Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

Another ECJM/ABS L1..............

L1.jpg.41055e5acab26512c93a4120081ce8cf.jpg

It appeared to be professionally-built/-painted (though its Portescap was locked solid and the Gibson drivers had shifted on their axles, so it didn't run). Builder/painter unknown, sold (to someone who'll fix it) on behalf of a widow. 

• Like 12

This was donated at the Stamford show last weekend.

KsStanierMogul01.jpg.3f97c1d1afdcda6c542c1b72e97ab3c3.jpg

It's a K's Stanier Mogul, minus a few bits and pieces.

I'll fit a motor and get it going, but there's no tender. Does anyone have a spare Fowler tender with coal rails, please? If so, please PM me.

When the whole thing is finished, I'll sell it - with proceeds going to CRUK. 

Thanks in anticipation (any reasonable fee paid for the tender, of course). 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm not sure if my perception is coloured by 'prejudice', but so many layouts I see at shows these days are populated by RTR items (especially diesel-/electric-outline, particularly the rather hackneyed - in my view - TMDs). Granted, I couldn't build anything 'modern image' to the incredibly high standards available RTR these days, but I find it rather refreshing when I see the creations of the likes of Clive Mortimer (who regularly posts on here). 

You wouldn't be alone in that view Tony.  I think the ones with DCC sound are particularly disliked by those exhibiting layouts next to them.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Mark,

I agree entirely that 3mm is a builders' scale, and all the better for that in my view. 

I'm not sure if my perception is coloured by 'prejudice', but so many layouts I see at shows these days are populated by RTR items (especially diesel-/electric-outline, particularly the rather hackneyed - in my view - TMDs). Granted, I couldn't build anything 'modern image' to the incredibly high standards available RTR these days, but I find it rather refreshing when I see the creations of the likes of Clive Mortimer (who regularly posts on here). 

And when did "loco sheds" etc. become TMDs?  People seem to be applying that name on '60s scenes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Laidlay said:

And when did "loco sheds" etc. become TMDs?  People seem to be applying that name on '60s scenes.

After the end of steam, certainly, and the middle word, maintenance, is the critical one. Locos only generally entered them with that purpose, spending much of their down time in simple Stabling Points.

Prior to that, the official term for sheds of significant size was Motive Power Depot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning,

That's a lovely job you've made of that Rapido W&U carriage.

The whole W&U set is rather splendid................

RapidoWisbechUpwelltrain15.jpg.1c517cc3692e3626f58baace0d748482.jpg

RapidoWisbechUpwelltrain16.jpg.d0dd111b35775b2dec998e8d51be2f59.jpg

RapidoWisbechUpwelltrain17.jpg.b71233b9d9e6e0fb02d5058ba2e49345.jpg

A bit of detailing, a touch of weathering and there you go...................

My style is perhaps a TAD unusual as it is all done with artists acrylics, chalks and inks.

Martyn

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

You wouldn't be alone in that view Tony.  I think the ones with DCC sound are particularly disliked by those exhibiting layouts next to them.....

Or in the same hall if it has any Class 20's........

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, mullie said:

My style is perhaps a TAD unusual as it is all done with artists acrylics, chalks and inks.

Martyn

Fascinating.... I've never been good with any form of acrylics and inks have always been a challenge, while chalks are decently manageable.  Props to you for making great work with this combination.  I'm still stuck with oils and enamels that are up to twice as old as me!  I wonder what traits of usage makes the various methods easier for certain people.  Now that would be interesting!

• Like 3

Never heard of a TMD till I read of these things in flyers for railway exhibitions. Back in the day, you went to the Diesel Depot or the Holding Sidings. Cannot think where Bescot, Saltley or Tysley  TMD was but the Diesel Depot, Oh yes!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mullie said:

Martyn

As someone using similar products to Mullie, but with a slightly different approach, one thing I have noticed is that much of the mainstream published material is all around using commercial products with quoted label numbers/names. I grew up in a home with two trained artists as parents therefore mixing the final colour from a range was the norm I grew up with. Yes basic body livery colours probably do need to be bought branded but for scenery and weathering??? 

