Sandy, And that twist ...?

David

Still there David I'm afraid. I tried the time honored procedure of grabbing both buffer beams and trying to twist it straight but as it has both a boiler, and a saddle tank, soldered hard it wouldn't budge! The owner will have to live with it but at least it will now be able to hide in his engine shed out of sight! The only way to remove it would be by desoldering the whole of the boiler tank assembly and starting again, plus a complete strip down and repaint. I think an insurance assessor would declare it a write-off!!

Regards

Sandy

This is from the GOG Traders details directory

Regards

Sandy

Haywood Railway

Contact: Geoff Gill Phone: 01889 881610 Mobile Phone:   Fax:   Address: 29 Lichfield Drive     Post town: Great Haywood County: Staffordshire Country: United Kingdom Postcode: ST18 0SX Email: mailto:gp.gill@yahoo.co.uk

I was wondering the same, so thanks Sandy!  :good:

Regards, Deano.

Guest Isambarduk

Doesn't look quite so bad in that view, Sandy, but I do agree with Peter.  Somebody had to work quite hard to arrive at it that badly out of line.

Glad to see that you straightened that drunken headlamp :-)

David

Re: my offer, on another thread, of a unused (although assembled) Poppy's woodtech 7mm Axle/Bearing Alignment Jig for the price of the post and packing (£4).

I failed to make it clear that it was a 7mm version and the winner was a 4mm modeller! Some of the other members who responded were also 4mm modellers.

So, I have decided to offer it again, under the same terms. First member to PM with their name and address will win. Cheque only please.

Good luck

Sandy

Today I am converting the workshop into a spray both. Not enough room to accommodate both!

Here are the contestants for this latest episode

post-7733-0-32765700-1479723076_thumb.jpg

From the top: Patriot which has already been partly re painted and re-lined is in for a coat of varnish.

LMS D1701 will be completely painted and finished in Period III simple lining.

Midland 1327 class will be finished in full Midland regalia

GWR Totem in all over GWR wagon Grey

The Hudswell Clarke - Probably what ever colour I have left over! but it could be black.

The chassis will be Halfords Black undercoat. The front end of the Midland 4-4-0 chassis had to be rebuilt after I dropped it! I added dummy rods etc to help strengthen it.

Now where's my mask?

Sandy

• Like 4

You'll make life easier for yourself Sandy if you wipe the primer off the wheel treads while it's wet. I must try that Bodyshop Primer Black.

Tried that trick once Larry, and failed miserably! Ended up with more paint over my hands and finger smudges in the paint!!!! I now just run a length of masking tape around the treads.

The black primer is fairly new to Halfords and is quite a nice paint but they have used a different type of nozzle than the normal car spray cans which I don't like. You can have a thin vertical spray pattern or, by turning the nozzle around, a thin horizontal pattern. Probably ideal for large car panels but a bit wasteful for 7mm needs and even worse for the 4mm guys! And the can spray heads are not interchangeable with the original cone pattern version. Grrrrrr!

Regards

Sandy

Tried that trick once Larry, and failed miserably! Ended up with more paint over my hands and finger smudges in the paint!!!! I now just run a length of masking tape around the treads.

The black primer is fairly new to Halfords and is quite a nice paint but they have used a different type of nozzle than the normal car spray cans which I don't like. You can have a thin vertical spray pattern or, by turning the nozzle around, a thin horizontal pattern. Probably ideal for large car panels but a bit wasteful for 7mm needs and even worse for the 4mm guys! And the can spray heads are not interchangeable with the original cone pattern version. Grrrrrr!

Regards

Sandy

Good information Sandy re the new black paint and nozzles. If the black is tasty I will spray it into the spraygun.  

I transfer all my worn out small files to the sprayshop so I can spike things and hold them while they are being sprayed.  Then I use the file to run bogies to and fro on a fixed piece of card while I wipe the wheel treads with an old vest or teeshirt. 

Here is the D1701 with the main painting complete Halfords plastic bumper grey, Damask Red and Black undercoat

post-7733-0-36797100-1479912306_thumb.jpg

Probably my most least favourite job in railway modelling, masking up!

post-7733-0-39607300-1479912295_thumb.jpg

And finally,  the shunter was unlucky enough to be on hand when I had some maroon left over from the coach!

post-7733-0-76578500-1479912271_thumb.jpg

Regards

Sandy

• Like 7

A trick I've used is to take a cotton swab (or fine paint brush) and "paint" Vaseline on the treads before spraying.  After paint is dry, wiping the treads with a paper towel removes the Vaseline, and any paint that actually stuck to it.  No worry about paint seeping under the tape...

• Like 2