Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

As Tony has kindly invited us to post a few photos of our layouts I thought, on this predominately Eastern thread, to post some WR photos of my last two layouts, Wencombe and Kingsbridge Regis. If you like them and wish to see more follow the thread at the end of the post.

First some views of Wencombe

post-7090-0-35904600-1522241346_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-58170800-1522241368_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-20386600-1522241504_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-47339700-1522241402_thumb.jpg

Kingsbridge Regis

post-7090-0-07705000-1522241427_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-15025000-1522241452_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-53256000-1522241474_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Just a word of constructive criticism, if I may.

The DMU marker lights with red discs were not used as rear lights during the green era - regulations required an oil lamp, as new-fangled electricity was considered to be too unreliable !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

Thank you so much for your advice. I will most certainly alter my green DMUs accordingly, very soon. Thank you, too, to everyone else who commented so helpfully. It is the main reason I like RM Web as much as I do. 

If you look carefully you will see in the same photograph that the brake van also has a tail lamp which is lit. I bought a set of the lamps, with tiny red surface mounting LEDs wired into them, from DCC Concepts just to see if I could fit them, hide the wires and make them work from pick ups on all four wheels. I took the time to try a number of different values of resistor to reduce the brightness of the lamp since it was otherwise as garishly bright as the DMU tail lamps. I operate with DCC so the lamp is lit all the time the van is on the track. 

You will see from the photos that my layout has two loops so we are getting into the sphere of brake vans with three rear lamps on a train in the loop having to have the lamp nearest the main line changed from red to white by the guard. I guess there may be a way to use a DCC function decoder to make that happen but I'll leave that for the time being I think.

Your advice, John, has now prompted me to think about fitting one of these lit tail lamps to each of my DMUs. Clearly the wiring is there for the DMU marker lights so presumably it could be utilised to work the tail lamp, hopefully without too much work.

Archie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of older pictures of my version of Leeds Central. Many liberties taken due to usual space restrictions but I can replicate all the main operations that I'm aware of (and grateful to the Xpress publishing of typical days workings of 1957). I've tried to incorporate the main features of the station save that I've still got to do the overall roof - at the moment, for speed and ease, I have a Peco arched train shed, to be replaced soonish...once I master mass production of girder sections. The signals were a significant feature at Leeds and these are built using a combination of the wonderful MSE components and burnt fingers. The links and cranks all work but I've yet to find away of operating remotely with 4 signals per gantry - any advice welcome, I'm looking at model aircraft servos as a possibility.

The loco pictured in the first photograph is an A1 conversion of an old Trix A2 body - before Bachmann A1 models were available. It was my first attempt at this sort of thing and invariably has its faults but it worked and plugged a gap at the time.

attachicon.gifLeeds Central 1.jpg

attachicon.gifLeeds Central 2.jpg

Always good to pick up tips here and there chatting to people at exhibitions - I've always found most exhibitors very helpful.

Nick

Servos can be used very successfully. Two very good threads to look at are 

a) Liverpool Lime Street where Steve Hewitt has done some fabulous work in 4mm.

b) Jon Fitness's thread about 7mm signals.   

You can also get software to programme bounce into them.

Jamie

Just a few, Jack........................

*snip*

I've loads more, but too little time to search..........................................

Those are excellent, I particularly like the Photo of the River Class at the entrance to all of that lovely pointwork.

Thank you very much for posting!

• RMweb Gold

Jamie

I did a bit of playing around with servos and Megapoints signal controllers (with bounce) last year - there's a write-up on my

blog for anyone interested:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/257/entry-20106-recent-projects-on-the-summer-module/

Here's my starter and shunt signal, with the servos mounted, and showing how it plugs into the layout. I might have posted

these before, apologies if that's the case. It really is very straightforward to get the servos doing what you want, and the bounce

is immensely satisfying.

Al

blogentry-6720-0-12957100-1510783172_thu

blogentry-6720-0-77521900-1510783071_thu

• Like 10

Tony,

My comment was directed to Manxcat, and referred to the DMU photo in his post.

Many RTR DMUs have switches to isolate lights if they are not required; if not, there are bound to be list members who are far more au fait with internal electrics than I am!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John,

I was aware of that, and I'm pleased that folk comment on posts made here by others. It's only by observation and making mention of things that we all learn. In fact, I must attend to the glaring lights on the two Bachmann DMUs which run on LB, both front and rear (though which is front and rear of a DMU?).

