Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

My class 305 EMU's appear to have HD Gresley bogies. And I thought I read somewhere that so did their Quint-Art predecessors. They certainly jog my personal memories. The normal version do look rather more skinny than my childhood recollections.

Andy

(they are 8ft w.b.). The castings might be ABS, I'm not sure.

I don't think they're ABS (Coachmaster). I have an identical pair of bogies that I'm told are by Blacksmith Models.

P

A rare bird here;

This, from the mention of Bourne

post-6861-0-13496700-1431490971.jpg

A Millholme Ivatt 4MT mogul, other than my own, I've never seen one completed before.

What a great pity about the demise of this layout, it shows such great potential.

• Like 6

On seeing the above the frames are deeper no idea how much in 4mm (not a lot) Rivets are the same !!

Mick,

On (rather roughly, I admit) checking against Isinglass and Campling drawings with a 'scale' rule the difference in the frame-depth between the standard and HD Gresley bogie is just over a millimetre, say three and a half inches in scale. 

To my eye, even 76 times smaller, this is noticeable, especially immediately underneath the solebar where there is less of a gap between it and the top of the bogie. I think this is where 'comparative' measurements come in to play, where the differences become more readily apparent. Nobody would notice an extra mil' over the length of a coach or loco, but add/subtract that measurement to the diameter of a smokebox door, position of a chimney, height of a bufferbeam or the depth of a bogie, etc, and it does stand out. Whilst many won't care (or be able to see?), the fact that the likes of MJT supplies both types of bogie means that the different provisions are important. 

Looking back, BSL's Gresley bogies were actually nearer HD in size, as were PC's. In fact, I've used these older bogies under stock which should have them (rather than under the carriages they came with), including catering cars, sleepers, articulated stock and the PV carriages. 

As intimated elsewhere, several BR EMUs used Gresley HD bogies, as did some MK.1 catering cars as substitutes for the poor-riding Mk.1 B.1s. 

Finally, my compliments on the good-looking A2/1. May I, though, make one suggestion, please?. The eight wheeled tender was inherited from the smashed-up A4 and, as such, had the strip for the stainless steel embellishment at the base of the sole plate. Three streamlined non-corridor tenders had this feature - this example and the ones behind 60001 and 60002. Worth putting on? 

Edited because of poor manners on my part.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I certainly recall our meeting at York, and I shall never buy anything again from that extremely rude tool-seller (not Eileen's, I hasten to add). What did he say when I asked for a one-eighth taper reamer? It must be April the first? Perhaps if he reads this, he might like to look at exactly what a one eighth taper reamer looks like.

attachicon.gifDSC_1298.JPG

Here's mime, some 40+ years old and still going strong in its tap-wrench. It's only one eighth at the point of the arrow, but it cuts absolutely dead true up to that measurement and gives a perfect working clearance through top-hat bearings. Straight reamers, though they have a slight taper to begin with, cannot cut (in my experience) quite as accurately by hand. The full taper one does it automatically - thousands of times. 

As a rule of thumb regarding purveyors of things, might I offer this advice? Just because they've never heard of such a tool, don't assume (through puerile sarcasm!) that it doesn't exist but assume that the potential buyer knows what they're asking about.

Hi Tony,

I've just purchased one of these (HSS 1/8" Taper Reamer) from RDG Tools, for just under £9 delivered, which was the cheapest price I could easily find; I've purchased from RDG before (usually at Engineering Exhibitions) and have never had any problems re quality etc.

HTH

polybear

Hi Tony,

I've just purchased one of these (HSS 1/8" Taper Reamer) from RDG Tools, for just under £9 delivered, which was the cheapest price I could easily find; I've purchased from RDG before (usually at Engineering Exhibitions) and have never had any problems re quality etc.

HTH

polybear

Thanks for the information - it would be nice to know your name, by the way. 

At the time at York, I think what struck me most about the tool proprietor's derisory attitude with regard to my enquiry regarding a taper reamer was his (what must have been) opinion that my colleague and I were either of lowly intelligence or just mucking about and wasting his time. As I said, I'll never purchase anything from the firm again and if asked for advice from anyone with regard to tools, will point them in the completely opposite direction!    

Are there any more pictures of Bourne?  The model seems to have captured the uniqueness of the station, which I have always thought was a great subject to model. What a shame it was dismantled. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the information - it would be nice to know your name, by the way.

Hi Tony,

Sorry - it's Brian Tulley. However, I would like to point out that:

(1) It couldn't have been me, cos' I wasn't there....

(2) But if I was there, I know nothing about it.... :)

Kind Regards,

Brian

Edited by polybear

Are there any more pictures of Bourne?  The model seems to have captured the uniqueness of the station, which I have always thought was a great subject to model. What a shame it was dismantled. 

