Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

More info. a 1970s poster of a Countach probably did more for careful spending than anything else. One friend managed to get a kit version, he never wasted money which could go instead oncars.

• Like 4

A2/3 Sun Castle arrived this morning. It looks good and certainly runs well straight out of the box.

Brake rigging to fit, crew and real coal followed by weathering. Pity about the steamroller wheel in the Cartazzi truck!! I've no doubt I'll butcher that to put in a flanged wheel that has enough movement to negotiate my layout.

sc.jpg

Edited by copleyhill007
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Traditionally, of course, one should not smoke until after the Loyal Toast although I suspect that your dinner was not as "Grand" as that. In the past, when chairing such an occasion, instead of the traditional "Gentlemen, you may now smoke" I would sometimes announce, simply, "Those who must, may". That also had the benefit of being gender-neutral.

I do miss a glass of port and a cigar though, which made listening to the after-dinner speaker a lot more tolerable...

Back in the late 1970s when I was first MC at a dinner it was still the order of the day that they did not allow women to attend. It was around that time that things began to change. You are of course correct about the permission. At some events cross toasting was allowed and again the MC had to announce this at the appropriate moment. When smoking started to fall out of fashion there were some rather direct phrases used along the lines of "those who wish to indulge in the vile habit may now do so".

Bernard

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom F said:

Tony kindly asked if I’d edit some more Little Bytham footage he had taken, including some work in progress kit builds.

The video failed to upload overnight, but thankfully did this morning!

Enjoy!

Thanks for this Tom,

The footage was shot just prior to Christmas, and some of it shows Hornby's new A2/2 (60505) in operation. The 60501 shown in action is my DJH/Wright/Rathone example.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

One 'amusing' incident (amusing in hindsight) occurred some time ago now when I was invited to a book launch in Edinburgh. I went up with David Brown (then editor of BRM), and we stayed overnight, the book launch being on the next day. On the evening before, the publishers invited David, me and the author for dinner at a superb restaurant. One of the delights of a good meal to me is the period before its served, where one can enjoy the aromas of the different dishes. On being seated, we'd ordered drinks and were about to order our meals, when the author asked us 'You don't mind if I smoke, do you?'. My three other companions said nothing, but I immediately said 'Yes, I do. You'll ruin the meal!'. The others were aghast, and the author must have have thought I was joking because he continued. 'Yes I do!' I exclaimed; then he got the message. It did rather dampen any further conversation, and after he'd picked at his food, the author bade his farewells and disappeared into the Edinburgh night, only to return in the wee small hours telling me 'You've ruined it, I'm supposed to be the star!'. He was dead drunk. 

An analogous situation happened to me, except I was the author. I gave a talk in Oxford and was then taken to a pub by my hosts who then got into a bitter argument because one of them wanted to smoke and one of them didn't. The atmosphere got very tetchy very quickly and I was quite glad to finish my pint and leave.

• Friendly/supportive 5

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

On being seated, we'd ordered drinks and were about to order our meals, when the author asked us 'You don't mind if I smoke, do you?'.

I, too, don't have a problem with folk choosing to smoke (remember, I smoked a pipe), but only if it doesn't impact on me.  

That first line I've quoted demonstrates for me the arrogance of many smokers (at least those of the past), giving at best only a token nod to politeness and consideration since the "question" had an assumed answer, and even when the answer was not the assumed one, the intention was to carry on anyway. Many didn't even bother to ask. I fancy that some would be just as arrogant now if the law did not stand in the way.

I definitely agree with the final part of the second line I've quoted, as you can probably imagine...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tom F said:

Tony kindly asked if I’d edit some more Little Bytham footage he had taken, including some work in progress kit builds.

The video failed to upload overnight, but thankfully did this morning!

Enjoy!

Hi Tom

Fabulous video, very realistic.

Regards

David

38 minutes ago, gr.king said:

That first line I've quoted demonstrates for me the arrogance of many smokers (at least those of the past), giving at best only a token nod to politeness and consideration since the "question" had an assumed answer, and even when the answer was not the assumed one, the intention was to carry on anyway. Many didn't even bother to ask. I fancy that some would be just as arrogant now if the law did not stand in the way.

