MRJ219

chrisf

Issue 219 has just arrived. The Editor is Paul Karau.

Cover - the prototype Deltic at Chreis Pendlenton's North Shields

Inside:

Spreading Movement - the editorial

Small Suppliers Forum - new products by RT Models, Ragstone Models and PenBits

The Border Countied Project - a look by Graham Hudson at the exquisite EM model of Kielder Forest (station!) built by an area group

Sprung P4 chassis fo r3F - Colin McCall builds the latest Brassmasters EasiChas

Kingswear Plus - a glance at the late Mike Casey's sadly unfinihed layout

Fence Houses - the Scenics - how Alan Pearson made lots of 2mm trees, plus a pic of the protoype Deltic

Scratchbuilt Container - Trevor Pott's multi-modal

Wheel Derangements - Chris Pendlenton on faults and remedies, which as he reminds us have preoccupied him for close on 50 years

MRJ Christmas Competition - another mindbender by Don Rowland

An Overdue Christmas Parcel? - Chris Pendlenton advocates the lathe

Wallingford update - the branch terminus as captured by John Hayes

Portfolio - David Geen conflat meets ABS car, marriage brokered by Gerry Beale

Block Instruments - the series continues with Mike Norris

and just a few letters

Still no Masokits ad. Should we be worried?

Chris

That might be the question that I am posing in my clumsy little way. Hitherto he has launched his new catalogue and any new items therein by means of an ad in the issue of MRJ loosely timed to coincide with Scaleforum but not this year. He has not had a sales table at the last two Scalefora but I'm as sure as I can be that I spotted him in the venue. Let us hope that he is in rude and robust health!

Chris

Yep, got mine last week an hour before Chrisf posted the news. That must be a record for me, the mailcoach must have had a 'V eight' formation of horses on the front this time. Pretty good issue again but still no sign of my CSB article. Hey Ho.

Didn't see it in WH Smiffs 'library' this week though.

And I've just been advised that the layout in the mag - Kielder Forrest has been booked for Model Rail Scotland 2013 as a last minute 'grab' by the exhibition manager. This will add to the other EM layout that I know is booked - 'Stainmore' by Richard Nice, first time in Scotland. many of us won't have seen it, I have and it's worth a look indeed. :declare:

Dave Franks.

Guest Max Stafford

Nice to know Kielder's coming to Glasgow Dave. Great layout when I saw it at Expo North. Even if a couple of the drivers seemed to using 'carrier air ops' techniques! ;-)

Dave.

Nice to know Kielder's coming to Glasgow Dave. Great layout when I saw it at Expo North. Even if a couple of the drivers seemed to using 'carrier air ops' techniques! ;-)

Dave.

I understand some training has been undertaken now.....

Dave Franks

• RMweb Gold

Not surfaced in Ealing branch either, which is still selling no.218.

Ditto the three branches I have tried - perhaps we should email WS and ask when the 'paper shop' stock will be distributed ? (Strange to remark but I did suggest to PK when having a chat with him at Warley that he really ought to have look at RMweb now & again, he grinned and replied that someone he knows does look in here regularly ;) as he had seen and told PK about some pics I had posted a while back ).

Ditto the three branches I have tried - perhaps we should email WS and ask when the 'paper shop' stock will be distributed ? (Strange to remark but I did suggest to PK when having a chat with him at Warley that he really ought to have look at RMweb now & again, he grinned and replied that someone he knows does look in here regularly ;) as he had seen and told PK about some pics I had posted a while back ).

Email?

Wild Swan?

Oxymoron!

Ian (still worried of Askrigg,who is in dire need of his MRJ fix.)

In WHS in Spalding on Saturday. Strange as the manager there always seems to stretch out old mags 'til the last possible moment before putting out the new issue stock. Perhaps it's just that MRJ sells out faster........................... :no:

No problem in getting it if you have a subscription.

A good issue in my opinion.

Photos are as bad as ever if not worse in some cases.

Probably deliberate and trying to wind me up over my recent comments.

To be serious technical photos should have a consistant neutral background colour.

My qualifications for that remark. I once printed the photographs for a brochure for a firm that installed stine cladding.

Stone work on Kielder is representaive of a very wet day. It would usually be a much brighter almost golden colour.

It might well be accurate given the location and the typical weather, but does nothing to make the buildings appear attractive to those not familiar with them.

Other than that excellent.

Bernard

MRJ gets sent direct to the distrubtors direct from the printers so it may have missed last week slot and thats why it's not in the shops at the moment.

Ealing WHS told me this morning that they and other branches are not due to receive no.219 until 22nd December.

I'll have to look elsewhere.

Ealing WHS told me this morning that they and other branches are not due to receive no.219 until 22nd December.

I'll have to look elsewhere.

Peter Hunt had some in his shop 'Perfect Miniatures' on Sunday, and he'll happily post. 01787 375884

Hello from 2FS Man

I too have had problems getting copies. As I have an interest in this issue I have been looking all over for copies as have many people.

I have been in touch with Wild Swan and there are no problems there whatsoever. Copies that are issued by them such as subscription, and model shops have all had their copies and many are sold out.

The problem lies with the main distributor and that is why they are not yet in their shops or the newsagents who are supplied By Smiths Wholesale division.

A local newsagent rang them when I was in the shop this morning and was told it is not due out until 22 December.

The major problem is that the distributor cocked things up by getting dates mixed as the correct publication date was 22 November.

I alerted Wild Swan who are on to this matter. They are attempting to get the distributor to speed things up but are not too hopeful so we may all have to wait.

All I can say having seen a copy is that it is worth waiting for.

Regarding buying a copy I usually by mine from the local WHSmiths, but I thought that I would have a look online and maybe order one instead. Well to say I'm shocked is an understatement, I will not say who the retailer was but with p+p the total cost for one magazine was £6.65p !!! Well he can stick that where the sun don't shine , I will wait for it's eventual arrival at WHSmiths.

Martyn.

Regarding buying a copy I usually by mine from the local WHSmiths, but I thought that I would have a look online and maybe order one instead. Well to say I'm shocked is an understatement, I will not say who the retailer was but with p+p the total cost for one magazine was £6.65p !!! Well he can stick that where the sun don't shine , I will wait for it's eventual arrival at WHSmiths.

Martyn.

Wait 'till things get really bad in the Northern Hemisphere, and you want things sent to your new Eden in Australia!!!

Cheers,

Peter C.

(who sees regular editions of MRJ 3 months old, at a cover price of 10 quid+!!).

Archived