Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

...careful John once those Blackgill boys get you hooked there is no escape...and I've heard a rumor there may be the early signs of disesalation creeping into the running order...

I know, I've been behind the scenes a few times for a look but it might be time to 'pop my cherry' at the controls :)  I'm all for the diesels...

John

• 3 months later...

Ah ha. The almost complete restoration of the RTR J39 by RMwebs shyest member makes an appearance. Quite a lot of detail added, replacement cab and the backhead among other things still to complete.

Originally available as a ready to run model, the factory that produced it was overlooked from the Tyne Dock Consett line.

Anyone want to take a guess at the manufacturer? No prizes, just a bit of fun.

Here's a front view.

post-508-0-03886400-1457026375_thumb.jpg

I've posted these images in Mr Wrights thread but guess they are a little more appropriate here so for the second time today,

Tony Lamberts excellent phot of a Sulzer Two on the Iron Ore fulls at Washington South Junction.

25074494609_b9d21d5689_b.jpgSulzer Type 2 by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

and the inter-connecting pipework between the ore hoppers taken on the Consett unloading gantry.

25446362086_6a6da41867_c.jpg56ton Iron Ore hopper couplings by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

...and finally Mr Arp "working" on the layout. What is it with the yoof of today that possesses them to grow a beard? Especially that colour or was it just the draw of exhibiting in Scotland. It's not as if you work in a submarine. Invest in a razor young man.

post-508-0-66209200-1457031717.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 16

Ah ha. The almost complete restoration of the RTR J39 by RMwebs shyest member makes an appearance. Quite a lot of detail added, replacement cab and the backhead among other things still to complete.

Originally available as a ready to run model, the factory that produced it was overlooked from the Tyne Dock Consett line.

Anyone want to take a guess at the manufacturer? No prizes, just a bit of fun.

Here's a front view.

attachicon.gifBgill-MRS-2106-43-EditSm.jpg

Is it Micro-Metalsmiths, they made one ?

Is it Micro-Metalsmiths, they made one ?

Give that man an onion.

Owen ,

I should have said you weren't allowed to enter as you possess insider information.  :wink_mini:

Micro-Metalsmiths it is.

Mr. Rick hasn't done a bad job on it eh?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Jon,

if you check out pictures taken during the initial change over period, the four class 25's, the 24/1 and 24's that were converted during 1966 only had the air pipes at the number one end. Early diesel operations always had the number two end leading with the locos still being turned at Tyne Dock just like the 9Fs.

P

I'm going to ignore the comment about my beard, Porcy. It's purely for practical reasons, dontchaknow.

Where do you reckon this photo is taken in Washington? On the line leading away from the junction towards Biddick Lane? If so, that would probably make those green things on the right piles of timber sheeted over in Calder's yard. Those hopper type structures are probably what's visible in the first photo on this page: http://www.washington.co.uk/ot.htm. The buildings on the left are probably Cook's foundry, in the ruins of which I found an old mine tub wheel (which they used to produce) when I was a kid, which still resides under my dad's car port. I'd also like to know what the long line of 21t hoppers is doing in the siding to the right. Maybe waiting to go up to Glebe and the 'F' Pit?

Arp

Tony Lamberts excellent phot of a Sulzer Two on the Iron Ore fulls at Washington South Junction.

25074494609_b9d21d5689_b.jpgSulzer Type 2 by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

• Like 1

I'm going to ignore the comment about my beard, Porcy. It's purely for practical reasons, dontchaknow.

Where do you reckon this photo is taken in Washington? On the line leading away from the junction towards Biddick Lane? If so, that would probably make those green things on the right piles of timber sheeted over in Calder's yard. Those hopper type structures are probably what's visible in the first photo on this page: http://www.washington.co.uk/ot.htm

An excellent deduction my dear Watsup. If you look carefully you can see the single slotted signal post with two pegs controlling up and down lines. Confirmation  (As if you should need such a thing!) can be substantiated by checking this phot taken some 14 years later looking in the opposite direction:

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?serial=1434&img=G-249-36

I've only ever seen one photograph of Calders steam crane that worked their internal network. That was inevitably taken by the late Mr Carr. (I S not J) I suppose the rarity of images taken around there was down to the limited access.

I'd also like to know what the long line of 21t hoppers is doing in the siding to the right. Maybe waiting to go up to Glebe and the 'F' Pit?

A few possibilities.

They could be waiting to go back up into the exchange sidings for the Glebe and F pits but I'm not sure if there was direct access from that loop? That would have meant drawing forward, probably across Biddick Lane crossing and then a cross over and a lengthy setting back. I would have thought it easier to use the other (disused by the look of the track) loop, But as BR locos were working up to the Glebe the exchange sidings may well have been out of use by then. As we know anything was possible. What we need to do is find a BR guard who worked the area at that time.

