Bridge of Orchy

sixteen 12by 10s

post-7480-0-72871500-1354138703_thumb.jpg

So here we go on another project.

Glenuig was completed a few years ago, and is doing the exhibition circuit, other than maintenance, I have not really touched it, oh, and look out for next months addition of BRM. (January)

Now to the follow up, back in time again, to a land and time, where 37 roamed free, and their sound echoed off the mountains, as they hauled real trains. Yes, I was one of those who hung out the front window, as a English Electric type three, heaved its train over the highlands. Those days have gone but not forgotten, so in what way can I bring them back, in model form of cause.

The location, Bridge of Orchy, a real place this time, the reason? This station on the West Highland, had formidable banks on both sides, and a busy passing place, on the single line from Glasgow to Fort William.

Scale and gauge? Well, I don't have a lot of space, but I can accommodate an 8 foot doughnut, in EM this would look pretty silly, but in N gauge, it would be just right.

One of my thought on this scale, is the “chunky” looking track, so I did consider 2MMFS, but the task of converting all the stock, put me of. I have had a couple of chats with Eldavo, the creator of Wotan, he uses 2MM association rail and plain track, but builds the point work, with clearances to allow the running of RTR rolling stock. With this in mind, I did a few measurements and calculations and came up with a “standard” I will go into this in more detail in a latter post.

To test the theory out I constructed what is to become the Tyndrum end loop point. The prototype is and has been some time, of flat bottom rail construction, so I built this using copper clad sleepers.

The check rail gaps are a little wide, but I can live with that, but overall, I am very pleased with the first results.

To be continued

Gary

post-7480-0-28115800-1354138725_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary,

Im sure this will be another cracking layout from you and will look forward to seeing it develop. I found plenty of photos of the station before I built Rannoch and the sidings seemed to have some interesting stock parked up at different times too.

All the best with it

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I remember numerous trips behind 37,s on the West Highland lines. The most memorable trip was one wintry night when the train was delayed at various stations in the snow whilst the snow ploughs cleared the line ahead of us. The train staff went inside the buildings to keep warm whilst we had snowball fights with other enthusiasts on the platform

We were friends by the time we reached Glasgow in the early hours and they opened the Casey Jones burger bar for us at Glasgow Central whilst they found other services for us to continue south.

Look forward to to your new layout.

Ian

Thanks all, for your comments. Mark, you have made such a good job of Rannoch, how could I not have a go at the next station down. I have had ideas about introducing a little Scottish atmosphere, with lighting and maybe a thunder flash or two, but 2mm scale midges?, could be going a bit too far.

Justin, the gaps are the start of the switch blades, I may be able to use them as the insulating gaps.

Ian, you took refuge in the Casey Jones bar, but I hope you didn't take in the food, it used to be an absolute last resort! I have one good story, of when we were all in the Hotel bar at Ardlui, we had been assured by the gen man that the up sleeper would stop there for a crew change,and it was good fun to watch it go growling through the platform at 30 MPH, it was January and it was raining!.

Back to business! The first 37

After spending what seams to be a lifetime, finding room to drop the body down by 1mm to reduce the gap over the bogies, I have decided to fit sound, I fear it will involve the hacksaw.

Gary

post-7480-0-90606100-1354225321_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Look forward to seeing the layout develop - in 2mm. My eyesight just wouldn't cope. The fact that it's a real place got me thinking about my next challenge - 'Glenfinnan' -I know another 'West Highland ' layout. Mark certainly set the bar with 'Rannoch'. Will be a hard act to follow - I'm sure you will rise to the challenge if your previous attempt is anything to go by. :boast: .

Bill.

Gary,

I will also be watching with interest.

As a lifelong WHL fan I am always amazed at how much room your average WHL station takes up in any scale.

I was a particularly taken with Invermoriston in the recent Railway Modeller re-opening my eyes to the possibilities of WHL 2mm. That and this review of the new Dapol Class 27 http://nigelburkin.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/scottish-diesels-class-27/ have had me even visiting the 2mm Society web pages thinking about the possibilities of re-wheeled N guage stock on 2mm track similar to EM to 00?

Best of luck and I look forward to the updates!

Regards,

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Many thanks for the comment you left in my West Highland photo thread. If you want copies of any of them e mailing to you as JPEG files let me know.

Have you come across the photos on Ernie Brack's flickr site? The Scottish ones are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626439675261/ which include a lot on the West Highland, including Bridge of Orchy.

David

Hi all

David, thanks for that, the photo's you have put on the other thread are fine, and I did know about the “Ernie” photo's but he has added a few more.

Those of you who think their eye sight is not up to it, then try an Optivisor, works great for me.

Space, the loop from point blade to point blade works out at about 2200mm.

Back to the 37, I have managed to get everything in, just, with working head lights, and sound, the circuit board has gone, so has a large part of the chassis block and the guarantee! As for getting all the gear in a 27, I will find out shortly!

More on that to follow.

