Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

This is one layout that that exudes perfection. Ok, I've not seen it in the flesh but .....well...I don't know where to start. That station building is probably the best station building I've ever seen; understated and undeniably real. Trackwork? Signalling?, sublime!. I keep coming back to these pictures and noticing new fine detail I'd missed before and saying that, the scenes don't come over as cluttered; quite the opposite. Those coal drops...magic.

I don't know a lot about this area but this layout is enough to stimulate my interest.

Andy

• Like 1

Arpster, as Dave says, don't feel put out by the operating problems this weekend. The layout enthralled a steady crowd throughout the time I was at the show, and the level and quality of detail took some time to soak in. To the point I think more trains might have been a distraction!

Wonderful, and hope to see it again sometime.

• RMweb Premium

Well, the moment has arrived. I've spent the last two weeks frantically building a pub to fill the last vacant plot on the layout whilst my dad has been mending points, building wagons, cleaning wheels and getting busy with the Dustbuster. Blackgill's first trip out of its home is about to get underway in the pouring rain of the North East summer. I'll use the opportunity of it being away from the confines of the loft to take some photos this weekend during the inevitable madness of trying to work out how to run the thing over a prolonged timetable! I hope the spectators will forgive us a few slip-ups.

Please pop by to say hello if you're attending the show. I'm sure these occasions are meant to be fun and sociable rather than nerve-racking and stressful!

All the best,

Arp

Visited the Show on Saturday and for me it was the best layout in the Show. Great work.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm really glad that you enjoyed seeing Blackgill in the flesh and that all the hard work in the build-up to the show was worthwhile. I know my dad put in a lot of graft over the last few months, building trestles, finishing a myriad of items of rolling stock, fashioning a facade and lighting set-up. So much was left to do that the actual art of operating the layout took a bit of a back seat!

Those at Railex NE might have noticed that the running of trains was a haphazard affair but we'd got the knack of it by Sunday when the shed yard was behaving itself in the cooler climes and a lot of brave shunting was done! Two days of continuous running certainly highlighted a lot of problems; the whole of the east end of the layout will be rebuilt in due course, taking the complicated pointwork out of the tunnel and into the open, various electrics will be redesigned and a working timetable figured out. But some things did work seamlessly; the colliery siding were fairly well-behaved, the unloading of coal wagons under the coaling stage worked fine, the ore train coped ok with its banking (once we'd worked out the best pairings of engines!).

Next time out my dad might have the hidden sidings at the back of the layout operating, the crossing gates will be fixed, there'll be figures on there and the rolling stock will be finished. After a lot of persuading the old man has agreed to take Blackgill to Scaleforum. Not next year, but in 2013, when everything will hopefully be honed to perfection and he'll feel relaxed and happy with his layout.

I'm glad that the journey that started with my surreptitiously posting photos on RMWeb ended with a relatively successful first outing and some pleasure for the many spectators who stopped by to watch Blackgill for various periods of time. Thank you from me and my dad. Here's to the next time!

All the best,

Arp

Arp

despite the issues that you undoubtedly experienced on the Saturday while we were there, it was still the best layout by a clear mile. The attention to detail fantastic and Beamish tunnel abutments, signal box, Shield Row station etc were clearly recognisable. The look of that Tyne Dock-Consett line was well and truly captured.

We were at the exhibition for just gone five hours and only managed to get a brief word with you at 5 pm as things were closing up. Your father seemed genuinely surprised that everyone thought that that it was so good!!

We're both looking forward to seeing it again.

Phil

Somewhat belately may I add my congratulations to Eddie on a superb layout which really captured the spirit of the line. Don't worry about the operating problems: I'm sure they will get resolved in due course. It was great to see it at last after many years of hearing about it.

Regards,

Martin

Speaking as a frequent visitor in the off moments from operating on Spital, I can attest to the steady improvement in the operation of the layout over the two days. But as has already been said, it is a wonderful layout to look at even with nothing running. Good luck in the future. And I didn't find any of your loco lamps on the floor either!

