St Enoch Track Plan

ianwales

Hi all

I seem to remember a magazine track plan in one of the model magazines not too long ago featured the terminus at Glasgow St Enoch, had a look through the few mags I have before I came to work, but didn't find it, anyone remember which mag/issue it was in please, then I can look for a back issue?

Ian

Guest stuartp

You'll be much better off with the plans in Jim's link than looking for the Hornby mag. If I remember correctly this was one of the ones where their artist had managed to get St Enoch into a box room and just squashed it all up until it fitted regardless of whether it would actually be buildable.

Yes I think StuartP is correct. The trackplan in Hornby Magis maybe not realistic.

3 sources I know of

1. Steam Days had an article on St Enoch some time ago. I'll need to find out what issue, but have a look at their website I think they have a comprehensive list of back copies and can order them if still in stock

2. Glasgow Stations was a book from 1979 that has track plans of all Glasgow Stations. A bit difficult to get hold of. Publisher was David & Charles

3. And probably your best bet, have a look at the Railscot web site. Very good information there. Possibly they have a St Enochs track plan

If you are modelling this it will be a big undertaking- similar to Lime St Station I would think. Very interested in finding out how you get on

Alan

Decades ago when i was a member of the Renfrewshire MRC the layout began as a large and accurate model of Elderslie, with later extensions to Greenock Princess Pier and tehn the other way to large and pretty perfect model of St Enochs, not suere if it ever appeared in print,

• RMweb Gold

St Enoch is also featured in Historical Survey of Selected LMS Stations Volume 2 which I believe is due to be reprinted.

ISBN of my 1986 copy is: 0-86093-330 X.

I reckon that it would be a degree more difficult than Lime Street. Minimum space required about 20' x 20' in 4mm but that's not counting for the bridge over the Clyde and there's no obvious way of providing a scenic break so as to avoid modelling that so probably more like 20' x 25'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You'll be much better off with the plans in Jim's link than looking for the Hornby mag. If I remember correctly this was one of the ones where their artist had managed to get St Enoch into a box room and just squashed it all up until it fitted regardless of whether it would actually be buildable.

But wasn't the prototype like that - squashed into a corner?

Archived