Meanwhile, I have built a jig to build the boards in, of which there will be 6 forming a doughnut, I hope the geometry is right, I will find out on the last one!

Gary

Gary,

I too am looking forward to this one and have some fond memories of sticking my head out of mk1s & 2s on the West Highland. I still go to Bridge of Orchy from time to time; there is a rather good hostel in the station building now and you merely turn right not left as you come out to get right into the mountains!

I am interested to see the sound fitting too. I am begining to add it to my steam stock and that is fine for the tender locos or the big Highland tank I am working on at present, but it will be less good for the smaller stuff. If you can get it in in 2mm, I dare say I can find somewhere to put it!

Gary, I have just found this, and I am amazed, last week I reserved a Dapol 26 in Blue, I have a similar problem, no room and I like to see through running. I stand ogeling Port Chuillin at many shows and so I am working an a slight modification on Glenfinnan (see Scottish Layout Projects by Ian Futters) in N to fit (hopefully) onto one board. I will be sticking to standard DC at the moment and may go to DCC but certinly NOT SOUND.

Glenfinick will be my first N Gauge layout for nearly 30 years, and that was continental with Flieshmann and Roco stock that was way ahead of the equivilant British Grafar at that time.

I wish you well with this and look forward to seeing it on the circuit in the next year or so.

All the best Andy.

Hi Gary,

This looks like a great project and I'll be keeping my eye on the DCC sound conversion. Nice to se some proper tractors too... 37188 was always good for thrash up the WHL.

Please keep us posted on how you insert the decoder and speaker.

Cheers

Lee

post-7480-0-75394700-1354996274_thumb.jpg

An unidentified 37/4 enters the loop, past the now redundant signal box 1988

Hi All

after completing on 37 with sound, I have just ordered another and a sound chip, I must be completely mad!. The next one's going to be 37190. This one will be a bit of a homecoming, as I work on the real 37190, as a volunteer with the Class Forty Appeal, and the sound sample, is intact 37190, Steve Weeks of South West Digital used the loco, for the recording, more on this soon. Others to follow, will be a split box, (undecided) and a few of ETH one's 408, 402, 423, Oh and a couple of small Sulzer's. (hurry up Dapol)

A bit more on the prototype. Bridge of Orchy station is on a ledge on the northern slope of glen Orchy. To the south, County March, a sharp climb, for a few miles, then the line then drops down to Tydrum. To the north, we are heading onto Rannoch moor, this time its more of a slog, up to Rannoch and eventually to the lines summit at Corrour. The bottom point of this part of the line, is actually along the platform at BoO.

The station lost its signals in 1985, and was radio signalled in 1988, I intend to use a bit “time shift” here, and model the semaphore's.

Gary

post-7480-0-73367600-1354996351_thumb.jpg

The station building, now a hostel 2011

post-7480-0-12399300-1354996399_thumb.jpg

The restored but boarded up signal box 2011

• RMweb Gold

The station lost its signals in 1985, and was radio signalled in 1988, I intend to use a bit “time shift” here, and model the semaphore's.

The restored but boarded up signal box 2011

post-6662-0-91128100-1355179203_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-83643800-1355179207_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-99203700-1355179213_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-66668600-1355179218_thumb.jpg

hth

Hi

Thanks Beast!

The home signal at the Tydrum end, I know this was a splitting signal, that I think was put in, in 1967 to allow bi directional running of the up, line. From this photo I have found http://www.flickr.com/photos/llangollen_signalman/5794126412/in/photostream/ it looks like it was taken out of use, sometime ahead of the radio signalling coming into use.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Thanks Beast!

The home signal at the Tydrum end, I know this was a splitting signal, that I think was put in, in 1967 to allow bi directional running of the up, line. From this photo I have found http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/ it looks like it was taken out of use, sometime ahead of the radio signalling coming into use.

Gary

Yes, it's gone on that diagram, I'm guessing it was to get the drivers used to always using the left hand line.

Hi Gary, Re post 17, I could have done with those speakers a few years ago when I was Bass Player in a band with George T,

Baseboards are looking good mate,

All the best Andy.

And you can't see, the 18" base bins under them. The piece of "cellar junk" you missed, is the head board at the back! http://www.class50.com/c50_zoom.php?img=0720040085310

The dust shows up on this 2mm stuff!. The first loco, just needs dirt, now. Sound fitting is not an easy job, and involves a hacksaw!. I will write up a full account, but the only place for the speaker is in the fuel tank, and this involves cutting away part of the main casting. The headlight works, this involved a piece of optic fibre been turned down and lit from inside by an LED.

Next 37190 in plain blue.

post-7480-0-70101500-1355599856_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-69520700-1355599831_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary,

Don't know if you received my PM with regards to your previous layout ' Glenuig ' if so will await your reply! As I like all things West Highland this looks as though it will turn out just as excellent. I did have a go at 2mm many years ago but was too fiddly for me! How do you find it compared to 4mm - quite challenging - or not?

Bill.

Archived