Bridge of Orchy

sixteen 12by 10s

Hi Gary,

Some superb work here, particularly on the tractors with the DCC and sound stuff.  I agree, dropping the 37's is better as that gap that exists on the RTR is quite large and the end result makes the loco look much much better.

Keep the pics coming

Cheers

Lee

Hi Gary,

Didn't expect you to be that far on already with the track work. Hope you do make it up in Feb, you can have a play if you want and will be good to meet you.

Scott - thanks for the link to your photos very nice shots indeed and useful for some of the detailing work.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary,

Looks like a great project.

One question and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but how did you go about lowering the body on the 37? Certainly makes a huge visual improvement.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

All looking great, you dont say how much hassle the 37 mod is- but it looks good, plus if you dont have them all the same it'll make the difference all the more noticeable?

You make it look so easy, maybe I shouldn't bin the 2mm fs stuff just yet, was finding it hellish fiddle, but maybe I just need to accept I need to buy points in!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for the kind comments.

I will be doing another 37 shortly, so I will do a “step by step” on the lowering and fitting the sound .

Mark, the track has commenced at a pace because, I built on of the loop points up as an experiment, and found them to be so good, that I used them on the layout, and the same for the yard entrance point, built with Easytrack components. I only have the yard trap and the siding point to make now, and I have finish all of the scenic track laying, except for the yard.

The next job will be point control, my thoughts at the moment are to use Cobalt point motors, but to mount them remotely, at the rear, my aim is to keep all of the electrics on top of the board and behind the back scene.

Russ, it is fiddly, but I am not finding it all that difficult, however, the extra care needed adds to the time taken to do a job. Using the Optivisor has certainly helped, and I wouldn’t be without it now, and also the raised work area in conjunction with it, so that you are always at its best focal point.

This project, has now been put to one side, as I have a couple of shows with other layouts coming up.

Time to get on the train to Glenuig

Gary

post-7480-0-47577900-1359449223_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-35789100-1359449248_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Its been quite some time since I last reported any progress, thing such as model railway exhibitions getting in the way of serious work. As I have said already, Bridge of Orchy, is an 8 foot circular layout, split into 6 boards. These boards were built in a jig, in an attempt to make sure all the angles where right. Until now, the boards have never been erected all together, so yesterday, with the kind permission of the domestic authorities, I assembled the whole structure for the first time. The first 5 boards where put up quickly, and then for the 6th and the moment of truth, had I got the geometry right, well I am glad to say yes, 2 of the fiddle yard boards just need slight adjustment.

A few more problems need sorting, the layout is kept in my cellar workshop, and after standing in the tropical temperatures brought on by the missus’s use of the central heating thermostat, there are one or two expansion problems, nothing that a slitting disk won’t cure.

The electrics are starting to gain pace, on the scenic section, and I am about to start laying track in the fiddle yard. The yard will consist of 8 loops, and will be laid in Peco code 80, for its robustness.

I have had a go at making one of the signals, the up starter, which is a single tubular post bracket. I thought, I’ll knock this up in a few evenings, well I am now on evening 6 and counting, so it’s a good job I only have 3 left to do, this scale is demanding.

Gary

post-7480-0-73740500-1364807672_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been quite some time since I last reported any progress, thing such as model railway exhibitions getting in the way of serious work. As I have said already, Bridge of Orchy, is an 8 foot circular layout, split into 6 boards. These boards were built in a jig, in an attempt to make sure all the angles where right. Until now, the boards have never been erected all together, so yesterday, with the kind permission of the domestic authorities, I assembled the whole structure for the first time. The first 5 boards where put up quickly, and then for the 6th and the moment of truth, had I got the geometry right, well I am glad to say yes, 2 of the fiddle yard boards just need slight adjustment.

A few more problems need sorting, the layout is kept in my cellar workshop, and after standing in the tropical temperatures brought on by the missus’s use of the central heating thermostat, there are one or two expansion problems, nothing that a slitting disk won’t cure.

The electrics are starting to gain pace, on the scenic section, and I am about to start laying track in the fiddle yard. The yard will consist of 8 loops, and will be laid in Peco code 80, for its robustness.

I have had a go at making one of the signals, the up starter, which is a single tubular post bracket. I thought, I’ll knock this up in a few evenings, well I am now on evening 6 and counting, so it’s a good job I only have 3 left to do, this scale is demanding.

Gary

attachicon.gifBoO3.jpg

Any chance of an update please, did this one get finished?

Kevin

Archived