What DCC system do you use for your 7mm layout?

edin_bry2x

Hi everyone,

Starting to look at a design for my 7mm layout but i would like to use DCC, i understand that a few of you out their use DCC and i just wondered what systems you are using and what sort of pros and cons there are to each system.

The layout will be no longer than 24ft and not particularly track heavy with 2/3 locos drawing power at any time. Im just looking to draw on your experience with DCC.

Kind Regards

Bry

Hi everyone,

Starting to look at a design for my 7mm layout but i would like to use DCC, i understand that a few of you out their use DCC and i just wondered what systems you are using and what sort of pros and cons there are to each system.

Bry

I use a Lenz 5 amp system which I have had a long time. It's been very reliable. I have an LZ100 and LV200 combination, which is no longer available having been superceded by improved versions. The only parts I have had to replace were the handsets (LH100s) which after ten years or so started to get dodgy button disease.

However, providing the system has enough current capability (amps!) I would choose by the style of handset. Find the handsets you prefer (you will be looking at them and holding them a lot!) and buy that system.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Like Chaz I use the Lens system however I purchased both LH100 and LH90 handsets. The LH100 is button orientated whilst the LH90 has a large knob for speed control. If you are used to model railway controllers the knob type may be more intuitive.

If you use quality motors such as ABC the current demand is low however if you use Heljan or some older 0 gauge motors current demands will be higher.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I have both Lenz (LZV 100 with LH 90 and 100) and NCE.

Very happy with both but NCE required a booster (obtained from Digitrains following a chat at a show) to allow my Heljan Hymek with sound to function. NCE is my preference for a small layout.

Chris

Like Chaz I use the Lens system however I purchased both LH100 and LH90 handsets. The LH100 is button orientated whilst the LH90 has a large knob for speed control. If you are used to model railway controllers the knob type may be more intuitive.

If you use quality motors such as ABC the current demand is low however if you use Heljan or some older 0 gauge motors current demands will be higher.

Don

I agree Don, that the LH90 is nice to use to drive locos but it's quite clunky to use with sound, as it only has four function buttons. You soon get tired of pressing a chain of buttons to get sound effects numbered F5 and above.

Chaz

Hi Bry,

I am also on the verge of buying a DCC system and from all the homework I have done I will be going for the tried and tested Lenz product, and with the Touch Cab app that means you can control your locos with your iphone ie :- cordless control has won me over.

ATB,

Martyn.

I use a Bachmann E-Z Command - but it is narrow gauge and there is not room to have more than five trains running.

You really need to try a few and see which system you feel comfortable with because pretty much any system can have a booster added if you need more current. the most important feature you will probably need is to be able to use 126-step speed mode to get good fine control so that should not restrict your choice.

Hi Bry,

I have used Lenz for over 10 years on three different layouts. LZV100 with LH90s and LH100s.

It is not the cheapest, but it works utterly reliably. I use chips from all sorts of manufacturers with no problems.

I also use a Lenz L1-USB computer interface to a laptop with JMRI software and that allows mobile devices (phones, pods and pads) to act as throttles via an app called Withrottle (or Engine driver for Android devices).

I have used NCE and Digitrax on other peoples systems and I have nothing against them.

I would avoid the entry level stuff with Hornby and Bachmann labels and I would avoid ZTC.

Just personal experience and opinion.

Best wishes,

John

I'm usually in the minority - Om gauge anyone ? - but I use a Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 for 'Winterschlaf'.

Gaugemaster are very good with after-sales service if things go wrong although the only problem - forgetting to allocate differing numbers to the three handsets - was, as usual, down to the 'nut on the keyboard' :senile:

Edited for spelling....

Hi, I also use the prodigy and find it very easy to use and programme with. I had mine upgraded for free with the purchase of the wireless handset and really like using it, the 3.5 amp will run Heljans with no problems and I have had three scratch built locos running at once but found it to difficult to main tain control of them all and one went through a set of buffer stops with no hesitation!

