Reading O gauge trade show 2012

cromptonnut

Might not be there on Saturday - depends on how I feel after a nasty crack on the head received after making a gravity assisted collision with a paving slab this afternoon; fingers are duly crossed..

Sorry to hear that. A case of not enough water with it or simply a case of it? Anyway, hope you don't miss the show on its account.

Should teach you not to stand under falling paving slabs.

Well awoken to thick frost and dense freezing fog here in South London so this could be an interesting journey when I leave in a little while - must just finish spraying up this wagon before I go though.

Wife not coming so this could be dangerously expensive...

Usual painful process with my wallet returning having had its neck wrung. Parking was much easier than previous years and the traffic very light considering.

A welcome feature was the organisation letting folk in to the building before opening time rather than queuing outside.

Didn't recognise any RMWebbers but had to be in and out quick so was keeping my head down.

The BnB was a dreadful disappointment this year very little of interest to me and what seemed to be a load of tin plate and over optimistic prices. Hope others found a few more interesting items.

The BnB was a dreadful disappointment this year very little of interest to me and what seemed to be a load of tin plate and over optimistic prices. Hope others found a few more interesting items.

The B&B can only be as good as A) the quality/quantity of the items that are brought in - and B) the level of pricing - both A & B are entirely outside of the control of the organisers and any criticisms therefore should not be directed at the organisers.

Mike

Bring & Buy Stand Manager for Guildford OGG 1992 - 2003

The B&B can only be as good as A) the quality/quantity of the items that are brought in - and B) the level of pricing - both A & B are entirely outside of the control of the organisers and any criticisms therefore should not be directed at the organisers.

Mike

Bring & Buy Stand Manager for Guildford OGG 1992 - 2003

That is fair - and I was not directing the moan at the organisers - who were probably just as disappointed with the display this year. I have attended this event most years it has been in Rivermead but this year's BnB was by far the most disappointing for me. Maybe my timing was wrong. Maybe it was the cramped arrangement on that big table so close to the stage? Last year it was on more tables.

If I am to be critical of this year's organisation . I think the move of the test track out of that room and placing a few traders in the room was a mistake. Especially with empty tables in the main hall - though I'm guessing that was for the no-shows. The important thing about BnB is to get everything on display and within reach of the potential customer. As I couldn't get near or see what was on the stage ...

I fell in love with the Timber Tracks laser cut wooden building kits.

Just measuring up to replace my Metcalfe goods shed......

Also the Golden Age rebuilt Merchan Navy. Dont need one, but may re mortgage or sell my diesels and place it on mantlepiece !!!

Rich

post-10855-0-50076700-1354384381.jpg

]post-10855-0-52607900-1354384416.jpg

Just back from Reading to Bristol via Howes of Oxford, Interesting place.

But Reading was quiet I thought. Only one aisle was a little crowed and I found I could get around easily. the Tower Models stand looked deserted when I was over that way a few time.

Saw the Heljan Western and the 40 and both look nice although I agree with Brian who I met there that the cab windows are a little too vertical. But otherwise quite nice.

the Western was in a dark blue unpainted colour and I could not really see it properly to make judgement. Size wise its impressive but shape wise not sure due to not being able to see it properly.

Spends, very low for me. Well below what I had available to me but only went to buy parts but was open to offers.

Was only there two hours and met Brain and Tim C, always nice to meet them.

Bristol next in late January. Now that show could see some serious spending having seen a few things today. Golden Age rebuilt Merchan Navy for one.

Yes - I had an enjoyable day - but likewise didn't spend much - I personally thought it was pretty busy around lunchtime - only the Guildford O Guage Group will know those answers!

I had a 2nd look at the 40 and the front cab windows are definitely too vertical as you say two tone green - what's more - Brian said he's spoken to Heljan and they're not changing it! - I did half suspect that as it seems once the body is created that's it - it's just the minor things that get adjusted. A real shame in my eyes because everything else on the 40 looks really excellent. Did they not think to compare it to their 37 from a few years ago as a decent comparison? Even the Skytrex 40 has the windows sloping back at the correct angle although there are lots of other issues with that. Heljan really need a diesel expert consulting before the final mould is made. I guess we'll just have to put up with it if we want a RTR.

I was one of those in the 'early entrance' queue - 5th place to be exact - but likewise didn't recognise anyone.

Made a bee-line straight to the Tower stand and grabbed their only blue class 33 - so I'm very happy.

Visited Skytrex to find the particular wagons I'm collecting down from £50 to £30 - or 4 for £100 - so I had to, it would have been rude not to. SWMBO wasn't over excited at my overspend but understands that I did need them and at half price it would have been rude not to take advantage of the offer.

Also got a few odds and ends - people, paint etc - but mostly a lot of catalogues so I could follow up over the coming year with things I wanted/needed but couldn't afford. Amazed how much stuff there was that I just didn't know about.

Had a nice chat with the guys at Easybuld and will most likely be treating myself to one of their kits next year at some point as I was impressed with the quality.

Also nice to see and chat to Pete Waterman after a number of years, he did remember me which I was chuffed with.

Talking of 'chuffed', I had one of those 'right place right time' moments approaching Reading station as Princess Elizabeth passed over the railway bridge heading west on a Paddington-Worcester trip. But as I was driving, no photos sadly.

Generally very impressed with the show, most useful opportunity to lighten the bank account, although I would echo the comments about the "bring and buy" - sadly too many people looking and you just couldn't get to see what was on offer. Thankfully I'd already overspent so I don't feel I "missed out".

Thanks to the guys with the test track for letting me give my 33 a leg-stretch, and if the guy who had just bought a TTG "Deltic" that had a run round at the same time happens to be reading this, was good to chat.

Well done Guildford O Gauge Group and hope to be back in 2013.

I picked up a few wagons - 2 Haywood LNER vans and 2 ABS LMS opens. I would have had more of the opens but he only brought one of each with him. I was looking for 5 or 6 opens. Also bought a few bits for the vans I'm building. I could have bought much more if there was stock handy!

Passed through the bring and buy but nothing interested me. Great show, though and not too busy (which was probably not so great for the traders).

I stuck my head in. Seemed quiet on the last couple of years.

I thought the Bring and Buy was in the squash court?

Oh $£&!, how embarrassing! It appears that in my rush to get round and bagging a list of items I allowed the grey cells to get a little darker and mistook a trade stand (I use the word 'trade' lightly) for the BnB ... well I'm sure it was there in previous years. Somehow missing the Squash Courts entirely ... So perhaps I missed out there too? At least I'll not be kicking myself for not having purchased something, just severely chastising myself for not having squashed into the squash court. What is worse was that I get home to my workbench to see a note to myself to add a wagon to my list - that of course I didn't buy. Oh well back to P&P charges anyway :(

Next one 7th December 2013. Put it in your diary

But don't forget ALSRM on May 11th - same place, much the same trade AND some layouts!

• RMweb Premium

A flying visit today - good to see TTG and Marc Smith.

The WOW model of the show (for me, and it is probably totally out of my period) was the Sanspareil GW 36 ton breakdown crane - a very nice kit that builds into a very impressive model!

I did succumb to a Kirk Dia167 LNER Gresley Buffet kit - I blame Vin........there is going to be (eventually) yet another model of W9135E. Got a few other bits and pieces, just need to find some time to get my projects progressed rather than club related modelling / exhibition planning.

Looking forward to the Bristol O Gauge show, I'll be on the Sodbury Vale MRC stand and Paul and I will take one of the boards from Somerset Lane to display some stock.

Archived