Nice pics Mike, its good to that not all Lunesters are couch potatoes, just Jeff and my self.

The hillside looks impressive and once stone walled it will be unmistakeable as Dent.

What will you use to represent the water in Monkey Beck?

Hi all,

Sorry had to edit last post as I had no captions to the photos below!

post-5296-0-09558900-1398623181.jpg

This view shows the first layer of Mod-Roc added to the well fettled 'Fell' The platform has also been cut to suit this board (A) as it can not be removed once the Fell is formed up to it.

post-5296-0-90643800-1398623189.jpg

View showing 'Monkey Beck' dropping down through the landscape to reach Bridge No.96. I placed a small train jus to give a sense of perspective in the following photos.

post-5296-0-61792900-1398623198.jpg

Bit of an unusual angle showing the view from the nearside of the 'Coal Road' bridge.

post-5296-0-01566000-1398623206.jpg

View through the 'Coal Road' bridge showing part of the station area.

post-5296-0-41711900-1398623213.jpg

Southbound shot!

post-5296-0-70439300-1398623221.jpg

General Northbound shot.

I thinks it looks about right, if its not it ain't coming up anyway!

Again it will probably be the weekend before any more photos, just too hectic I'm afraid.

• Like 10

Nice pics Mike, its good to that not all Lunesters are couch potatoes, just Jeff and my self.

The hillside looks impressive and once stone walled it will be unmistakeable as Dent.

What will you use to represent the water in Monkey Beck?

Hi Andy,

Cheers mate, I do sympathise with your predicament but hopefully all will sort itself very soon.

My friend Allan who has a layout called 'Melwood' used one of those 'magic water' type products and his turned out really good, if fact it looked that good several people were dipping their fingers in it at the Wallasey show a few weeks ago, (he was getting a bit miffed about it in the end) so to answer your question I'll probably use the same but I don't actually know the exact brand but will find out.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.  Great to meet up with you, again, yesterday, and thanks for reminding us about Dent.  This is coming on a treat.  You'll soon be looking back in amazement at all these 'early' pics of empty and bare board and white stuff.  Have you used Sculptamould on top of the insulation material? If not, have a look at Camel Quay at some of the things Ray has done with it.  Again lightweight, very versatile, easy to use and, from my perspective, seems to take paint (I generally use acrylics) and PVA glue for the scenic stuff.

Polly

PS My silly side may come later.   :O  :senile:  :no: :no: :no:  [Those should keep the Bodgit off my case  :D  ]

• Like 4

Hi Mike.  Great to meet up with you, again, yesterday, and thanks for reminding us about Dent.  This is coming on a treat.  You'll soon be looking back in amazement at all these 'early' pics of empty and bare board and white stuff.  Have you used Sculptamould on top of the insulation material? If not, have a look at Camel Quay at some of the things Ray has done with it.  Again lightweight, very versatile, easy to use and, from my perspective, seems to take paint (I generally use acrylics) and PVA glue for the scenic stuff.

Polly

PS My silly side may come later.   :O  :senile:  :no: :no: :no:  [Those should keep the Bodgit off my case  :D  ]

I didn't know you had a NONE silly side, just shows dun it gall :boast: :boast: :boast:

Hi Polly,

Just had a browse through Camel Quay to see the 'Sculptamould' you mentioned, it looks a really good product. Is it a two part system or do you just add water?

I have a barrel  -  yes a barrel of casting plaster which needs to be used before it goes off, its a two part system but is easily broken if too thin. I don't think there is much in the way of rocky outcrops around Dent but would love to give the Sculptamould a try, where can you get it?

• RMweb Premium

Mike. We got ours from NGTrains.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Scenic/sculptamold.htm

No problem of it going off in the bag like plaster does, just keep it in a sealed container and it seems to last for ever.

Just mix with a touch of water, spread over foundation and sculpt with clay modelling tools or similar.  You can even feather it down to nothing as it seems to have a fibrous filler to maintain strength. It has a working life of about 15 minutes. You can carve or sand it when dry if need be. A 3lb bag goes a long way.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

You have captured the feel of the fells very well Mike even at the plaster bandage stage. The open frame construction is the way to go!

We used sculpta mold on Goathland which was used to smooth out all the modrock bandage over the entire layout and I still have 2/3s of the bag left!

I also remember paying $4 a bag at the local craft store, so go check them out (if there is one in your area) before paying 11.50. The craft stores always have a bargain bin of acrylic paint, usually the slow moving colours. I found sandstone and brick red in there for 50 cents a go!  

Regards Shaun.

You have captured the feel of the fells very well Mike even at the plaster bandage stage. The open frame construction is the way to go!

We used sculpta mold on Goathland which was used to smooth out all the modrock bandage over the entire layout and I still have 2/3s of the bag left!

I also remember paying $4 a bag at the local craft store, so go check them out (if there is one in your area) before paying 11.50. The craft stores always have a bargain bin of acrylic paint, usually the slow moving colours. I found sandstone and brick red in there for 50 cents a go!  

Regards Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

Do you know I can't remember the last time I was in a craft store, I never give them a thought to be honest. Problem is, over here all the small shops are disappearing fast to be taken over by large multi-nationals and such, so the old towns don't have those outlets anymore, you can go to a retail park and find something like 'Hobbycraft' but you generally need a small mortgage to buy anything. I thinks there is still one in Liverpool so I may get over to have a look, thanks for the prompt!

Hi all,

Have been busy most of the week putting on the second layer of ModRoc followed by a liberal coat of earthy colour which helps to both define the landscape and prevent the white showing through when I manage to drop something on it!

Also made a patented mix of platform gravel and have applied two layers to the 'Up' platform which I thinks looks pretty good.

Have a look at the photos and let me know what you think please. I'm pretty confident that the platform look like gravel in photo's I have from the 1950's-1960's so here's hoping!

post-5296-0-55285700-1399227809.jpg

General northbound overall view

post-5296-0-34939500-1399227817.jpg

Platform close-up

post-5296-0-71917400-1399227825.jpg

Station approach view

post-5296-0-39350200-1399227837.jpg

Monkey Beck view

I also spent today re-wiring both single slips as I was suffering electrical gremlins. I removed all the wiring and decided to rewire all sides independently which seems to have solved whatever issues there were (I know not what!) I think I was trying to be too clever and had attempted to set-up some route selection which obviously backfired so it was back to basics for me.

Probably having a day off tomorrow depending on the weather I may just go out to the East Lanc's Rly for the day, I need a FIX!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

The colour certainly makes a difference.

What is your recipe for station gravel?  My next layout, if I ever build it, will need some gravel on it. 

• RMweb Premium

My eyes must be getting woerse! will go out and try again.....

They can't be that bad - you're managing to create a very satisfying representation of Dent with the aforementioned orbs, Mike....

What's particularly good, from my point of view, is the way the foam block landscaping has worked. I like it.

Jeff

OK Guys,

Eyes obviously on the blink from looking at wires for hours, so as Jeff has asked for MORE here are a few for your delectation!

To start with here is the reason for the blurred vision...

post-5296-0-67198700-1399233338.jpg

Control panel interior

post-5296-0-62099100-1399233347.jpg

Control panel rear cable output

Not much comment to add to the general views so just have a look....

post-5296-0-50776600-1399233259.jpg

post-5296-0-07904200-1399233277.jpg

post-5296-0-31143400-1399233290.jpg

post-5296-0-55903700-1399233305.jpg

post-5296-0-84300300-1399233313.jpg

post-5296-0-91009300-1399233320.jpg

post-5296-0-23163900-1399233329.jpg

Happy viewing!!

• Like 12

Mike,

The colour certainly makes a difference.

What is your recipe for station gravel?  My next layout, if I ever build it, will need some gravel on it. 

Hi Chris,

Its a bit of a concoction I'm afraid. I know 'almost' exactly what's in it, trouble is two ingredients are brown and black 'grit' made by JOTUN for applying to stair treads as part of an anti-slip formulae. These together with Geoscenics ballast and fine ash plus a sand coloured ballast (make unknown) and proper real ash from my wood burner! All are of equal parts other than my fire ah which is two parts, and that's it!

Not much help I know, sorry.

• RMweb Premium

Mike, the last batch of photos deserves more than one like from me. The views between the platforms are stunning and the "looking back" photos over the bridge are fantastic.

It would seem that some of us have a VERY high standard to live up to!

Magic.

Jeff

Mike, the last batch of photos deserves more than one like from me. The views between the platforms are stunning and the "looking back" photos over the bridge are fantastic.

It would seem that some of us have a VERY high standard to live up to!

Magic.

Jeff

And Jeff, I hope your taking note of the wiring we expect from KL2 and beyond. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

They can't be that bad - you're managing to create a very satisfying representation of Dent with the aforementioned orbs, Mike....

What's particularly good, from my point of view, is the way the foam block landscaping has worked. I like it.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You know me by now, nothing too HEAVY!

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

DON'T MENTION THE WIRING :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono: I can't take anymore, well not tonight anyway.  Cheers mate.

Good luck with Swad Lane. Can I use the 'Lindcote' half for my next project? Oh NO, I forgot this is My last great project, discipline Michael, discipline :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Hi Andy,

DON'T MENTION THE WIRING :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono: I can't take anymore, well not tonight anyway.  Cheers mate.

Good luck with Swad Lane. Can I use the 'Lindcote' half for my next project? Oh NO, I forgot this is My last great project, discipline Michael, discipline :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Will it join Bermuda Road?

DCC and just TWO WIRES.