Edited by john new
Hit the save button too soon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If you’re talking about diesel sound on TMDs then I tend to agree. If they’re all left on it becomes a wall of unpleasant noise.

On the other hand, if I’m next to a DCC sound layout with an occasional, say, 37 or Gresley Pacific passing through, then I eagerly await their passing.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

A great time, with just one 'moan' (nothing to do with the event). I thought tractor drivers (particularly those of very big tractors with trailers) were supposed to pull in where convenient and let a procession of faster vehicles go by (and I mean a long procession). Following some selfish farmer for miles on the Fosse Way rather spoilt our journey home. 

Can drivers let traffic past?

According to Rule 169 of the Highway Code, motorists should not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if they are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle.

It informs drivers to frequently check their mirrors, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It was my privilege yesterday (along with Mo) to be to be a judge and guest speaker at the 3mm Society AGM in Swindon.

What a splendid event! Lots and lots of models which had been MADE. Some old Tri-ang RTR, of course (at incredibly low prices), but most of what was on display was incredibly creative (one of the last bastions of actual modelling?). 

My task was very difficult, but I arrived at an overall winner in the competitions............

competitions05overallwinnerBulleid4EPB.jpg.37fc335aa8af17b613b25411df42f61a.jpg

This Bulleid SR EMU - a model of consistency.

12mmmychassis.jpg.64c9b33bd0036633ca0fb8cc9f49ffb8.jpg

I took along the 12mm Jinty chassis I'd made, and (amazingly) it ran really well (my having no 12mm gauge track at home to test it on). 

I was asked if I could fix any 'dud' locos, but could only give a diagnosis.............

14.2RoyalScot.jpg.f24ac191ed9620d212810e892aee7d09.jpg

In the case of this rather nice scratch-built 14.2mm Royal Scot, it needs a complete mechanical rebuild.

In the background is one of my 4mm locos I took along for display.

HeybridgeWharf14.jpg.3699dd5bb214f0c5a44179c0c951c4a2.jpg

And one of the locos on Mike Corp's lovely Heybridge Wharf needs a new motor (not the one in the picture, but a GWR pannier!). 

LincolnLocoAndyClaytonWRNBType2Hymek.jpg.1f72acb3e8a0c8cc49418a292001fe4d.jpg

Andy Clayton showed some Lincoln Locos he'd painted/weathered.

3D-printedwagons.jpg.b419f530b9f608dd2cd740885212a1fd.jpg

And these 3D-printed wagons were also on display.

My most grateful thanks to the Society (particularly Martin Gentle) for inviting us. Astonishingly, I offended no one with my post-AGM comments! 

A great time, with just one 'moan' (nothing to do with the event). I thought tractor drivers (particularly those of very big tractors with trailers) were supposed to pull in where convenient and let a procession of faster vehicles go by (and I mean a long procession). Following some selfish farmer for miles on the Fosse Way rather spoilt our journey home. 

Tractor drivers in Dorset never pull over, like others, I'm aware of the highway code and was used to them doing so in Essex.

Dorset roads beyond Ringwood are not good so in the summer we have the added nuisance of slow moving tourists. I think they forget that some of us live here and have to get about including go to work.

I'm going to get off my soapbox as I could be on it for hours!

Martyn

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 96701 said:

According to Rule 169 of the Highway Code, motorists should not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if they are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle.

It informs drivers to frequently check their mirrors, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

One factor I have noticed on the occasions where the holder-up vehicle is named is vehicles belonging to contractors don’t but when one has done so it has appeared more like one of the local farmers. The fact those that don’t generally look quite smart, (for appearances on contract) rather than dirt stained and dented may well bear this out. Like @mulliesays though you can be stuck behind one here in Dorset for miles as they are running slow enough to be annoying but too fast to safely overtake.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It was my privilege yesterday (along with Mo) to be to be a judge and guest speaker at the 3mm Society AGM in Swindon.

What a splendid event! Lots and lots of models which had been MADE. Some old Tri-ang RTR, of course (at incredibly low prices), but most of what was on display was incredibly creative (one of the last bastions of actual modelling?). 

