kaydee compatability

• RMweb Premium

They will couple together. There have been some comments about whether the plastic couplings will stand up and whether they will hold up in a long train.

However, I found the B'man useful in getting through all the stuff that hangs from the buffer beam just at the point where the Kadee pivot is.

They will couple together. There have been some comments about whether the plastic couplings will stand up and whether they will hold up in a long train.

However, I found the B'man useful in getting through all the stuff that hangs from the buffer beam just at the point where the Kadee pivot is.

thanks for input david

When I lived in the USA I used both on my layout. I found Kaydee won handsdown. (They are now the only ones I use no I'm back in the UK)

Yes, the two will couple BUT for absolute reliability in coupling/uncoupling IMHO I would stick with one brand.

• RMweb Gold

Some of the plasyic variants of the knuckle coupler dont have separate springs but sprung plastic strips. These often distort or break if the stock moves in its storage location and puts pressure on the coupling.

They also dont always uncouple over the magnets.

The plastic couplers iwht the separate spring similar to the Kadee couplings arem uch better but can still bend.

If I am not using the stock for shunting (ie fixed rakes) then I often leave the plastic versions in place. Otherwise I will fit Kadees

One thing to watch is that I find that the smaller to scale Kadee couplers dont work aswell but some will say otherwise - just something to be aware of so you can make your own choice.

I use both Kadee and Eazimate couplers but am steadily going to all Kadees. They do work together but as has been noted there are some reliability issues when mixing couplers. As I do exhibit my layout keeping all the same is beneficial.

If it comes to a choice I prefer Kadees, but that is my personal view

I have both on my layout, and like most of the posters here, I to have begun switching the majority of my stock over to Kadee instead of the Bachmann EZ-mate couplers. The Bachmann couplers are also quite long, the same as the Kadee #20. Depending on the stock you are using, and the curves on your layout.. you may find the smaller #18 & #19 couplers from Kadee will give a much nicer, close coupled effect. I have used the Bachmann coupler at the end of my MK1 & MK2 coach rakes, but Kadee's on goods and loco's.

I've used both in the past on US stock, but the preference is Kadee. I find the biggest advantage is the different lengths available. While most British outline is OK with #18. The new Bachmann SR 'pillbox' brake vans need #19 and the Presflos #17. This gives a fairly good close coupling, yet they will still take the 24" rad points in my fiddle yard. Some loco's have required #20 as do the Hornby, ex Lima, 6 wheel milk tanks.

• RMweb Premium

After problems with them on my layout at our show the eazi mate are gone - even the ones with springs instead of the thin plastic"springy bits"

When put under tension with a heavy, stiff, vehicle behind them they tend to either slide up or down and disconnect. So Kaydees for me and the No 5 is perfectly adequate for most of my stock - not sure the NEM "boxes" are stable enough to use them so they are coming off most of my stock too.

It is discouraging to see Kaydee moving into plastic and also down sizing their catalogue.

not sure the NEM "boxes" are stable enough to use them so they are coming off most of my stock too.

I've run up to 50 4-wheelers with NEM boxes and Kadees with no problems.

• RMweb Premium

I've run up to 50 4-wheelers with NEM boxes and Kadees with no problems.

How heavy where they? 20 loaded (with granite ballast) wagons tends to make them wobble a bit

Archived