I definitely agree with the final part of the second line I've quoted, as you can probably imagine...

Good afternoon Graeme,

In my days working full time on BRM, I had the 'privilege' of a company car. Nothing fancy, a Focus estate - needed to carry all my photographic gear. 

Part of the requirement of having such a car was that every two years those who had one had to go on a driver awareness course, where safety was paramount (it might not surprise you to know that, though my driving competency was considered 'high', I drove too fast!). 

Anyway, the tutors (there'd be four employees on the course, sharing turns at driving two cars) kept on banging on about 'safety, safety, safety'! I was staggered to find at lunch that both were smokers; from the number of fags they lit up in an hour, I'd say heavy smokers. 'Having highlighted the potential hazards of speed, you're now indulging in something much more dangerous'. I said. 'I never exceeded the speed limit, but just got to it as quickly as possible'. I added. 

Both were ex-coppers, and they just grunted....................

I should add that I'm not condoning or suggesting dangerous driving; far from it, but it smacked of dual-standards to me.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tom

Fabulous video, very realistic.

Regards

David

Thanks David, although I can't really take any real credit. Tony filmed all the footage, I just stitched it together.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Thanks David, although I can't really take any real credit. Tony filmed all the footage, I just stitched it together.

Hi Tom

Still a job well done, and to Tony as well, those low level shots were excellent.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, thanks to both of you.

Regards

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2021 at 12:16, Tony Wright said:

More on the J3...................

2084699248_J313.jpg.64fd5dfa26a75d0cb155c1bcd442a0df.jpg

There's something about a brass loco............................

Good evening Tony, there is indeed :).

May I please ask about how you soldered the dome and chimney: did you tin their undersides - and the corresponding areas of the boiler - using 145, and then fix them using 70? And if so, was all the fixing soldering done from outside the boiler for both items?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chas Levin said:

Good evening Tony, there is indeed :).

May I please ask about how you soldered the dome and chimney: did you tin their undersides - and the corresponding areas of the boiler - using 145, and then fix them using 70? And if so, was all the fixing soldering done from outside the boiler for both items?

Good evening Chas,

It's exactly as you describe; tinned the undersides and the smokebox/boiler with 145 degree solder, then fixed with low-melt, from the outside (easier). Get the temperature right (about 300 degrees), flood the lot with flux and the solder gets sucked in place by capillary action. 

Stand back to admire, then rush to the First Aid box to attend to scorched fingers/thumb! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Apart from some detailing bits to so, the LRM J3 is about finished.

8497156_J314.jpg.2f1663fceee9e7ed4fd42851fcee6d91.jpg

I sort of gave up caring whether the tender is dead right in detail or not. Looking at pictures, no two seemed to be the same - three or two coal rails, different positions of the front bulkhead, whether some had a rear coal division plate or not, the type of filler, whether water pick-up apparatus was in place (even when it was removed, the breather cones remained) and whether tool boxes were present or not. If it's wrong, it's wrong!

I'm happy with how it looks and how it runs (every spare cubic quarter inch is full of lead).

A lovely little kit; everything fitted and it was great fun to build. Full marks to LRM.

A lovely looking J3 Tony. Rather better than my lumpen K's effort built c.40 years ago when I was a teenager. It's the oldest loco I still have running so I'm quite fond of it.

64140.jpg.396f63e32f7e08e6c5d3fcb8d71315f5.jpg

However, I was shocked by your carefree attitude to the tender - you wouldn't say that about a Gresley Pacific! Before you mention it, I'm sure mine is wrong for 64140.

Andy

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Graeme,

In my days working full time on BRM, I had the 'privilege' of a company car. Nothing fancy, a Focus estate - needed to carry all my photographic gear. 

Part of the requirement of having such a car was that every two years those who had one had to go on a driver awareness course, where safety was paramount (it might not surprise you to know that, though my driving competency was considered 'high', I drove too fast!). 

Anyway, the tutors (there'd be four employees on the course, sharing turns at driving two cars) kept on banging on about 'safety, safety, safety'! I was staggered to find at lunch that both were smokers; from the number of fags they lit up in an hour, I'd say heavy smokers. 'Having highlighted the potential hazards of speed, you're now indulging in something much more dangerous'. I said. 'I never exceeded the speed limit, but just got to it as quickly as possible'. I added. 

