57xx detail photos - a request

• RMweb Gold

A quick request for assistance.

I am trying to replicate the pipe work between the footplate and the tanks on a 57xx pannier,

The aim being a first attempt working with brass tube / brass rod and soldered construction. With the backup being an attempt to model it in Solidworks for 3d printing.

The more I look at the model, the more I cant live with the half depth pipe (with the associated misplaced pipe linking to the top feed and the flat pipe going across the footplate)

I havent managed to find any detail photos, I need a side on close up view showing the pipework and the bracket to the side of it.

Does anyone have anything suitable?

Ideally I'd have liked to get to a preserved railway and take some dimensions, however I cant see an opportunity this side of Christmas...

Thanks for the help

It's mainly the injectors which are probably available from the likes of Alan Gibson or 247 Developments.

Wasn't there an MRJ with lots of good side photos? MRJ 61 & 62

You could also try MRJ 70.

Also A Pictorial Record of GWR engines Pt2, p.171

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, shame Gibson dont show photos of their parts (would be interested to see what is included on the Gibson injector so I can work out which bit will match the 57xx

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As for magazine photos / Russell, I've had a good look, but as usual with printed photos everything is a lot smaller than a decent digital image!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, very different to the design on the severn valley's 57xx (in that the right hand pipe goes into a long horizontal pipe rather than a vertical).

However it certainly answers my other question in showing the location of the support bracket in relation to the firebox.

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic, Should have guessed that there would be something available.

I assume this is part 4M717 GWR tank locomotive injectors (x2)

Need to get some wheels ordered after the exams finish, will tag a set of these on the same order! Then its time to get back to working on the model.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, very different to the design on the severn valley's 57xx (in that the right hand pipe goes into a long horizontal pipe rather than a vertical).

However it certainly answers my other question in showing the location of the support bracket in relation to the firebox.

Remember that the SVR has three boilers, one with backhead clacks and two with top feed clacks, hence why there are differences.

kind regards

Duncan

Pipework varied and you ideally need pics of the engine you intend to model - if you can find any pics of it of course.

I agree with Mike. Dated photos are the only way to be sure.

The prototype views are all post 1945 condition topfeed fitted locos. If you are modelling a 1930's version the pic of the Gibson arangement is appropriate. Succesive manufacturers of 57xx, including Dapol's latest all have topfeeds yet are available with GREAT WESTERN on the side, a version that never existed.

The recent Pannier Papers series unfortunately concentrates on BR images with only a few early views. Cabside handrails, firemans side bunker footsteps and roof handrails are other differences to look out for.

Mike Wiltshire

Yes, there is variations and I agree about dated photos of the specific loco. However, the general arrangement is remarkably constant from the 1890s onwards. The main variations that I've noticed are:

1. The water input from the tanks. Most early examples have the very direct U shaped feed as seen in my photo of the Gibson part above. This was also common on panniers through to the forties. See, for example, figs 455, 459 and 466 in Russell v2, as well as photos of several other pannier classes. This form often appears to have a valve of some form at the tank exit, operated by a rod that goes back through the cab front. The pipe coming from somewhere further forward as on 9681 and 6752 (fig 452 in Russell, dated 1947) appears to be a late modification that I've only noticed with topfeed versions. However, many topfeed examples do not have it. The valve and rod is not present on this type (though may be somewhere at the other end of the pipe?)

2. The water feed to the boiler (upper rear of the injector) either goes through a couple of sharp bends to the topfeed pipe over the tank, or straight back through the cab front to the backhead clacks (on non-topfeed types).

3. The exhaust/drain. Early examples go straight down through the runningplate. Many of these were changed when saddles were converted to panniers so that the pipe turns outwards over the running plate and then back and down behind the steps. When they were kept, the earlier type were usually extended at some time to exit behind the steps. Many 57XX/8750 have the later form though there are many exceptions where the pipe goes through the running plate (e.g. Russell figs 452, 454, 464/5/6).

Nick

Thanks

I will have another trawl of the Internet but other than the photo in one of the cheddar books I've yet to find another showing 7723.

Other than Russell my loco reference book collection is somewhat lacking

1960 view here but it takes a while to load.

http://www.britishrailwayphotographs.com/collection.asp?folder=gwr%20bw

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again,

looks like the combination of that photo in 1960 and the late 40s photo in the Cheddar book show the loco with the U shaped pipe as per the Gibson casting.

While I am asking questions, which size backhead is going to be needed for it? Always get a bit confused, and the descriptions in the catalogue havent helped (other than making me think that I need a small?)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived