought some other delights along - pictures tomorrow. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 18

As a very welcomed visitor to Little Bytham today I can certainly echo Tony's words about the A4 and King.  As a diehard LNER fan it was a little disconcerting to see a copper chimney 'streaking' away in such fashion, although it was slipstreaming the A4 :declare:

A lot firsts today, first vist to LB, my first ever video taken on my wife's ipad, which I hadn't really a clue how to work and then a first ever upload to YouTube.  Don't know if these videos will work, but here goes.

Excellent Videos Mick, I never thought of getting any Videos when John (Allenghy1600) visited earlier this year.

Really good to see the locos working so well.

• Like 1

Apologies for the delay in adding my own comments after a very pleasant day at Little Bytham. As Mick and Tony have both said, the tweaked A4 and King are now both superb runners. Quiet, smooth off the mark, steady, with plenty of pulling power and undoubtedly "adequate" top speed as Rolls Royce might once have put it.

The scenic improvements on the layout since my last visit really have lifted it to yet another level of excellence and the running qualities are of course still marvellous. Some of my corridor coaching stock got its knickers in a twist a time or two, but that is attributable to the way I have my couplings and paper-bellows corridor connectors set up. On my own layout, with the coaches coupled up a set order and no curves of less than the "magic" 3 foot radius to negotiate, the length of couplings compresses the corridor connectors to the limit at certain points on the track circuit. With the coach sequence disorganised after various recent visits to layouts, and one or two curves on LB rumoured to be a shade under 3 foot radius, the compression of the corridor connectors must have been just too much on the odd occasion, resulting in the stress being relieved by the pair of connectors and thus the coach ends squirming out of line with one another on a curve and refusing to re-align on return to straight track. Fortunately the only other significant glitch involving my stock was the eventual unscrewing of a crankpin on the six-wheel-drive Atlantic after it had run round nicely a few times. Back to the workbench with that one in a day or two! It was great relief at least to find that the tender pick-ups that I fitted to the scratchbuilt O4 last night (card tender top and all) have cured its previous long-standing hit and miss running qualities.

I'm glad to See that Mick has managed to upload his video clips. I'm grateful as usual to Tony for his photographic skills, getting pictures of my stock far exceeding the quality of anything that I can produce. Many thanks also to Mo for providing a most agreeable lunch once again.

Now Mr Wright, about that C2 in the picture - it's a C1. And you have remembered to move those magazines back upstairs rather than leaving them on the end of the sideboard, haven't you, wink wink.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 7