Bridge of Orchy

sixteen 12by 10s

Hi Bill

you should now have a PM

There is no doubt that 2mm is fiddly, but I seem to be coping. I have invested In an Optivisor, and I work on a jewellers type bench, this is set a lot higher than the norm, and allows you to support your arms while working. The base boards, are coming out light and solid, so I am quite happy with the method.

Gary

Great set of pics so far Gary, I am sticking with ready to run, but I do fancy the TMC 37, It will be mainly 26, 27 37, plus poss the odd steam special on Glenfinick.

Still not sure if I am even going to bother with DCC on this one as it will be just one loco running at a time.

All the best Andy.

Andy, the reason i used DCC on Glenuig was nothing to do with been able to run more than one loco, and it is very rare that i do, it was to add another dimension to what is a very simple layout.

Bill, its about time i posted a trackplan, i will sort it out shortly. The layout will be a full circuit, a doughnut in fact

Gary

Andy, the reason i used DCC on Glenuig was nothing to do with been able to run more than one loco, and it is very rare that i do, it was to add another dimension to what is a very simple layout.

Gary

Yes that makes sence especially with lights on 37's, I still think I will give sound a miss though.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

To me - sound and light is one of the biggest - yet simplest but complicated additions to any layout in the smaller scales.

As a serious, long term advocate of 'Trains in the Landscape' type presentation of layouts - Sound an light are the next major requirement!

For diesel era layouts - this has to be the way forward to a more convincing layout!

For steam era layouts - I'm not sure....

After all - you see the train from a distance with only a visual effect of steam being exhausted form the loco - no sound....

Then you get the sound effect and can hear that from a distance.

What about the missing effects with steam locos?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated!

Thanks

Hi all,

To me - sound and light is one of the biggest - yet simplest but complicated additions to any layout in the smaller scales.

As a serious, long term advocate of 'Trains in the Landscape' type presentation of layouts - Sound an light are the next major requirement!

For diesel era layouts - this has to be the way forward to a more convincing layout!

For steam era layouts - I'm not sure....

After all - you see the train from a distance with only a visual effect of steam being exhausted form the loco - no sound....

Then you get the sound effect and can hear that from a distance.

What about the missing effects with steam locos?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated!

Thanks

A friend of mine, Peter Midwinter, (Trains 12) pours Whisky on to sponge and places it in the Distillery on his Glen Gillie Layout, I want ambient sounds on my N Gauge project, Glenfinick, I am hoping to get a CD with birds, on to play under Tredudoc my O Gauge layout,

But you are right about Steam sounds, still a bit iffy,

Andy.

Hi,

Andy - I too was wary about 'sound ' the cost of equipping my fleet was the main factor! However, since taking the plunge I wouldn't turn the clock back. Like Gary I only operate one loco at a time on 'Kinlochewe' and recently when out at the Bonnybridge show the comments were fantastic as those that had seen the layout at previous events without sound said it brought the layout to life! And i've got !!**** seagulls. I ran with 4 sound loco's all weekend!

Bill.

Hi all again

A few points

Sound fitting may seem complicated, and I have to admit to been a trained electrical and electronic engineer. The 4mm locos I have fitted have been easy, and the hardest job was removing the body. If you fit ESU sound chips, I get all mine from South west digital, the job is un plugging the blanking plug and plunging in the chip, the only other job is positioning the speaker.

Ok, I have put all my speakers in the fuel tanks, this dose involve a little more skill. The 2mm stuff, is a problem, there just isn’t enough space without major hacking around. ESU do have fitting instructions, you can follow these and you will have a working chassis without any modification, but there is no way the body will go back on!.

Distillery smells, would it not be a better idea to consume the spirit, then breath over the audience, the operation might get interesting as time goes on.

Nearly forgot, trackplan

Gary

post-7480-0-78560500-1355751088_thumb.jpg

I do like the prospect of Bein Dorain growing in the backscene! Its a nice little protoype to do Gary and Im looking forward to se this develop.

But as you are going for the DCC surround sound effect, to get the ambience right you need to fit showerheads to lighting units with a wind machine behind, and a smoke machine to give a permanent cloud just above backscene level, plus release midges so that viewers get the real west Highland experience :O

Andy, you are well ahead of the game, I already have the backscene photos, and picked a day when the Bein had its head in the clouds. I am going to try and light this, with an ever changing lighting effect, and now you have mentioned shower heads, best use waterproof PVA!. Sounds, a multi speaker system with the background noise, just to annoy the pants of the operators of the layout next door!, the odd cuckoo, sound of a buzzard hunting, running water, and the sound of rain, oh and in the 1980's there was always the sound of Runrig in the distance.

Bein Dorain, in the background, as 37408 Loch Rannoch, growls the last few yards up Count March 1988 think!

post-7480-0-59432900-1355774619_thumb.jpg

Andy, you are well ahead of the game, I already have the backscene photos, and picked a day when the Bein had its head in the clouds. I am going to try and light this, with an ever changing lighting effect, and now you have mentioned shower heads, best use waterproof PVA!. Sounds, a multi speaker system with the background noise, just to annoy the pants of the operators of the layout next door!, the odd cuckoo, sound of a buzzard hunting, running water, and the sound of rain, oh and in the 1980's there was always the sound of Runrig in the distance.

Bein Dorain, in the background, as 37408 Loch Rannoch, growls the last few yards up Count March 1988 think!

post-7480-0-59432900-1355774619_thumb.jpg

Ive got a photograph somewhere (in my film stock days) of the roof of a 37 taken probably around 1996/7 from the top of the Bein!