I would also comfirm the best of service from Gaugemaster, especially the tech boys for very good advice and doing the upgrade. I also have the USB interface for use with the computer but only use this for recording the chip settings, extremly useful went you do something wrong with a CV and can't remember what it was set at! The usb also allows you to use a throtle on the computer but is not very good.

regards

mike g

I really rate the NCE PowerCab I've been using since I started using DCC two OO guage and one N gauge layout ago. Following my decision to upscale to O gauge I had a long chat with Digitrains (who sold me the PowerCab in the first place) who advised that the handset I've got will be fine but that I would need to upgrade it's output. They offered me two options, NCE's smart booster at £111 and a few pence, or a 4.5 Amp dumb booster board for £44. I specificallly raised the spectre of twin-motored Heljan locos and was assured that the dumb-booster would cope just fine so that's what I've ordered.

I somehow doubt there is a perfect DCC system... I guess it'll come down to personal preference and what ancillaries you want to add? Wireless handsets? The ability to programme and control everything from your laptop? The possibilities ...and the opportunities to spend boat-loads of dosh to achieve them seem endless.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Im using the gauge master prodigy 3 wireless controller. Its easy to use and the wireless feature is superb. I do still prefer the ZTC for drive but it is out dated and cant compete with the wireless capability of the gaugemaster, which is great if your trouble shooting and want to be right next to the loco when its moving.

It handles sound engines fine, ive had three sound engines all running at the same time.

I use the Gaugemaster Prodigy system. Simple, robust and good after-care. It handles the big Heljan diesel beasties well, as well as my small Ixion Hudswell Clarke, Tower/Bachmann brass RTR locos and my kit-built locos.

Chris Klein

Bry

I could be in the minority here but I use a ZTC 511 on a garden layout. The 5 amp transformer provides plenty of power but for security I added a booster unit last year and split the layout into two power zones. Have been running with ZTC for 6 years and never had any problems. Run a whole variety of stock including Heljan sound fitted diesels and never had any problem with power even running 3 simultaneously! Run all the turnouts through DCC control but don't use ZTC accessory decoders having discovered the accessory decoders made by CLM Electronics which allow for push button manual control. There are 26 turnouts operated by Cobalt motors.

It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day but I like the chunky feel of the 511. Any system has its specific quirks but once you understand them it all adds to the enjoyment. Using a variety of chips in the locos including, ZTC, TCS, Lenz and ESU and not had any problems. Will agree that the system could seem outdated to some as there are only 10 function buttons which is sometimes not enough with a modern sound decoder but it works great for me.

Regards

Bry

I could be in the minority here but I use a ZTC 511 on a garden layout. The 5 amp transformer provides plenty of power but for security I added a booster unit last year and split the layout into two power zones. Have been running with ZTC for 6 years and never had any problems. Run a whole variety of stock including Heljan sound fitted diesels and never had any problem with power even running 3 simultaneously! Run all the turnouts through DCC control but don't use ZTC accessory decoders having discovered the accessory decoders made by CLM Electronics which allow for push button manual control. There are 26 turnouts operated by Cobalt motors.

It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day but I like the chunky feel of the 511. Any system has its specific quirks but once you understand them it all adds to the enjoyment. Using a variety of chips in the locos including, ZTC, TCS, Lenz and ESU and not had any problems. Will agree that the system could seem outdated to some as there are only 10 function buttons which is sometimes not enough with a modern sound decoder but it works great for me.

Regards

Nice to see some positive opinions about the ZTC system. It has had a "bad press" with much criticism, some backed by experience. It is good to see the balance restored a little.

DCC is one of those aspects of the hobby where many people hold strong views and are not slow to express them. It's not always easy to steer a way to the truth.

Chaz

Hi Bry,

I am also on the verge of buying a DCC system and from all the homework I have done I will be going for the tried and tested Lenz product, and with the Touch Cab app that means you can control your locos with your iphone ie :- cordless control has won me over.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

The Touchcab looks quite nice but I'd also like to see a scroll through dial (like the dials that come up for setting up the router for the various options or like Roco's Z21 (sadly no good for O gauge) Are there any cab apps where you can add pictures of your locos in the reference library rather than naming them?

Cheers

Tom

Archived