BRM January 2013 issue

SteveCole

Downloaded to my PC ok earlier. I had a quick flick through, some good articles & photography in there for reading later.

Wisbech & Upwell layout looks promising...just down the road from me.

Note to Andy Y - MI looks excellent in landscape format.

Stewart

Seeing as our designer, Fletch, has plastered all manner of 'stuff' over the blizzard conditions on Hudson Road and cropped it down I thought I'd post the full image. In addition to the images in the article there's more snaps of Jon Grant's excellent and atmospheric modelling that we'll be including in the Model Railways Live Newsletter which will come out in early January to give some added value for those who would like to see more. Jon's layout is an absolute dream to photograph and it has so much soul and atmosphere as those who've been lucky enough to see it at exhibitions will know. It last appeared in public just under 7 years ago and I'm tremendously grateful to Jon and his friends for hauling it out of semi-retirement when I got in touch as my dream layout to take pride of place on the shelves for Christmas.

For me Hudson Road is probably the best snow scene I've seen on a model railway.

TBH, on first seeing the cover image when Steve posted it a couple of days ago, my first though was that the photoshopping had been over done and really didn't do anything for the layout, however now Andy has posted the full image without the excess clutter, it does look rather good, it's not the photoshopping that spoils it... I do think that BRM (along with two others of the big 4 mags) have a tendency to over-produce the covers with too many extraneous slogans and graphics scattered all over it. Looking at that example there are elements at 4 different non-square orientations and just how many different fonts have been used?? To me it does sometimes look a bit messy and reduces the impact of some very good photography used on covers recently. For me let the cover photo out to catch the eye - I can then look inside at the contents page for full details of what else there is [polly bags permitting...]

Paul

• Administrators

Hi all,

Sorry for the problems you seem to be having downloading the magazine. I'll get in touch with Magcloner and find out what's happening.

Paul - interesting comments about the cover and they mirror some discussions we've been having in the office: do we let the image 'sell' the issue? It's something we're playing around with and will definitely be looking at some 'different' options in the coming months.

I hope you all enjoy the magazine.

Have a good weekend.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Having had the pleasure of operating one of Jon Grant's US layouts, I can attest to the superb quality of atmosphere he injects into all his modelling. Indeed when I first saw Hudson Road at a show, as I approached it I thought it would be a gimmick layout with little to reccomend it other than snow and darkeness, but no, it was hard to drag myself away from it after an hour. Jon is a gifted modeller, whatever country he turns his hand to!

As for the monkey, google Hartlepool....all of use north-easterners know all about monkeys and Hartlepool! :O

NHN,ex-pat Geordie.

Note to Andy Y - MI looks excellent in landscape format.

It's actually portrait (so you don't have to swing the mag around) but using several double-page spreads for some images in landscape form. It's a little more conventional but I think it sits within the magazine a little better. I've not seen the final printed and bound version yet so it's difficult to say if there's any detrimental impact on images with the spine but I've tried to minimise the impact where possible but I'll be interested to hear the thoughts of others in due course.

It's actually portrait (so you don't have to swing the mag around) but using several double-page spreads for some images in landscape form. It's a little more conventional but I think it sits within the magazine a little better. I've not seen the final printed and bound version yet so it's difficult to say if there's any detrimental impact on images with the spine but I've tried to minimise the impact where possible but I'll be interested to hear the thoughts of others in due course.

Sorry my terminology got mixed up there! I see the digital version, and much prefer the 'wide width and short height' which fits my screen better than the normal 'tall magazine' approach (howzat for a technical description?). And I have a widescreen monitir too so it all fits together nicely. Must admit the paper version does sound a bit iffy, I'll have to take a quick peek when I'm next in a newsagents.

Stewart

edit - just realised exactly what you meant there....doh!

The other half of MI in BRM this month is devoted to Pete Waterman's 'O' gauge Leamington Spa.

We've posted a few of the 'snaps that didn't make it into the mag on MRL here https://www.model-ra...Leamington_Spa/

My favourite image of the this issue of MI was retro-style snap of Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and Blue Star Line double-heading a footbal' special from Southampton through Leamington. Pete's first reaction to the picture was somewhat Anglo-Saxon but he did go on to say "This is one of the most outstanding photos taken of a model railway I've seen" so as long as it hits the spot for a layout owner that'll do for me. Join Pete's Railnuts facebook group at http://www.facebook....192967507490617 where you'll find bags more Leamington content from Pete and the team.

Leam_Newsletter.jpg

• Administrators

Here's a cracking competition for you.

In the January 2013 issue of BRM (which goes on-sale in shops on Thursday, Dec 13th) Tony Wright reviews the new Hornby B17. For a chance of winning a brand new Hornby B17, enter our great competition on Model-Railways-Live: https://www.model-ra...ass_locomotive/

post-14186-0-82360200-1355220690_thumb.jpg

Archived