Both were ex-coppers, and they just grunted....................

I should add that I'm not condoning or suggesting dangerous driving; far from it, but it smacked of dual-standards to me.

Regards,

Tony. 

I am perplexed by the number of "safety professionals" that I know who ride motorcycles.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

I like to ski. Much safer - I think :)

A stunt man who worked on a Bond film was a skilled bike rider. Did stunts on snow. He was challenged by skiing professionals to a best time on a fast downhill. He won. All I can remember is a 500cc trail bike.

Details are pre internet so cannot find the names.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I am perplexed by the number of "safety professionals" that I know who ride motorcycles.

Safety professionals don't ban activities, they manage risks.

Some of them probably smoke which is almost certain to cause a long term health issue, many will drink alcohol which impairs judgment (they probably won't ride a motorbike afterwards though), they might also ride a bicycle which is also pretty dangerous in urban areas.  However, all they are doing is trading risk for benefit, which is what we all do every day.

Tony's Driver Awareness Course (I also did one at a previous employer, it was very good) reminds me of the story of the motorcyclist charged with riding without due care and attention, for doing a 200 yard wheelie.  His view was that to be able to do that without colliding with anyone or anything, meant he was likely being more careful and attentive than any other motorists around at the time.

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

A stunt man who worked on a Bond film was a skilled bike rider. Did stunts on snow. He was challenged by skiing professionals to a best time on a fast downhill. He won. All I can remember is a 500cc trail bike.

Details are pre internet so cannot find the names.

For Your Eyes Only and one of the Julienne family and an XT500, beyond that no idea as was an article in a bike mag.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

A lovely looking J3 Tony. Rather better than my lumpen K's effort built c.40 years ago when I was a teenager. It's the oldest loco I still have running so I'm quite fond of it.

64140.jpg.396f63e32f7e08e6c5d3fcb8d71315f5.jpg

However, I was shocked by your carefree attitude to the tender - you wouldn't say that about a Gresley Pacific! Before you mention it, I'm sure mine is wrong for 64140.

Andy

You should be fond of it Andrew, though anything I built in my teens is (hopefully) in the bin, buried or been squashed beyond recognition. 

Shocked by my tender-attitude? I don't have Malcolm Crawley's book on GNR tenders, so relied on Yeadon, the RCTS and published photographs. Can you find anyone observing any two of these arcane tenders which they'd swear were exactly the same? The front plate moves around like a modeller's nightmare, sometimes backwards, sometimes forwards, sometimes leaning, sometimes straight up, sometimes higher and sometimes lower; and, sometimes nothing more than a sort of hoop. Two coal rails or three? Open or filled-in? Water filler? Round, like yours (and mine), or box-like (as original)? Water pick-up gear fitted, or not? 

All I can say with some (un) certainty is that the wheelbase was always symmetrical and that none of the J3/J4 tenders had the handrail cut-out at the front (which makes yours wrong, though - horror upon horror, I wouldn't bother! There, I've mentioned it.  

Then there's the tank-side height - high or lower? The taller tenders tower over the little locos (as yours does); the last page of Yeadon's Volume Thirty-Seven, Part A illustrates this. Could the tender I've built be somewhere in between?

Of course, I'd get a Gresley Pacific tender as (near) right as possible. There are plenty of works to help me. Where are The Book of The J3s, The Power of the J3s and any other similar volumes? 

It's been a pleasure to have a few J3s run on LB......................

913282505_KsJ3.jpg.3336336cc2e610b3c762e5b7ad46f356.jpg

I can't remember who brought this K's example.

553002628_Trainsrunning39J3.jpg.b6f2b84738d289182a27e3ad265cfcbc.jpg

1575274837_Trainsrunning40J3.jpg.a35dd049163f0d0d31009f6ccf5504e6.jpg

I know Graeme King brought his lovely example along for the LNER weekend, near three years ago. It's actually running on K's wheels!

177410831_TomRanceJ3.jpg.d38a958a8fca06b32f73e494fc760808.jpg

This is Tom Rance's beautiful LRM example.

Interestingly, none of the three tenders in these shots is the same as another. Which is right? Or wrong?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1