The B17s have landed!

Andy Y

I have my DCC B17 Sandringham up and running on the layout, following a couple of hours DC running in on rollers, it looks good and pulls very well with 10 teaks behind.

Slow running is excellent with no sign of hesitation, it is also nice and quiet I may consider a sound system for it at some time when funds permit.

I noticed some robber baron at Warley wanting £140 for this loco, they are available at a signifcantly lower price from the usual box shifters.

BTW the packaging is the new style "sandwich box" style

GW

Ah-ha! Good to see another Forest supporter among the group membership!

I saw these at Warley on Sunday and good though the piictures here are I don't think they do it justice. In the flesh, this is a magnificent looking model by any reasonable yardstick and I'm certainly not going to carp at the running plate, or anything else. I think Hornby has even even bettered the B1 with this one.

A little irritated (only joking) that some people have evidently got theirs already - mine has been on pre-order since April. Come on guys...get them out to us!

I just hope that it runs as good as it looks - I have had more than a little bad luck with Hornby running quality, most recently to the extent that after an unbelievably frustrating year with an L1, which included it going back the dealer - twice ....I recently (and quite literally) binned it! Which was actually a considerable relief.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see on that aspect of it........but I still can't wait.

Ah-ha! Good to see another Forest supporter among the group membership!

Ah yes, we all love trees and let's not forget bushes and shrubs

GW

Oh dear.

My B17 arrived this morning after months of anticipation (only fuelled by the ones on show at Warley) - and the left hand cylinder cover is completely missing (the rectangular one on top of the footplate - looking from back to front), with a resultant large 'gap' under the steam pipe from the smoke box which effectively 'dangles' in mid-air..

Unfortunately I did not notice this until I had glued on all the ancilliary parts - but fortunately I did photograph it as soon as I unboxed it - and the part is definitely missing.

This is really not good enough Hornby ........Anyone else had this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

This model looks absolutely stunning, but I was a bit surprised by the Model Rail review that said it derails on Hornby setrack points - has anyone else had this problem? Thanks guys

Not my B17  but with one of my B1's - Back - back was way out!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to the review. Glad to see Tony has highlighted Hornby's error (once again) in producing a BR green liveried model with black splasher tops when they should be green.

Not having a model to paruse, I wonder if it is a production thing. If the splasher tops are part of the footplate moulding and splasher fronts are attached afterwards, then the tops will end up being black. For the modeller, this should be relatively easy to rectify once a raiway colour has been found that closely matched Hornby's BR green. I cannot find my notes on this but I seem to remember I used Precision Paints GWR 1945 green on Hornby locos and BR loco green on Bachmann's.

Archived