My task was very difficult, but I arrived at an overall winner in the competitions............

competitions05overallwinnerBulleid4EPB.jpg.37fc335aa8af17b613b25411df42f61a.jpg

This Bulleid SR EMU - a model of consistency.

12mmmychassis.jpg.64c9b33bd0036633ca0fb8cc9f49ffb8.jpg

I took along the 12mm Jinty chassis I'd made, and (amazingly) it ran really well (my having no 12mm gauge track at home to test it on). 

I was asked if I could fix any 'dud' locos, but could only give a diagnosis.............

14.2RoyalScot.jpg.f24ac191ed9620d212810e892aee7d09.jpg

In the case of this rather nice scratch-built 14.2mm Royal Scot, it needs a complete mechanical rebuild.

In the background is one of my 4mm locos I took along for display.

HeybridgeWharf14.jpg.3699dd5bb214f0c5a44179c0c951c4a2.jpg

And one of the locos on Mike Corp's lovely Heybridge Wharf needs a new motor (not the one in the picture, but a GWR pannier!). 

LincolnLocoAndyClaytonWRNBType2Hymek.jpg.1f72acb3e8a0c8cc49418a292001fe4d.jpg

Andy Clayton showed some Lincoln Locos he'd painted/weathered.

3D-printedwagons.jpg.b419f530b9f608dd2cd740885212a1fd.jpg

And these 3D-printed wagons were also on display.

My most grateful thanks to the Society (particularly Martin Gentle) for inviting us. Astonishingly, I offended no one with my post-AGM comments! 

Nice to speak to you yesterday Tony.....

That EMU was my winner too, and I didn't even vote, never got round to it

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 96701 said:

Some years ago a driver of a JCB-type vehicle was prosecuted after (I think) driving about ten miles on a single carriageway section of the A303 in Somerset, without pulling over.  No criticism of you is intended Tony, but I've often found that the problem is made much worse by the number of drivers without the skills or confidence to execute a safe overtake, often driving cars with more than enough performance to make it easy (and safe).

Edited by Northmoor
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Or an original WC? Also painted by Ian. 

This shot brings back great personal memories of my watching the real things going really fast on the ex-LSWR main line, in steam's last year.

Two great SR locomotives featured in your wonderful panned images, much appreciated.

I too recall those last years of SR steam on the LSWR main line to Southampton and Bournemouth. I was fortunate enough to have a cab pass for a few weeks as part of my training and some lobbying by Mr Les Elsey (Photographer and fitter at Eastleigh Diesel Depot) whom I worked with at Eastleigh. Remember a great run in the cab of 35013 Southampton to Waterloo non stop. 100mph on the speedometer at Battledown. I have probably mentioned this before but why not! It was wonderful but very scarry too!

Kind regards,

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3

In my neck of the woods the problem is compounded on one busy A-road frequented by agricultural vehicles at certain times of year by the County Council having painted double white lines in all the places overtaking could “safely” have been attempted; so even if you could, you can’t …

• Friendly/supportive 6

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

34094panning02.jpg.8d25c4e78c63efdef1089c02151a86b6.jpg

Or an original WC? Also painted by Ian. 

For me, spamcans are the models where I really notice the difference metal bodywork makes. The slight ripples in the casing catching the light capture something of the real thing that perfectly flat plastic sides just can't.

I've never really noticed the same thing with A4s, I guess the boiler bands help break the sides up?

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Regarding the etch fold up chassis in kits I  recall making a chassis back last century for a mate that was from the M&L range - it was the 2 LMS tanks in the one kit and I have just done a search and found that their DX goods is also a fold up chassis.  These work in OO and make other modelers who like wider gauges to extra work to install wider spacers. The only down side I recall was some of the chassis ended up very narrow. to get motors & gear boxes in. 

I know David Bradwell's Q6, J26/27, and J39 Kits are all fold up arrangements for P4 making other gauges do extra work to narrow the chassis to EM and OO. the First J27 I built I found that the nickel silver produced a over width chassis to P4... it was inexperience and blind luck to place the chassis in a modelers vice and squeeze the entire chassis back to the correct width.  The next locos I built I squeezed up the chassis to begin with! 

Tony you must be loosing your edge if you failed to offend any one at the 3mm AGM! 🤣

• Like 2