There are, but I'm saving the best for the Bookazine.

Once more, I return to what impressed me the most - John's single-handed approach to making things; a true all-rounder, so much more than I could ever be. 

post-18225-0-38814500-1431536190_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-02529400-1431536201_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-97669000-1431536211_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-49240600-1431536232_thumb.jpg

No 'I can't do this so I'll get someone else to do it for me'. No, complete self-reliance and self-belief. He actually built TWO Millholme 'Flying Pigs'.

Tony Geary built one which was used on Leighford and Charwelton. A 'knife & fork' job I think he described it as. Not good, in other words!

• Like 14

Tony kindly suggested an update on my Urie S15 so here she is after painting and lining, although still with a few jobs to be done:

attachicon.gifurie_2.jpg

I hoped to get away with brush-painting the cylinders using an old tin of Precision dark olive, but as you can see, there's quite a pronounced difference in shade between that hue and the main body colour, which is Railmatch. I'll have to go over them again with the latter shade, before adding the cylinder lining and so on. Other than that, the main colour was from an aerosol, with lining by decal and bow-pen, followed by HMRS pressfix transfers for the numbers and Southern lettering. She'll get a very light misting of weathering.

While I'm here I thought I'd throw the C2X in as well, which I don't think I've shown in this thread before? Tony cast his eye over this DJH model when I brought it along to a Missenden Abbey weekend back in 2006. It was my first kit and ran (and sounded like) a bag of spanners! Tony kindly said the bodywork was sound, and the chassis square, but rightly took my pickup soldering to task! By the end of the weekend Tony had given it a new set of pickups; I later swapped the open-frame motor and single-stage gearbox for a ready-made DJH one which made no end of difference to the running. The last tweak, more recently, was to add tender pickups to obviate an occasional tendency to stall on uneven trackwork.

attachicon.gifC2X.jpg

The C2X is due a strip-down and repaint into pre-nationalisation colours, at which point I'll add some of the boiler details which were missing from the kit. At the time I made it, I found it incredibly hard to track down pictures of C2Xs, let alone pictures of both sides, but I've since found a reasonable selection. The C2X goes together very nicely, by the way, if anyone's tempted - any problems I had in the construction were down to me, not the kit.

Alastair (Barry Ten)

Tremendous stuff Alastair.

Forgive me if I have little or no recollection of our meeting at Missenden. I miss those occasions dreadfully, but none of us knows what life has in store. 

Still, if I can carry on giving the occasional (odd?) piece of advice, then I'm still 'kicking' so to speak. And, more importantly, you're showing your own work. Not the work of others. 

Well done!

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

Mick,

On (rather roughly, I admit) checking against Isinglass and Campling drawings with a 'scale' rule the difference in the frame-depth between the standard and HD Gresley bogie is just over a millimetre, say three and a half inches in scale. 

To my eye, even 76 times smaller, this is noticeable, especially immediately underneath the solebar where there is less of a gap between it and the top of the bogie. I think this is where 'comparative' measurements come in to play, where the differences become more readily apparent. Nobody would notice an extra mil' over the length of a coach or loco, but add/subtract that measurement to the diameter of a smokebox door, position of a chimney, height of a bufferbeam or the depth of a bogie, etc, and it does stand out. Whilst many won't care (or be able to see?), the fact that the likes of MJT supplies both types of bogie means that the different provisions are important. 

Looking back, BSL's Gresley bogies were actually nearer HD in size, as were PC's. In fact, I've used these older bogies under stock which should have them (rather than under the carriages they came with), including catering cars, sleepers, articulated stock and the PV carriages. 

As intimated elsewhere, several BR EMUs used Gresley HD bogies, as did some MK.1 catering cars as substitutes for the poor-riding Mk.1 B.1s. 

Finally, my compliments on the good-looking A2/1. May I, though, make one suggestion, please?. The eight wheeled tender was inherited from the smashed-up A4 and, as such, had the strip for the stainless steel embellishment at the base of the sole plate. Three streamlined non-corridor tenders had this feature - this example and the ones behind 60001 and 60002. Worth putting on? 

Edited because of poor manners on my part.

Tony

Good pointers re the HD Bogie I must confess that I have never noticed the difference in the gap between bogie and body before , no idea where I got the idea re extra rivets on the HD version. I will have to get some for the D&S  LNER Dyno Cars x 2 in the pending tray !!.

Re the A2/1 sadly she has returned to her owner . So too late to do anything about the strip , I have added the strip on my Coronation A4's so it is a easy job just use microstrip, shame I missed it on this one!.

Maybe a daft question but what is a bookazine ? 

cheers

Tony

Good pointers re the HD Bogie I must confess that I have never noticed the difference in the gap between bogie and body before , no idea where I got the idea re extra rivets on the HD version. I will have to get some for the D&S  LNER Dyno Cars x 2 in the pending tray !!.

