Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

Heki ground foliage arrived this morning, a spray over the tree with some clear varnish and spread out the foliage.  I’m really happy with the results it gives a nice thick canopy.  I’ll be doing a few more like this and as Heki do 3 colours of green I’ll get a nice range of colour.
from this............

284DF537-8700-4FC4-8AD7-5AC951474B45.jpeg

• Like 5

So a little development regarding Sonning,  I’ve decided to expand it into a full roundy roundy layout.  I’ve wanted to do this for some time first with Severn Tunnel then the riviera line. Circumstances took over in regards to the riviera line so this seems like the ideal project to extend. For now I will continue to build it as originally intended at 12’ long then after I can meet with a friend who has the ability to print out the curves I’ll move on to the curved section. I’ll move the bridges to become the scenic brakes on the curved sections. By doing this it will allow 3 viewing areas which should give nice views along the track and bring the viewer right down into the cutting. 
I’ve wanted to build my own complete exhibition layout and not just a diorama for a long time so it’s time to put my money where my mouth is! 
Each road will split into 2 in the fiddle yard giving the option to have 8 trains.  Train lengths won’t be scale length by any means but I should be able to have 7 coach sets ( Bristolian scale length ) plus loco.  Operation will be fairly straightforward. Signals will be by Jon Fitness as always and the bridges will be laser cut by Philip Healey Pearce at Intentio designs.

B349D57B-0EFB-418B-95B0-7184F242D0B0.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Struggling to get hold of Dapol’s O gauge ballast and an internet search turned up this from natural scenics. Great value for money. Looks a very close match to Dapol’s offering so should blend in well with what I’ve already used.

7B47C11A-3ABD-4209-9BB3-C1DE8B11B91C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve made a start on weathering the Minerva vans, a new product for me MIG rust wash I’ve got a few others coming as well, a simple paint over and wipe away then MIG powders which I’ve used for years mixed with a little water for heavy rust spots, this will be sealed with spray varnish before the next washes are applied.

7B859B29-2A5F-4540-87B4-A0D9C9CC6507.jpeg

7981A7C4-A32C-4026-8555-C09A5879AB26.png

• Like 7

Sealed the vans, they’ve had another wash of rust over the ribs etc plus a waft of Howes frame dirt along the under frames TBC 

Also knocked together the second scenic section and second track board, 

the ballast edges will be tidied ! 

687EB3A9-6BE1-48D6-BCEC-5B9919E91B0A.jpeg

FB1029C5-84D7-420D-88AD-0C9AFFE981F6.jpeg

• Like 8

Just a little job today, I’ve added some Noch lichen right along the rear to disguise the joint between slope and backscene.  It’s a little garish in parts but that doesn’t matter as there will be much better bushes, Bracken and scrub from MBR and polak in front. 
This Noch stuff is cheap and fills a gap and reduces the amount of the expensive bushes I’ll have to use.

653ED133-9034-4605-9D84-C0D5C0671DCA.jpeg

• Like 9

More scenics arrived from GModelscenics, I particularly like there forest bushes,  I’ll be getting some more of them.  Heki ground foliage and some more dead fall, the areas in between will be filled with more bushes. Another large tree made up and screwed in place

64BA6C5D-CB34-4227-A687-932114053604.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1