Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

May I refer you to the following book, (described as 'The first serious volume to focus on this class in the last fifty years.')*, -

The Great Western 'Halls.' and modified 'Halls.';

Laurence Waters;

Pen and Sword;

978 178383145 6.;

GBP.45.74.;

160pp.,  with over 200 b&w. or colour photos. shewing each member of the class.  (Each member of the class is excellently illustrated.)*

* Publisher's blurb.,

Despite the price I hae me doots as to whether drawings are included?  Possibly worth enquiring before intended purchase.

Usual disclaimer.       :locomotive:  .

To illustrate each member, they would need 330 photos.

Robert C

Just to let people know, because those who donate won't personally mention it...................

Everyone I'm helping in their railway modelling, either in constructing models, fixing models or working on/with models already made has donated something to charities of their choice, be it Cancer Research, research into strokes, the Lincolnshire Air Ambulance of children's hospices, and others. 

May I thank everyone collectively, please? 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

May I refer you to the following book, (described as 'The first serious volume to focus on this class in the last fifty years.')*, -

The Great Western 'Halls.' and modified 'Halls.';

Laurence Waters;

Pen and Sword;

978 178383145 6.;

GBP.45.74.;

160pp.,  with over 200 b&w. or colour photos. shewing each member of the class.  (Each member of the class is excellently illustrated.)*

* Publisher's blurb.,

Despite the price I hae me doots as to whether drawings are included?  Possibly worth enquiring before intended purchase.

Usual disclaimer.       :locomotive:  .

Would the NRM have drawings for the Hall? GC North and other owners might have such a thing?

Copies less expensive than the book?

Phil

Excellent day yesterday as one of three guest operators of Little Bytham, along with Mark Jenkins and Sandra Orpen.

I somehow managed to come away with a B1, which is seen here in its new habitat - a bit out of place period wise with the blue/grey stock in the background. It needs some lamps but I need to paint some Lanarkshire Models ones first.  It runs well apart from not liking a dead frog diamond crossing, which I must get round to replacing with a live frog one. My layout is so old that Peco had not introduced the live frog one when I bought the track.

35732229596_cb21f70fab_b.jpg20161024_142101am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 10

Excellent day yesterday as one of three guest operators of Little Bytham, along with Mark Jenkins and Sandra Orpen.

I somehow managed to come away with a B1, which is seen here in its new habitat - a bit out of place period wise with the blue/grey stock in the background. It needs some lamps but I need to paint some Lanarkshire Models ones first.  It runs well apart from not liking a dead frog diamond crossing, which I must get round to replacing with a live frog one. My layout is so old that Peco had not introduced the live frog one when I bought the track.

20161024_142101am_zpsb1pnpyfd.jpg

Thanks for such diligent operating, Robert. 

Just out of interest to you and the (possible?) interest of others, that queen wasp you squirted yesterday died and landed on a point in the fiddle yard. When I ran the layout today with a friend, though it didn't derail the loco, it brought the bogie off on the front coach! Revenge? 

Edited by Tony Wright

Thanks for such diligent operating, Robert. 

Just out of interest to you and the (possible?) interest of others, that queen wasp you squirted yesterday died and landed on a point in the fiddle yard. When I ran the layout today with a friend, though it didn't derail the loco, it brought the bogie off on the front coach! Revenge? 

Mark did the squirting, not me!

I don't think Network Rail has ever given a wasp as the reason for an interruption to the train service.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

20161024_142101am_zpsb1pnpyfd.jpg

I think I have a C75 Electrofrog Long Xing if you need one. If you like I will go and check later.

Phil

I think I have a C75 Electrofrog Long Xing if you need one. If you like I will go and check later.

Phil

Thanks, but I have one ready and waiting. It's just that the offending crossing is in the middle of lots of pointwork which would have to be dug up. Wiring would also need to be altered. Hence I'm waiting for a points failure to make the work a necessity.

Would the NRM have drawings for the Hall? GC North and other owners might have such a thing?

Copies less expensive than the book?

Phil

Hi Mallard,

I can see that you have quoted a Post there which is showing in my 'alerts' as a reply to my question re drawings for Halls, yet I cant find the Poster or the Post?