Re the A2/1 sadly she has returned to her owner . So too late to do anything about the strip , I have added the strip on my Coronation A4's so it is a easy job just use microstrip, shame I missed it on this one!.

Maybe a daft question but what is a bookazine ? 

cheers

Not a daft question at all Mick.........

In fact, to be honest, I dislike the description but it's a combination of a book and a magazine. In this case, it'll be some 130 odd pages in soft-back form where I'll describe the building of a prototype-based layout, using Little Bytham as a framework. This will involve research, interpretation of drawings/photographs, adapting a scale plan to produce a trackplan, right through to the construction of everything, thence on to interpreting a real timetable and producing an operating sequence.

It won't be an outright step-by-step work, though much of Little Bytham's construction will feature. That said, how to build a model building from scale plans is applicable to any structure, trackwork is trackwork and the making of a signal, say, is applicable to all model railways. Basic scenery techniques are also applicable. Many other prototype-based layouts will feature as well. 

What will be stressed throughout is the 'teamwork' approach. I know this won't necessarily apply to the lone modeller, though I hope he/she might learn from what's presented, but what will be evident is how the completion of a 'largish' project in a reasonable timescale requires the combination of several modellers' skills and time. In this, I hope, it'll be inspirational, but also aspirational in as much as this is not a case of pushing a whole load of dosh at professional model-makers and saying 'make it for me, please'. Of course, there are cost imperatives; however, as I hope I've described within these pages already, it's been mainly achieved (or will be) by a bunch of like-minded mates who've all pooled resources and worked together. As an example, Richard Wilson took away this evening a whole load of kits/bits/materials to make the stationmaster's vegetable garden/allotment/pig sty/chicken run, etc. In return, I finished off his scratch-built Ivatt 2-6-0 already seen on this thread. 

I'll keep you posted as to progress. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

Not a daft question at all Mick.........

In fact, to be honest, I dislike the description but it's a combination of a book and a magazine. In this case, it'll be some 130 odd pages in soft-back form where I'll describe the building of a prototype-based layout, using Little Bytham as a framework. This will involve research, interpretation of drawings/photographs, adapting a scale plan to produce a trackplan, right through to the construction of everything, thence on to interpreting a real timetable and producing an operating sequence.

It won't be an outright step-by-step work, though much of Little Bytham's construction will feature. That said, how to build a model building from scale plans is applicable to any structure, trackwork is trackwork and the making of a signal, say, is applicable to all model railways. Basic scenery techniques are also applicable. Many other prototype-based layouts will feature as well. 

What will be stressed throughout is the 'teamwork' approach. I know this won't necessarily apply to the loan modeller, though I hope he/she might learn from what's presented, but what will be evident is how the completion of a 'largish' project in a reasonable timescale requires the combination of several modellers' skills and time. In this, I hope, it'll be inspirational, but also aspirational in as much as this is not a case of pushing a whole load of dosh at professional model-makers and saying 'make it for me, please'. Of course, there are cost imperatives; however, as I hope I've described within these pages already, it's been mainly achieved (or will be) by a bunch of like-minded mates who've all pooled resources and worked together. As an example, Richard Wilson took away this evening a whole load of kits/bits/materials to make the stationmaster's vegetable garden/allotment/pig sty/chicken run, etc. In return, I finished off his scratch-built Ivatt 2-6-0 already seen on this thread. 

I'll keep you posted as to progress. 

Good Morning Tony

Cant wait to see your Bookazine, any idea when it will be out on sale.

From your description above to Mick on it's content I am sure it will be of great help to me pushing Haymarket 64B forward onto the base board stage which will be a nice change from scratch building the shed buildings and structures which I have been doing for the past few years.

Best Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

I know this won't necessarily apply to the loan modeller,

Tony,

What is a loan modeller? One who goes heavily into debt to finance his/her layout?  :)

Oops - you got me! 

Altered to retain any slight credibility I might still have!

Good Morning Tony

Cant wait to see your Bookazine, any idea when it will be out on sale.

From your description above to Mick on it's content I am sure it will be of great help to me pushing Haymarket 64B forward onto the base board stage which will be a nice change from scratch building the shed buildings and structures which I have been doing for the past few years.

Best Regards

David

Thanks David,

It should be on sale in the autumn. That's the plan, anyway.

I've committed myself, Ian Wilson and Paul Bason to have everything ready by the end of August, so we'll take it from there. I'm doing the majority and Ian and Paul are preparing chapters on building buildings. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Oops - you got me! 

Altered to retain any slight credibility I might still have!

I am sure it had no effect on your credibility,just one of those slips we humans are all prone to make from time to time. It does provide however an opening for some humour!