5813 whistle guard

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm if 5813 was fitted with whistle guards in the late 40s

Have the knife ready to chop it off, but the photos I am working from are not 100% clear

Have the rest of the body detailed up ready for paint, with this the last detail to sort

The painting does however have to wait for the spring...

Can anyone confirm if 5813 was fitted with whistle guards in the late 40s

Have the knife ready to chop it off, but the photos I am working from are not 100% clear

Have the rest of the body detailed up ready for paint, with this the last detail to sort

The painting does however have to wait for the spring...

I just looked thro' Peto 14xx book and can find only two pictures of 5800 class. These are 5800 with top feed and whistle shield on 31 October 1954, and 5805 without top feed but with whistle shield on 18 February 1955. Your 5813 was a Neath engine from 9/3/37 to 18/6/42 at least. By 11/42 it had moved to Reading - Henley on Thames area until 12/45. From 3/46 to 3/9/48 it worked from Yatton. From then until 23/4/56 it is listed as Bath Road. In its last years (1957) it was at St. Philips Marsh, Leamington and Swindon Pool before being cut up there on 25/1/58.

All I can find is a 1955 shot recently on ebay with whistle shield. Interesting it still had GWR livery that late only two years before scrapping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Ex-GWR-0-4-2T-No-5813-at-Bristol-1955-/221138644247?nma=true&si=oor82ZvqycQk8ztXOIXOp80Ri0Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

All I can find is a 1955 shot recently on ebay with whistle shield. Interesting it still had GWR livery that late only two years before scrapping.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Mike Wiltshire

Fantastic, very useful photo in that it clearly shows the livery (my working photo from 1949 from one of the Cheddar books, you cant see which livery it is in)

The RCTS volume gives no specific dates but says that all except perhaps 5814 acquired the whistle shields at some time. It also mentions that the last fifteen 48XX were built with a short shield and these may have appeared later on others following boilers changes. However, I've not seen any post-war or BR era photos without the long shield, and no 58XX with the short version. If we can assume that Mike's ebay photo suggests that 5813 had not had a major overhaul since late GWR days, then it seems likely that it had the whistle shield from somewhere around 1947, if not earlier.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived