Hi Peter

Glue! Yuck!!

All soldered using Carrs 100 degree solder, Copalux paste flux and my Temp. Controlled iron set at 210 Degrees. The white metal does even out the balancing effect quite well, as it did on the previous build I did of the same kit.

Considering it is basically a white metal kit, it is well cast and the bits all fit with very little work.

Sandy

attachicon.gifP1060860_copy.jpg

That would look nice in my fleet.

Looks like a real gem sandy. Tell me, do you need to be more careful with handling completed W/M kits?

Hi Jack,

If you solder the white metal then there should really be no difference as  to how you handle a white metal kit, to a brass kit.

Having spent may hours, and a not inconsiderable amount of money on it, I trust you would handle it carefully anyway!

I have seen the results of 'glued together' models and even without rough handling, they generally start to fall apart after a short time. This is probably due to bad preparation of the white metal parts to begin with but even so, I would not consider glue for the major part of the build.

I have used glue for very small parts that will not be affected by mechanical stress. ie. fitting of whistles, back head components, etc.

Regards

Sandy

Edited by Sandy Harper
  • Like 1

Hi Peter

Glue! Yuck!!

All soldered using Carrs 100 degree solder, Copalux paste flux and my Temp. Controlled iron set at 210 Degrees. The white metal does even out the balancing effect quite well, as it did on the previous build I did of the same kit.

Considering it is basically a white metal kit, it is well cast and the bits all fit with very little work.

Sandy

attachicon.gifP1060860_copy.jpg

While I'm not a huge fan of the Southern, those Adams Radials are a very handsome loco, especially in that paint scheme...  Nice work.

(for the record, I also like N class moguls and Schools 4-4-0s...)

Now for the question:  Is the boiler white metal too, or its is rolled brass?

While I'm not a huge fan of the Southern, those Adams Radials are a very handsome loco, especially in that paint scheme...  Nice work.

(for the record, I also like N class moguls and Schools 4-4-0s...)

Now for the question:  Is the boiler white metal too, or its is rolled brass?

Hi Mike

The boiler is rolled brass and it comes correctly rolled and cutout to fit the motor. It also has all the holes in it for the boiler fittings and handrail knobs. The brass is quite thin and appears to be either very soft or annealed. It has a dull patina which will not take solder and the whole thing needs to be gone over with wet & dry to get a shiny surface to accept solder.

Kind regards

Sandy

• 2 months later...

I have completed the painting of the Adams Radial but have been awaiting the builder plates and brass raised numbers from Guilplates. They arrived today so they will be fitted next week and the final varnish applied.

In the meantime I have completed the major building part of another 'Earl' and she is now ready to head for the gritblaster followed by the paintshop. This particular version (Earl of Dartmouth) had plain rods and parallel buffer housings.

Hear are a few photographs of the build so far.

post-7733-0-57763100-1401467703_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-75451100-1401467711_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-04313800-1401467720_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-71665800-1401467721_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-60847200-1401467729_thumb.jpg

A quick look at the Adams paint job. The 'pink' buffer beam is only the undercoat!!

post-7733-0-46993000-1401467851_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

Edited by Sandy Harper
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fantastic. I am always tempted to go back in time to LSWR rather than SR.

I thought you might like it Peter. Is the football getting to you yet? We are getting sick of it here already!!!!!

Regards

Sandy (in a football free zone)

I live in a football free zone too. The country closes down when Brazil play. Lots of workers were sent home yesterday at 12:00 ready for the 17:00 kick off.

I am ok I get my own back, I have the test cricket on the radio 4 online when they are playing and the golf on sky.

As for the radial, I want I want I want!!!!!!!!!

I thought you might like it Peter. Is the football getting to you yet? We are getting sick of it here already!!!!!

Regards
Sandy (in a football free zone)

Hi, every time I see one of your Radial builds I wonder if one could be justified as a war loan to the HR.(I know they had a few)  The latest one in its LSWR livery is so handsome what a nice criesp build and finish.  I wonder how well the HR kept the war loan locos, there does not seem to be many photos of these engines in the far North. Regards, Malc.

Hi, every time I see one of your Radial builds I wonder if one could be justified as a war loan to the HR.(I know they had a few)  The latest one in its LSWR livery is so handsome what a nice criesp build and finish.  I wonder how well the HR kept the war loan locos, there does not seem to be many photos of these engines in the far North. Regards, Malc.

Thanks Malc. The threat of being 'shot at dawn' was probably enough for 'would be photographers' to keep their cameras well hidden!

Regards

Sandy

Only ever seen 2 images of the Radials in the Highlands. One recent published I think at Fortrose in BackTrack and the other in R D Stephen collection of LSWR Radial at Blair Atholl 8/21 with a NER Fletcher 0-4-4 in tow as they return South