Reading O gauge trade show 2012

cromptonnut

Solutions, bring lots of cash, bring cheque book, bring credit card.

If you run out of cash is £1.50 that much to pay to get enough to buy the things you want that day?

I will have some cash, I will have credit card (which of course has its limit anyway), don't have a chequebook any more.

Obviously I can't be the only one who has concerns about carrying hundreds of pounds in cash in your pocket "just in case" - the risk of losing it is of course a concern, or if you are in an area like where I live, being followed home from the cashpoint and mugged.

I guess £1.50 isn't a lot when you're looking at a £75 kit (or whatever) it's just the principle that annoys me.

They really ought to update their website to reflect it is not a free cashpoint, as I'm sure I won't be the only one that objects to paying to retrieve your cash.

• RMweb Gold

Weather forecast not showing any rain between now and Saturday. Life jackets wont be needed. :yahoo:

It's not what is falling - it's what is coming downstream that's the possible problem. The river here has risen 2 - 3inches since yesterday and the road between the A4155 and Sonning Eye has flooded since yesterday (it all always floods when the river rises to its usual flooding level so nothing unusual so far).

This is my first visit. Who's "missing"?

WEP Models for one and Southwark Bridge Models for another, both are usually there.

Don't get me wrong tho, there is still plenty of trade there to occupy a couple of hours browsing time, and to release a fair few notes from the confines of my wallet. I had an order for a WEP Wagon that needs filling and thought I could avoid the postal shuttle and Xmas post office parcel six a side football contest.

• RMweb Premium

Just picking up on the cash/credit card issue . . . I help a friend at shows and in the past we could accept cards but it was very long and slow process with writing all the details down including full address, phone number etc so that it could be processed the next day back at base as if it was a mail order. Cash arrived about two weeks later.

Now we use a hand held machine which is very quick as everything is confirmed by PIN and the cash is in the bank in 3 days time - the daft thing is that this is actually a cheaper system than previous - there is still rental to pay for the terminal but thats now hand held instead of fixed back at base but as the commission charges are less the end result is a cheaper transaction charge. Plus there is the very welcome added bonus of customers buying more as they can use the card.

What you might call a win - win situation with lower costs and higher turnover. We call it the 'Fleece-o-Matic' as it automatically fleeces the punters :sungum:

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Weather update - nice sunny day today after a reasonable touch of frost last night. In Reading to pick up son on his return from footie late last night and the river is over the top by the Caversham Bridge Hotel (c. 100 yards downstream from Rivermead) but not by very much and Christchurch Meadows (downstream from Caversham Bridge) is completely flooded at their lower end. In other words its about normal springtime flooding level and nothing to worry about as yet, shouldn't be interfering with Rivermead.

Weather update - nice sunny day today after a reasonable touch of frost last night. In Reading to pick up son on his return from footie late last night and the river is over the top by the Caversham Bridge Hotel (c. 100 yards downstream from Rivermead) but not by very much and Christchurch Meadows (downstream from Caversham Bridge) is completely flooded at their lower end. In other words its about normal springtime flooding level and nothing to worry about as yet, shouldn't be interfering with Rivermead.

Thanks for that update Mike

Very useful for those of us travelling some way to the area...

Cheers

Just seen the local news on "Meridan Tonight" and they said Reading traffic was gridlocked today because of the flood water at Caversham and Christchurch Meadows :O , not trying to be a scare monger just relaying what was said on the news.

Martyn.

I assume it's good to get there as early as you can, for the 'best pick' of any bargains? Or do things come and go during the day meaning it's best to keep popping back to the stand?

They used to do an auction - I say "used to" because I missed it last year (that may have just been me) M y experience is that they restock the tables as things get bought or as new boxes get delivered and there can be interesting items a while after the mad rush at the start. Oh, and it can be a MAD rush - bring your spurs and ice climbing gear, elbow pads and chain mail mittens.

They used to do an auction - I say "used to" because I missed it last year (that may have just been me) M y experience is that they restock the tables as things get bought or as new boxes get delivered and there can be interesting items a while after the mad rush at the start. Oh, and it can be a MAD rush - bring your spurs and ice climbing gear, elbow pads and chain mail mittens.

How does it compare to, say, the Bachmann stand scrum at Warley? As bad, or worse?

Maybe I should just give up and buy what I want new at normal price...

• RMweb Gold

Have just returned from Reading and noticed (in a taxi so could look) that the water in Christchurch Meadow appears to have gone down since last night. The traffic was ina state earlier because of

1. The two roads from the A4155 to Sonning Eye are closed due to flooding and traffic has no alternative but to go through Reading

2. Christchurch Meadows car park might have been restricted - not sure.

3. The only flooding in Caversham is probably on side roads - all the main routes seemed to be open but as my outward journey was in an ambulance I couldn't see much of what was happening.

4. Vastern Road towards Caversham Bridge is single lane due to work in connection with the new station entrance on the north side and that has caused traffic to back up over a wide area - without any need for flooding.

BBC travel news shows no roads closed in Caversham.

Might not be there on Saturday - depends on how I feel after a nasty crack on the head received after making a gravity assisted collision with a paving slab this afternoon; fingers are duly crossed..

Have just returned from Reading and noticed (in a taxi so could look) that the water in Christchurch Meadow appears to have gone down since last night. The traffic was ina state earlier because of

1. The two roads from the A4155 to Sonning Eye are closed due to flooding and traffic has no alternative but to go through Reading

2. Christchurch Meadows car park might have been restricted - not sure.

3. The only flooding in Caversham is probably on side roads - all the main routes seemed to be open but as my outward journey was in an ambulance I couldn't see much of what was happening.

4. Vastern Road towards Caversham Bridge is single lane due to work in connection with the new station entrance on the north side and that has caused traffic to back up over a wide area - without any need for flooding.

BBC travel news shows no roads closed in Caversham.

Might not be there on Saturday - depends on how I feel after a nasty crack on the head received after making a gravity assisted collision with a paving slab this afternoon; fingers are duly crossed..

Sorry to hear of your accident Mike, I cannot think of a better therapy than to do your best to make the show.

ATB,

Martyn.

I've not been to a show for a while. I've not showered for a fortnight, shaved for a week, I have a large and cumbersome backpack to wear, my corduroy trousers and tweed jacket are pressed and ready. I've been practising moaning loudly about the price of things, is there anything I've forgotten?

I've not been to a show for a while. I've not showered for a fortnight, shaved for a week, I have a large and cumbersome backpack to wear, my corduroy trousers and tweed jacket are pressed and ready. I've been practising moaning loudly about the price of things, is there anything I've forgotten?

Supper the night before should be brussel sprouts in garlic....

Archived