FREIGHTLINER (PETERBOROUGH)

Crisis Rail

Those of a nervous disposition to TMD need read no further.

post-7252-0-86515600-1353156271.jpg

This is the second Servicing Shed I have acquired - the first was so poor in quality it went straight on eBay - had a look at this one pre purchase a while back with a view to respraying it and was pleasantly surprised by the improved quality especially the brickwork - maybe better QC over in China?

Just not got round to doing anything with it through partial loss of interest mainly in scratch building and too many domestic distractions.

For me 44-126 IS Peterborough and nothing else - so it always seems odd to see it on layouts not based on Peterborough.....!

So what if FREIGHTLINER had a presence?

post-7252-0-46584500-1353155549.jpg

I have disposed of all powered rolling stock as a clean start and to raise funds except for the CFPS 40145 which is display only - any offer of cheap unweathered Baccy FLINER 57's will be most welcome :)

This will be an interest over the next few months as the garage is again nearing OOBness - still waiting for Scenecraft items for the planned project in there so that will be about 2015.....

Ian

Plenty of good reference on the web regards Peterborough - but any more information and local knowledge will be welcome - does the shed have an internal inspection pit or just concrete?

Sourcing these by Viessmann - nearly £10 a go! - 1:87 scale - can't resist it for the side floods

post-7252-0-51855800-1353162907.png

LEDS for the lights over the fuelling rig - or drilled out for grain of wheat bulbs.

Ian

So if the shed can only shout Peterborough , and Peterborough was EWS/ DBS , why is this FL ??

Intrigued !

It's a "what if" - hypothetical - as mentioned at the start of the thread.

I like the idea of a stabled collection of FLINER 57's and the excuse to roster a Fugly.

I have no geological knowledge of Cambridgeshire regarding Intermodal operation unlike Freightliners SP at Ipswich serves the ports.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris

You can't get closer than that....

Found an image showing the inspection pit - the PECO one will be fine with C&L track - I assume it is compatible - and one for the external hardstanding but covered over.

Ian

Hi Ian

The Peco inspection pit is fine for steam locos. It is about a scale 2 ft 6 ins deep which places the driver at the right height for oiling up his inside valve gear or the fireman so he can rake out the ashpan. The poor diesel fitter trying to replace the brushes on a traction motor would be is a semi croutched poisition that would be too uncomfortable to work in. Diesel pits are usally 4 feet below rail height so that the fitter is standing and is at the right height to reach the various undergubbins with ease.

Yours

Clive

Thanks for the information Clive. By compatibility I meant sleeper height to the base of the inspection pit. I wasn't aware of the different depths for steam and diesel but I am not particularly bothered as the pit is hidden in the shed (well a bit):)

A nice 44-126 in all it's glory on the baseboard - of which was intended for something else I can't remember which was started and binned as per usual.

Deeper base to accommodate all the electrics and light power sources.

post-7252-0-92970800-1353326755_thumb.jpg

Too narrow at present - will be widened to approx 12"

post-7252-0-23105600-1353326865_thumb.jpg

post-7252-0-08688800-1353326781_thumb.jpg

post-7252-0-24085300-1353326812_thumb.jpg

Naming experimentation mockups - in a gloomy conservatory on this wet November Monday morning doesn't help the Blackberry shots - apologies for quality - and the poor quality of the modelling for that matter..... :)

EWS one as per original at Peterborough - interchangeable maybe?

Ian

post-7252-0-78720500-1353327461_thumb.jpg

there is a pit inside peterborough shed. and freightliner have a 'depot' here aswell, its called freightliner nene valley depot and its on platform 3 at peterborough.

Dan

Thanks - What purpose does it serve? fuelling - exams? - hang on! - i'll have a Google later....

Ian

no, its basically a signing on point and mess room. when i worked in the west yard at peterborough there was a plan. which got to the surveying stage, of removing some sidings in the yard at peterborough and building a concrete pad and gantry crane, for a planned Ikea train that would run to peterborough and have the containters shipped up the road to the ikea warehouse. unfortuatly Ikea pulled out and they are now moving away from peterborough. peterborough isnt really situated in a container 'hub' and services pass through. DRS might be a better bet for a shed at peterborough as they are stabled on the real shed from time to time on test trains.

Thanks Dan for your first hand experience - always tricky representing something from afar and must be comical having local knowledge when someone like myself comes along and twists it for hypothetical benefit - I would feel the same about Preston or Lancaster being an Intermodal hub because it isn't and never will be - in fact the idea is plain bonkers.

As regards Freightliner - the Baccy 47 models can be picked up reasonably - £40 and are in various names and numbers DCC fitted and sound - and a good few stabled about the Scenecraft Depot would be interesting similar to Ipswich.

Ian

Archived