Kindest,

M.

EDIT; Found it, some weird IT glitch!?

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

even though my tap set is metric and the supplied screws are imperial. According to a conversion chart I found, 8BA and M2.2 are "close enough" - it might not be good engineering but it worked, anyway, and I can add tapping to the list of things I can do if pushed. Like many of us, I suspect, I'm comfortable with a set of basic modelling skills acquired over years, but occasionally timid about trying something new - however sometimes you just have no choice, and it turns out not to be as tricky as feared.

BA is a metric standard too not imperial.  It's just a British one with a different thread pitch to the "Metric" standard.

Edited by asmay2002

Tony,

Thanks for letting me, together with Robert and Mark, operate Little Bytham yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and the railway worked very well. When operating the timetable the only problems we had were due to mistakes by us as operators and by the appearance of the dreaded wasp. All working at Little Bytham stopped whilst we tried to chase it out of the shed. I'm sorry it caused a derailment today but we did try to avoid killing it.

The only derailment we had I put down to the mineral train taking exception to being pulled along the east coast main line by a Taff Vale 0-6-2.

Once again Tony, thank you for letting me have the privilege of operating the railway which looks even better with the new footbridge, platform canopies and backscene.

Sandra

Tony,

Thanks for letting me, together with Robert and Mark, operate Little Bytham yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and the railway worked very well. When operating the timetable the only problems we had were due to mistakes by us as operators and by the appearance of the dreaded wasp. All working at Little Bytham stopped whilst we tried to chase it out of the shed. I'm sorry it caused a derailment today but we did try to avoid killing it.

The only derailment we had I put down to the mineral train taking exception to being pulled along the east coast main line by a Taff Vale 0-6-2.

Once again Tony, thank you for letting me have the privilege of operating the railway which looks even better with the new footbridge, platform canopies and backscene.

Sandra

Most of the operator errors occurred in the fiddleyard and were down to my lack of familiarity with the panel and inability to concentrate.

Little Bytham runs remarkably well and shows how Tony's investment of time and effort on making things run has paid off.

• Like 1

Tony,

Sandra

Sandra,

My thanks are due to the three of you for making the day so enjoyable. I'm delighted you all had a good time; I know I did. 

I do count it a great privilege when dear friends visit, and I can just leave them alone to run the railway. To begin with some visitors were astonished that I could just abandon them to run Little Bytham as they please. On Sunday, it was vital that I assisted Nigel with his chassis-building. Please, don't in the least bit concern yourself with doing any 'damage'. What can visitors damage? I don't invite hoodlums, lunatics or those of nefarious intent. If a train goes into the back of another, so what? What's damaged? A wagon buffer at most. I've yet to repair several of those caused by my driving the Yorkshire Pullman into the rear of a coal train. Since I made the A1s and I didn't make the coal train, I know which is going to come off better!

I've said before that I would derive no enjoyment from my railway by having to 'apologise' for poor running. I think it's my long association with the great Roy Jackson which began my zeal for entirely reliable operation. I don't know why the coal train derailed - your beautiful 0-6-2T was hauling it perfectly. I've investigated and left it running round for an hour last night whilst I did some layout work and took pictures. It worked perfectly. 

If I made a list of my requirements for good running it would include these...........

1. Solid, stable and flat baseboards (particularly at joints). I have these thanks to Norman Turner.

2. Excellent trackwork, both in the way it's made, how it's laid and how it's wired up. With regard to Norman Solomon's trackwork, there is nothing better. I insisted on laying all the non-scenic/fiddle yard track myself and soldered every single feed. This is not because I don't believe others can do it, it's just that I prefer self-reliance and, if anything goes wrong, I can (usually) fix it. Where others have been involved with the wiring (Norman Solomon and Rob Kinsey), I have absolute faith in their abilities, as I have in all the other contributors to the project.

3. All locomotives must work entirely reliably, powerfully, smoothly and quietly. I reject anything not meeting those requirements. If I'm entirely beholden on motive power made in some far away factory or built by someone else, then I become a hostage to fortune; I thus, as you know, make my own. If nothing else, if they do fail (and it does happen), I have nobody else to blame.