Re your sound effects, if you were modelling that day my photo was taken you would also need the sound of a group of VERY drunken revellers exiting the Bridge of ###### hotel and into the bunk house next door!

Edit : If i wrote the censored word as Horgy would that get through the filter?

second edit, yes it would!

I do like the prospect of Bein Dorain growing in the backscene! Its a nice little protoype to do Gary and Im looking forward to se this develop.

But as you are going for the DCC surround sound effect, to get the ambience right you need to fit showerheads to lighting units with a wind machine behind, and a smoke machine to give a permanent cloud just above backscene level, plus release midges so that viewers get the real west Highland experience :O

And then give the stick of kendal mint cake and throw them in a peat bog at the end for that quaint odour of a walker...............

Now when I climbed Beinn Dorian, I could see the end of my nose and that was about it. Thinking about it, that same comment covers about half of the Munro's I have climbed!

Good to see the progress Gary. I'll tell you of some clothes I wore in the 1980's and then you can model me. To be authentic, I need to have my head dangling out of a vestibule window.........

Hi all

And has my other half watches all 45 hours of Lord of the rings........again, I have grabbed the laptop, my usual suppa duppa machine through a wobbly on Christmas eve.

Mr Tatty, I will keep that in mind, I think some window hangers would be part of the scene.

I have now almost finished the three scenic boards, and have started on the first of the fiddle yard board, so over the weekend I set them up, to see how it looked. The diameter has come out smack on and they are straight across the ends. I placed a five coach train and loco, on where the down platform will go, the loco been over the top of the underpass.

post-7480-0-37399100-1356463487_thumb.jpg

A bit on the track, the two loop points on the prototype, are constructed with flat bottom rail, so for the model, I used flat bottom rail and soldered construction. The remaining yard points, are bull head, so this called for the use of Easy Track sleepers and chairs, very fiddly but I got there in the end. The common crossing is built up on a piece of 5 thou nickel silver, for strength, and I think I will need one or two copper clad sleepers along the switch.

Gary

post-7480-0-37399100-1356463487_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-83068200-1356463500_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

Those boards look very good and I like the flow of your track plan. The 37 is very good with sound and the headlight is superb. With your photos of the real thing in amongst the layout progress it real does create a picture of how its all going to look and I hope to be able to see it one day.

When you come to do the sulzers take a look at the sugarcube speaker as its small and should go underneath still with a bit of rebuilding and the sound is good. I fitted one in a OO 150 as the tank mould is too small and it is certainly loud and clear enough.

The WHL certainly is popular at the moment and it is nice to see them all develop. I got the closest point yet to Rannoch today when I past the turnoff to it on the A9 its still 18 miles from there but had to carry on to Inverness for work. One day I will have a day out there! (Ps Bill thanks for your kind comments about the layout- I'm looking forward to getting it all set up again Sat night when I get home as I've not played on it since October at Barrow show.

Happy new year

Mark

I got the closest point yet to Rannoch today when I past the turnoff to it on the A9 its still 18 miles from there but had to carry on to Inverness for work. 

That would be Kinloch Rannoch at 18 miles then Mark.  The station at Rannoch is as far again along even narrower roads.

Its a beautiful drive first thing in the morning to photograph the sleeper, as long as you dont get wiped out by stags jumping out of the ditches into the road right in front of you !!

http://www.theironroad.net/LinebyLine/The-West-Highland-Line/16227772_dqXLq7#!i=1219479587&k=85vLs4j&lb=1&s=A

Regards

Scott

Lovely sound you have there Gary, I will have to have a look at trying that when I get Glenfinick up and running, I am still waiting for the baseboard to arrive (I am no good at carpentry, all I can do is produce lots of sawdust, hahahha) and then I can make a start. It will also give me a break from working on Trebudoc but a MASSIVE LEAP from O Gauge down to N Gauge.

All the best for 2013 to you and your good Lady, and tell her to keep them damed seagulls under control, If you lose N Gauge ones you will never find them again.

Andy.

Hi all

Mark, the last time I went to Rannoch, 37275 was on the front, think it was 94!, I did get as far as Tulloch last year to photograph the station, and I shall have to make the effort to get to Couror and Rannoch to complete my set of photos, but this will involve a unit on the WHR, and it will be my first north of Arachar.

Just got to sort out some holiday dates, but it looks a strong possibility, that I shall meet you in person at the end of February.

I will sort a blog out on the sound fitting, I have another to do, 37190, so I will take some photos along the way. At first I was not going to attempt to The speaker fitted is a new ESU one, and is about 14mm square and 4 mm deep, it still needed a hacksaw taking to the chassis!.

post-7480-0-35132200-1357412414_thumb.jpg

is it worth the effort of dropping the body?

post-7480-0-20563500-1357412219_thumb.jpg

The track is now going down at quite a fast pace, and I only have one point and the trap to make. I am also wiring it as I go along, so I have already had a train running.

post-7480-0-56012300-1357412170_thumb.jpg

Andy 2mm seagulls? Perhaps, but a golden eagle defiantly, fitted with a speed governor this time!  

Gary

looking at the two together, it looks like the hassle of dropping the body is worth it, and now i have done one, i think the next will be easy.

The track laying is going at quite a pace, and i think i shall have most of it down in the scenic part by next weekend, and it looks like i shall use Peco, in the fiddle yard.

The siting of the control panel is giving me something to think about, i intend to use conventional control for points and signals and would like to operate at the front. 

On the scenic section, there is an area behind the backscene, where all the electrics and point motors will be, so the only thing under the trackbed will be the connections from the droppers. 

Gary

Archived