H&B 2-4-0

post-702-0-26117200-1354383386_thumb.jpg

Here is another one from the past, Hull & Barnsley Rly 2-4-0 passenger engine and tender. Apart from wheels, motor and gears, again, all "Homebrewed." Built from a weight digram, photo's and the very similar 0-6-0 version, a drawing of which was published in the "Model Railway News" c1964. 35 years on, being a little wiser but unfourtantly, a lot older, I would now seek out from Manchester the original Beyer Peacock drawings. Mick.

Hi Mick

That is another fanastic model.

If you were able to obtain the original drawings would you build the loco any differently? Would the enjoyment in building it be any different?

Yours

Clive

You pose a good question. Obtaining the original drawings would help to get all the parts correctly laid out and to scale. Certainly, I would now use nickel silver instead of brass sheet, 35 years on, my turning technequies have improved and hopefully, I would now make a far better job of the boiler fittings etc Mick.

Mick,

You've scratch built some great models, over the years. Any idea what happened to this one; did you make it for yourself or for someone else?

You really must get back into some serious loco building, my old mate, you're far too good not to use that ability. The good summers are rolling on, my old friend!

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mick

That is another fanastic model.

If you were able to obtain the original drawings would you build the loco any differently? Would the enjoyment in building it be any different?

Yours

Clive

Dear Clive, the main advantage of working to original Detail Drawings are the dimensions. Far easier and far more acurate to work to a quoted dimension than scale off a so called "Scale Drawing". Best Wishes, Mick.

Mick,

You've scratch built some great models, over the years. Any idea what happened to this one; did you make it for yourself or for someone else?

You really must get back into some serious loco building, my old mate, you're far too good not to use that ability. The good summers are rolling on, my old friend!

Cheers

Mike

Dear Mike, the engine was one of about thirty I built for a collector, he died c1980 and his collection was sold, to whom or where I have no idea.

In all probability, my next loco will be the 7mm J73 0-6-0T, you will recall we all visited the "NRM" to obtain the drawings. In the meantime plenty of otherthings to keep me busy, the biggest, working for a living.

Thanks, Mick.

• RMweb Premium

In all probability, my next loco will be the 7mm J73 0-6-0T, you will recall we all visited the "NRM" to obtain the drawings. In the meantime plenty of otherthings to keep me busy, the biggest, working for a living.

Thanks, Mick.

Did you ever finish my 4mm version of the J73?

Yours was my first sale of that!

ArthurK

Did you ever finish my 4mm version of the J73?

Yours was my first sale of that!

ArthurK

Thanks for reminding me, for some reason, it got half finished and then put away. It is an excellant kit, and I must get my finger out, but as I said above, work gets in the way of most projects. Best Wishes, Mick.

Mick,

Congratulations once again on producing a scratchbuilt model which really does capture the essence of the prototype. You really have a talent for scratchbuilding and I can't help but think that when you eventually retire that you could be a very busy man if you decide to take on commissions. Can't wait to see what else you find in the archives to showcase.

ATB,

Dave

HI Mick

That looks smashing bit of work you have done and your skill shine through on this loco,one day i hope to build my own scratch build loco.

Keep the photo's coming mate,and the good work!.

All the very best

Darren

Here is an early view of the realthing, exactly where or when unknown. Mick.

And like so many Victorian and Edwardian locomotives weren't they just beautiful; reminiscent of the NER Tennants? Whatever happened to that attention to aesthetics, to balance, style and to everything just looking right.

Why must our twenty first century railway just look so damned ugly?

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I couldn't agree more about todays railways being 'so damned ugly'. So many of todays TOC liveries are garish in the extreme. Rolling stock looks more and more like travelling advertising hoardings, which incidentally is exactly what the company's want of course! In my opinion the best of the privatisation era liveries was probably the one used by GNER, which was understated when compared for example with therevised one used by Anglia Railways, with its multi coloured stripes alongside locomotive cab windows. Sadly these liveries are a reflection of the society we live in, where brash is the norm! Even the Blue Era livery put most of today's liveries to shame.

Dave

post-702-0-88763000-1355005137_thumb.jpg

No doubt from a traction point of view, "The best thing since sliced bread" as a looker forget it. Now to put things into perspective, if such power had been available say c1900, Mathew Stirling, the H&B's Loco Superintendant would have had a shed full of them. Mick

Beauty may well be in the eye of the beholder. All I can say of that hideous monstrosity, above, is that the designers must have completely abandoned and forgotten any pretence to conforming to the norms of aesthetics. Either that or they were all visually impaired.

And why does the livery have to shout so loudly? To me, it simply shouts brash, lacking style, and indicates and typifies an organisation which is flash, superficial and precious little else.

All in all, a perfect statement of our twenty first century railway - dreadful!

It may be powerful (which is what it is designed to be); it may be supremely efficient, but as a visually appealling object, to this viewer it defies description. If I were to try, I would be banned 'sine die' from RMWeb.

Cheers

Mike

Archived