4. All stock must run 'perfectly'. This, as with the locos, is impossible, I know. However, if all bogies are square, all chassis are square and all b-t-bs are consistent, then one is on the way. In general most RTR rolling stock in OO is pretty good these days, but there are still those hundreds of carriages I've built/modified which must run perfectly. I trust others with regard to the freight stock, and they don't let me down.

If all the above sounds like the ramblings of a raving zealot, then so be it. I've lost count of the number of hours I've spent 'fiddling' with others' layouts, in an attempt to get them to go properly - adjusting trackwork, easing crossings, checking wiring, etc. The same is so for locos and stock - adjusting pick-ups, tinkering with valve gear and motion, trying to get 'boxes/motors to run sweetly and so on, some built by 'professionals'. The same is also so for stock - correcting errors, running gear, etc. If some of the owners cannot do these things then they need to learn how. Otherwise, if things go wrong they're stuffed, or poorer. That's why I have a programme of assisting modellers who are prepared to try. I certainly don't have all the answers, but I might (just) have some.  

So, as with all my many wonderful guests, the invitation is on-going to visit. That many visitors return time after time means at least one thing. Mo's a wonderful hostess.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 7

Would the NRM have drawings for the Hall? 

Phil

Agreed - the a/m. book is not cheap.

Other suggestions are -

>. - Our friends at Didcot - surely a repository of many matters GWR?

>. - The GWR. Society and/or the publishers of the GWR. Magazine;

>. - I have lived o'seas. for the last dozen or so years thus the following info. might be out-of-date:

Running parallel to each other and between Charing X. rd. & St. Martin's Lane are Cecil Court & Gee's Ct., (?),.

In one of them there used to be a bookshop devoted to most matters pertaining to tpt. topics, (apologies, but I forget the name.).  Possibly it might be helpful - if not for drgs. then for books?

:locomotive:

>. - I have lived o'seas. for the last dozen or so years thus the following info. might be out-of-date:

Running parallel to each other and between Charing X. rd. & St. Martin's Lane are Cecil Court & Gee's Ct., (?),.

In one of them there used to be a bookshop devoted to most matters pertaining to tpt. topics, (apologies, but I forget the name.).  Possibly it might be helpful - if not for drgs. then for books?

:locomotive:

I believe you think of Motorbooks.  I'm not sure whether it is still there.  Someone will know!

Chris

Depending on location, Ian Allan is also still operating near New Street Station in Birmingham.  I understand the Manchester shop has followed Cardiff into oblivion.

I am sorry that MotorBooks has closed, a goldmine for difficult to find railway books, even North American books at reasonable prices.

Worth adding that there is one of those "cheapie" bookshops - The Book Warehouse - in the same street as Ian Allan at Waterloo, ie in Lower Marsh; just a little further down and on the opposite side of the road. They have a large collection of railway/transport books (including some s/h) and are open most days until 20:00.

My workplace is at the back of them, so I am a frequent visitor to both shops!

Stewart

• Like 1

The work for my forthcoming book for Crowood Press is almost complete, outlining an approach to modelling an ECML prototype location in the BR steam era. The complete manuscript will be delivered on Friday. It might well be more than one volume. Obviously it's not solely about Little Bytham's construction (I have an extensive library of pictures of other suitable layouts) but in principle it will consist of eight constructional chapters comprising...................

1. Planning

2. Baseboard construction (only a part of this my work).

3. Trackwork, ballasting, wiring and signalling (50-50) my work.

4. Basic scenery (some of my work).

5. Building structures (only a little part of this my work).

6. Locomotives (my work).

7. Rolling stock including making up prototype trains (my work).

8. Creating a running sequence. 

The list shows my obvious interests. 

attachicon.gifLB overall view 10.jpg

With work on the layout at a finished-enough stage to be able to complete the book, shots like this will be included. I've attempted to stand on the M&GNR embankment and point my camera across the Glen Valley westwards, catching an A2/2 on a lengthy Down express. That the work of so many talented people is coming together in (I believe to be) an harmonious way is a testament to their exceptional relative abilities. My work, as is to be expected, is with regard to the locos and trains, though not much with freight stock. It's also very gratifying that not a great deal has involved the passing over of 'dirty' money or the scribbling of cheques. I recommend bartering completely. 