Andy

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a chat with Mr. Blackgill at Nottingham. After the show last year there is a bit of trackwork to reconfigure and other work to do; I have a feeling he said it wouldn't be going out again until at least next year, but I wouldn't swear to that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

Sorry for a lack of updates recently. I've been away on holiday and then my dad has been on his travels too. As Jonathan mentioned, it was decided after Blackgill's first exhibition outing that the arrangement of having the turnout which splits the single line exiting the fiddle yard at the Tyne Dock end of the layout into the two main running lines should not be located in a tunnel (which was the cause of most of the derailments at Blyth show!). So that end of the layout has been completely relaid with plain rails in the tunnel area and a much gentler curve and simpler pointwork further back on the board between the traverser and scenic sections. This should also hopefully deal with problems in level that were causing some unsprung wagons to fall off with alarming regularity! A number of other small projects are also keeping the old man busy, notably building some more locos and finishing the pub that I hastily slapped together for the exhibition.

The next outing is, as mentioned above, pencilled in for next year; Blackgill may well be winging its way to Aylesbury in September for Scaleforum 2013!

I'll try to get over to get some photos soon.

Arp

Edited by Arpster
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It was less than two hours ago that Duncan (Axlebox) and I were saying what a great advert for Railway Modelling Black Gill was. (We do have to admit to a little bias of course)

That phot of yours (9F passing loco shed) above your dad’s workbench just cries out Tyne Dock Consett. It could almost be Doug Hardys well known photograph of a 9F coming into Pelton Station.

Anyhow we didn’t break anything on Tuesday… I think.

So, here are two phots you should recognise. Hard to spot the level X-ng in one of them. Should bring back a few memories though. Tenuous links I know but only a few hundred yard from the Consett Tyne Dock line. Real and imaginary…

Apologies if you’ve seen them before…

4368034226_7b7a0512cf_z.jpg
Columbia 11 by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

4368034112_da313471ef_z.jpg
Brady Square - Andersons Stores 2 by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

It was less than two hours ago that Duncan (Axlebox) and I were saying what a great advert for Railway Modelling Black Gill was. (We do have to admit to a little bias of course)

That phot of yours (9F passing loco shed) above your dad’s workbench just cries out Tyne Dock Consett. It could almost be Doug Hardys well known photograph of a 9F coming into Pelton Station.

Anyhow we didn’t break anything on Tuesday… I think.

So, here are two phots you should recognise. Hard to spot the level X-ng in one of them. Should bring back a few memories though. Tenuous links I know but only a few hundred yard from the Consett Tyne Dock line. Real and imaginary…

Apologies if you’ve seen them before…

4368034226_7b7a0512cf_z.jpg

Columbia 11 by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

4368034112_da313471ef_z.jpg

Brady Square - Andersons Stores 2 by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

Porcy

Those are incredible photos, and some of the only ones I've seen of the little branch up to Glebe Colliery and the 'F' Pit. I went to primary school just behind where the photographer is standing in the second photo and you would never know there was ever a railway there. There used to be a colour photo somewhere on Fotopic before its demise of a Q6 trundling over that crossing, guarded by a chap with a red flag. I'm damned if I can find it now though. And the stories I've heard from my mam about being made late for school by having to wait for a coal train to pass...

Thanks for the comments, chaps. I think the addition of people certainly makes Blackgill feel more alive! Glad you've enjoyed the latest photos. I do enjoy taking them.

Arp

[Edited for fat-fingeredness.]

Edited by Arpster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hitting the like button doesn't begin to do justice to how inspirational this layout is. I'm with Colin, some of the best model railway photographs I've ever seen. Wonderful, thank you for putting these up on site.

Alastair M

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks for the update, Arp. For my money Blackgill is still one of the very best of layouts 'out there'.

Dave.