The constructive criticism given by all, I think is what's so useful about this thread. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tony

That is a significant list. One addition to that list is another layout that mesmerised me in my childhood and that's the one of the Gainsborough Model Railway Society that covered aspects of KX to Leeds Central, don't know if you've ever photographed it. Always worth a visit if only to hear the clanging bells of the signalling operations.

And Retford is somewhere I spent time watching the end of steam and the arrival of Deltics. My other haunt was up the line at Dukeries Junction (Tuxford) an interesting track layout and with the ECML crossed by the LDEC (although it never made it to Lancashire).

I think the ECML offers a broad range of landscape and scale and size of station (eg Little Bytham) with, of course, the possibility of running large engines, not to everyone's taste but for exhibition it can be an attractive proposition. Has anyone done Selby?

Nick

Nick,

I have photographed the Gainsborough model railway (that was one Kings Cross on the list).

We might have been side-by-side at Retford (1956-1963), as were hundreds of other boys. 

I think the ECML's appeal is in its big engines - almost 400 RA9 examples. No other line had such a preponderance of large locos. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it suits more than any of the others if my list is anything to go by. 

Selby? Not to my knowledge, though John Philips is building Doncaster in blue diesel days.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I'll take a look. I'm trying to use simple mechanics and motors or just mechanics and gravity. I'm still DC and switches, cab control and isolated sections and have avoided (so far) computers straying onto my tracks so programming software to bounce is beyond me at the moment! I'm sure I'll catch up soon. However the main challenge is that I have a fiddle yard beneath where the signals are so I have a restriction on depth - bad design one might say but I have a lot of railway in a smallish amount of space - There's about 1.25 inches clearance!

Edited by nickrail

On the subject of using thread and springs for signal operation on fixed layouts, I recall there was an ingenious system described in an early MRJ where this was done using units made out of tube. These gave a bounce to the arm every time. (Was it one Peter Squib who created these?)I suppose these days the servo option has made it a lot easier. 

Some lovely pictures being shown here thank you. I admire the collective talent and ability!

East coast based layouts?  You have not mentioned Fencehouses (is that allowed?) Wallsea, the one based on Waverley Station, Bert Collins line, and there was another by a chap called B. Van Meeteren(?) who had an extensive collection of hand built locos. I am sure that there are others that we know little about.  

At Ally Pally Hattons had specimens of their 7mm A3 & A4 and Gresley coaches. I think these will cause a lot of folk to turn to the true path!

Martin Long

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of using thread and springs for signal operation on fixed layouts, I recall there was an ingenious system described in an early MRJ where this was done using units made out of tube. These gave a bounce to the arm every time. (Was it one Peter Squib who created these?)I suppose these days the servo option has made it a lot easier. 

Some lovely pictures being shown here thank you. I admire the collective talent and ability!

East coast based layouts?  You have not mentioned Fencehouses (is that allowed?) Wallsea, the one based on Waverley Station, Bert Collins line, and there was another by a chap called B. Van Meeteren(?) who had an extensive collection of hand built locos. I am sure that there are others that we know little about.  

At Ally Pally Hattons had specimens of their 7mm A3 & A4 and Gresley coaches. I think these will cause a lot of folk to turn to the true path!

Martin Long

The system I use for working semaphore signals is based on / inspired by that described by Chris Pendlenton in MRJ no. 12 - I wonder whether that's the one you have in mind?  To me it seems simpler than involving electrickery (and is more like the way real ones work), but that's probably just me being old fashioned - each to his own!

• RMweb Premium

Nick,

I have photographed the Gainsborough model railway (that was one Kings Cross on the list).

We might have been side-by-side at Retford (1956-1963), as were hundreds of other boys. 

I think the ECML's appeal is in its big engines - almost 400 RA9 examples. No other line had such a preponderance of large locos. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it suits more than any of the others if my list is anything to go by. 

Selby? Not to my knowledge, though John Philips is building Doncaster in blue diesel days.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Was the other KX the N gauge one that featured in the model press a few years ago, the OO gauge loft based one which has a thread on RMWEB ("The Kings Cross Layout Mid 50's to Mid 60's") or is there another one that I don't know about?

Andy

Have been very interested in Nick's Leeds Central. I built an embryonic one in my loft over 40 years ago. I too built the underslung end-of-platform signals, but from Ratio kits. They are stationary aswell. They are all that was left of the layout after a house move in 1983.

post-22858-0-22238200-1522269422_thumb.jpg

Now I've moved a mile away from Leeds Central (with my modelling that is) and am developing my version of Copley Hill Shed.

post-22858-0-58155400-1522269517_thumb.jpg

And belated congratulations to Tony W on his much deserved accolade.

Dave Wisnia (Leeds)

• Like 17

Constructive criticism is always most welcome, John,

attachicon.gifMTK-built Cravens 02.jpg

You are, of course, quite right. That's why the MTK DMU we ran on Stoke Summit carried an appropriate tail lamp. 

Tony Geary built it, and it was months before he stopped twitching!

It's a shame the current RTR DMUs in green have such prominent lamps (at the front as well, which are like high-intensity headlamps). I've got two Bachmann DMUS on LB and would like to remove the lamp wires, but how do you get inside these things? I've tried, but all I get are ominous 'cracking' noises. One working is particularly annoying; where I attach two vans to the rear of the DMU. The last vehicle has a tail lamp, but those twin red lamps still glow!

Any ideas on how to remove the wires? 

Would it work to paint the lenses with Railmatch roof dirt or the equivalent?

Tone

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

Also Steve's own signals thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59687-semaphore-signals-4mm-scale-mainly/

Since this forum functions like an unusually well-mannered MRC, I thought I would ask if anyone has built the PDK J17 kit?  Is it one of those use the chimney and tender axleboxes but throw the other bits away kits or is it ok?

Tone

Martin Long

Martin,

I mentioned layouts which I've photographed in my list. 

Strictly-speaking, Fencehouses is not on the ECML and Barrie Walls' Wallsea isn't a prototype. 

I have pictures of Princes Street Gardens (in N), and Bert Collins' Hitchin was mentioned. 

Brian van Meeteren was a dear friend and mentor of mine. I owe him more than I can say, and his death some 14 years ago was a cause of great personal sadness. I never photographed his Kelston Road layout (featured in an MRC Annual in the eighties), though I did see the locos he'd built. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony, My signals will never be as exquisite as Steve Hewit's, but this was knocked up from brass rod and wire, and is operated by a MegaPoints Controller with optional bounce.

https://youtu.be/saBr22m-8kw

As for R-T-R DMUs, they all get stripped down to the bare bones when they enter the workshops... how can you do the model justice otherwise? That a great time to rip out all the nonsense and make it easier to customise.

Some good reading on here mostly  :onthequiet:

Since this forum functions like an unusually well-mannered MRC, I thought I would ask if anyone has built the PDK J17 kit?  Is it one of those use the chimney and tender axleboxes but throw the other bits away kits or is it ok?

Tone

Tone,

Though I haven't built the PDK J17, I have built (from memory) the firm's (or its predecessor Crownline's) A1/1, A2/1 and A2/2 (where I used the resin boilers), A2, A2/3 and A1 (where I didn't use the resin boilers - I'm not a fan of the stuff, though Graeme King does great things with it), plus two O2s, a B12/3, B16/1 and B16/2 (rebuilt it, actually). There are also umpteen Bulleids (both Pacifics and Q1s), and there could be others. 

They're excellent kits. 

Edited to add something....................

Edited by Tony Wright

Tony,

Was the other KX the N gauge one that featured in the model press a few years ago, the OO gauge loft based one which has a thread on RMWEB ("The Kings Cross Layout Mid 50's to Mid 60's") or is there another one that I don't know about?

Andy

Andy,

The other Kings Cross was built in N Gauge, by Paul Walker of Cirencester. It wasn't built in a loft, though. 

Tony. 

Hello Tony, My signals will never be as exquisite as Steve Hewit's, but this was knocked up from brass rod and wire, and is operated by a MegaPoints Controller with optional bounce.

https://youtu.be/saBr22m-8kw

As for R-T-R DMUs, they all get stripped down to the bare bones when they enter the workshops... how can you do the model justice otherwise? That a great time to rip out all the nonsense and make it easier to customise.

Some good reading on here mostly  :onthequiet:

Thanks Kier,

I feel a bit of a hypocrite using RTR diesel/DMU products, because I don't really use RTR steam-outline locos. It's just that I couldn't build anything to the same standard. 

I will, however, 'rip out all the nonsense' once I can get inside them. Oddly, they do fit in, because there were a couple of Peterborough-Lincoln DMU turns which used the main line as far as Barkston, calling at the wayside stations on the way. They didn't last long, because the stations didn't. 

I'm pleased that most of what you read on here is good. We do our best.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1