Though I'm not a sentimentalist, there are some items in this view which came from the collection of my late (and very dear) friend, Dave Shakespeare. The Austerity on the headshunt is his reworking of a Bachmann one and those beautiful trees behind the train came from Tetleys Mills. They are priceless items. 

attachicon.gifLB overall view 11.jpg

Much in the way of anecdotal information and priceless family photos were provided by a lady whose father was a signalman at Little Bytham in the '50s. She lived in one of the station cottages. Their footprint is visible and they're being built by Bob Dawson and his grandson, Scott Waterfield. Isobel's mum is calling to her daughter and her friends (and the dog) to come in for their tea (when the cottages are built). I've recently re-roofed the goods shed with embossed slates, weathering it to give a more realistic finish.

attachicon.gifLB overall view 12.jpg

Ian Wilson's all-but-completed footbridge finishes off this view very nicely in my opinion. Another example of symbiosis where I built the loco and train (Ian Rathbone painted 60113, of course) and Ian W, Bob and Scott provided the buildings? Not to mention Mick Nicholson's and Graham Nicholas' signals, all around Norman Solomon's peerless track. And, what about Richard Wilson's wonderful gardening? There are also lots of other little touches provided by others. 

Speaking of books, my latest bookazine from Irwell is just out in Smiths. It's all about my personal recollections of the Deltics. Naturally, there are a couple of bloopers, but it's generally turned out very well. I'm now working on the 50s' book. Why, because I'm cheap!

Hi Tony

I must say Little Bytham is looking very impressive indeed with the new structures and additional landscaping, and a great set of new photos as well.

Very interesting looking at the contents of your forthcoming book, as I have only completed the first two of your chapters so far on Haymarket 64B I believe it will be a great help to me for the coming tasks ahead.

And as I have to completely re-decorate the room I am using at the moment for railway modelling, "orders from the boss" it will probably be the New Year before  I am in a position to start track laying and wiring.

May I ask do you have any publication date yet for your new book?

Regards

David

Worth adding that there is one of those "cheapie" bookshops - The Book Warehouse - in the same street as Ian Allan at Waterloo, ie in Lower Marsh; just a little further down and on the opposite side of the road. They have a large collection of railway/transport books (including some s/h) and are open most days until 20:00.

My workplace is at the back of them, so I am a frequent visitor to both shops!

Stewart

Useful to know. The remainders bookshop on the corner of Waterloo Road and Bayliss Road disappeared a while back.

Useful to know. The remainders bookshop on the corner of Waterloo Road and Bayliss Road disappeared a while back.

It is the same one, re-opened in new premises due to redevelopment of the old site. There is another branch in Southampton Row (just north of the old Kingsway tram subway ramp), but I've never really found any transport books in there.

Hi Tony

I must say Little Bytham is looking very impressive indeed with the new structures and additional landscaping, and a great set of new photos as well.

Very interesting looking at the contents of your forthcoming book, as I have only completed the first two of your chapters so far on Haymarket 64B I believe it will be a great help to me for the coming tasks ahead.

And as I have to completely re-decorate the room I am using at the moment for railway modelling, "orders from the boss" it will probably be the New Year before  I am in a position to start track laying and wiring.

May I ask do you have any publication date yet for your new book?

Regards

David

Dear David,

As mentioned, I'll send the complete manuscript to Crowood on Friday (my deadline is the end of this month). After that it'll be up to them. 

Every book I've ever written needed a tweak before publication, so I'd say early in the New Year. 

The first book for Booklaw will be completed by then (LNER Locomotives in Detail) where I'll caption well over a hundred of the late Keith Pirt's fantastic pictures. The book will be aimed at modellers as well as enthusiasts. It's publication date is timed for the Glasgow Show at the end of February. Then, it's more for Booklaw and for Irwell - prototype books. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2