A piccy of the site of the Glebe/F pit exchange sidings:

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?serial=1434&img=G-246-25

Possiblity 2.

They are part of a class J or K freight that has been looped to allow the "faster" Iron Ores to pass?

Possiblity 3.

It's early September so the demand for household coal is still very low. Even as late as 1966 thousands of mineral wagons had to be put into temporary store during the summer and brought back into use during the peak coal usage period during winter. They could simply be in storage.

Can anyone offer up any different solutions?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

An excellent deduction my dear Watsup. If you look carefully you can see the single slotted signal post with two pegs controlling up and down lines. Confirmation  (As if you should need such a thing!) can be substantiated by checking this phot taken some 14 years later looking in the opposite direction:

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?serial=1434&img=G-249-36

I've only ever seen one photograph of Calders steam crane that worked their internal network. That was inevitably taken by the late Mr Carr. (I S not J) I suppose the rarity of images taken around there was down to the limited access.

A few possibilities.

They could be waiting to go back up into the exchange sidings for the Glebe and F pits but I'm not sure if there was direct access from that loop? That would have meant drawing forward, probably across Biddick Lane crossing and then a cross over and a lengthy setting back. I would have thought it easier to use the other (disused by the look of the track) loop, But as BR locos were working up to the Glebe the exchange sidings may well have been out of use by then. As we know anything was possible. What we need to do is find a BR guard who worked the area at that time.

A piccy of the site of the Glebe/F pit exchange sidings:

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?serial=1434&img=G-246-25

Possiblity 2.

They are part of a class J or K freight that has been looped to allow the "faster" Iron Ores to pass?

Possiblity 3.

It's early September so the demand for household coal is still very low. Even as late as 1966 thousands of mineral wagons had to be put into temporary store during the summer and brought back into use during the peak coal usage period during winter. They could simply be in storage.

Can anyone offer up any different solutions?

P

I've got the signalbox diagram from Washington South in a tube at home. I could have a look at the access from that siding on there. It would be interesting to know what those three ground shunt signals in your second photo are for...

Glad you enjoyed seeing the layout at Glasgow, Mike.

Arp

I've got the signalbox diagram from Washington South in a tube at home. I could have a look at the access from that siding on there. It would be interesting to know what those three ground shunt signals in your second photo are for...

Be interesting to see the signal box diagram. Let me know what year it is. Old-maps.co.uk is very poor for maps of the junction as the dates for 1:1250 series are all screwed up. Alans 1910 diagram is a bit too early for our needs.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/21759747

I suspect that the three ground signals may have had something to do with the reversals of the Redcar>Consett>Redcar iron ore workings. They were still going in Sept 1980 when the pic from the DMU was taken. The loops toward Biddick Lane would have been long gone by then. Probably lifted when the line was first closed in the 1960's.

P

Mr Lambert has posted another interesting phot of operations on the unloading gantry at Consett.

25354078842_5c494dfbdf_c.jpgTyne Dock Consett Ore Wagon doors by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

An Interesting view when viewed in conjunction with page 10 of the operations manual.

post-508-0-14977700-1457187304.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I've got the signalbox diagram from Washington South in a tube at home.

Mr Axlebox has just called at Straight Tail Towers to have a rummage through what is laughingly called my Map Cabinet. Turned up this from 1972. The loops are out, as are the connections to Calders and Cooks but the entrance gate boundaries are still clearly defined.

Not long after this was re-surveyed that that Peanut Farmer turned up with the funny accent.

post-508-0-98659800-1457196882_thumb.jpg

Will post a map of the general area later.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Ta for the map, Porcy. I've had a look at my diagram for Washington South and the line those hoppers are standing on is the 'Up Independent' (with the rusting line on the left being known, intriguingly, as the 'Tavern Siding'). There is a dolly on the bracket signal at the east end of the Up Independent though, suggesting it could be worked both ways, but there's no access to the branch to Glebe and 'F' Pit collieries. There are also a number of sidings marked on my diagram for Cook's Ironworks which seem to be lifted by the 1970s (as I guess Cook's was closed by then).

If you want to see a video of the iron ore hopper doors in operation (and have a ride in the brakevan of a train up from Tyne Dock to Consett) then it's worth watching the 1967 film 'Consett Steel' on the BFI Player (footage of the trains from about 9 minutes onwards):

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-consett-steel-1967/

Arp

• Like 1

...nice Pulverite wagon at 9.40.

What do you reckon? Black livery or the later ice blue?

It's got me scratching my head now as to when the Pulverite works lost its rail connection. I was told Davy Roll used Pulverite. That'll do nicely for confirmation.

I suppose I should get on building the wagons.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane