The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Police and Crime Commisioners.....

BlackRat

• RMweb Premium

It could all end in tears .

to quote the old expression , if it aint broke dont fix it , was there actually anything wrong with the old system .

Certainly in my 34 years with Avon & Somerset I never saw any problems .

And at the last count 8 Chief Constables have cried enough and quit , wont that alone send a message to

the new PCC's that they are not wanted if not higher up the political ladder .

I've said before that I find it amazing that you guys at the sharp end stick with the job , every time I read one of

Gadgets new posts I sit here in total dis-belief at the way thing are going .

Has the Federation thought about getting every officer to hand in a resignation at the same time , then we

would really see just how valuable the government think you are .

It could all end in tears

It's certainly ending in cronyism.

With more and more layers of officialdom, you can see where the money's being spent. Much the same happened in the NHS, local government, etc.

Has the Federation thought about getting every officer to hand in a resignation at the same time , then we

would really see just how valuable the government think you are .

The money saved would probably be spent on more PCSOs.......

When I left 'The Job' I must admit I foolishly thought, "Surely it can't get any worse!" Should have known better! It could and it has!

As if the denigrating combination of the continuing fiasco of Senior Oficers, Politicians and Media greasing each others pockets wasn't bad enough, then this comes along.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.........................

Sometimes I feel like I live on some completely alien planet where nothing quite makes sense to me ....

I sort of understand that Commissioners are supposedly more in a position to direct operations according to public demand ...

But at the same time I get the impression that what the public most want is more good old-fashioned bobbies on the beat who are allowed to give wayward teenagers a good-old clip around the ear and thus head-off potential trouble in the future - but that they won't be allowed to do this.

I don't think there will be more bobbies on the beat, nor a stiffer approach from the police toward wrongdoers - and so from that point of view I can't see a value in having commissioners.

It's (non)-jobs for the boys, and the satrap/client state which was hugely expanded from 1997 onwards can only get bigger.

These posts do not actually produce anything, nor - fundamentally - do they serve anyone except themselves. What they do achieve is to get in the way of what is really needed. And, inevitably, if you create / expand a client state, you will produce vested interests. Some of the existing vested interests can already be heard vociferously arguing against any cutbacks in funding.....

Remember we're all paying for this, unless of course you have worked out a way of (legal) tax-avoidance or are genuinely not domiciled here for tax purposes.

• RMweb Premium

I could be off base here , but my impression is that the old Police Authority agreed a budget that was then given to

the force ( sorry , service ) the Chief then used this at his discretion to run the area for the next year .

Now we have a load of jumped up people who suddenly think that they can not only set a budget but then tell the

Chief how he should allocate and how he should do his job .

There were storys during the run up to the election of the candidates saying how they were going to get this or that

done and they would prioritise areas of operation . Somehow I cant see many CC's taking that .

If I've got this wrong maybe one or more of our members who are in the job could comment .

It has saddened me to see the way the whole police service has been dragged down by government

interference in the name of saving money ,

I said once that there are three areas that should be funded to maximise there potential , these are

the Armed Forces , the Emergency Services and the Health Service , I dont think that most people

begrudge their tax money being spent in these areas .

Read this to see just how bad it is in some places , not just the current entry but go back to some of the

other earlier ones too .

http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/

Getting off horse now .

• RMweb Premium

nor a stiffer approach from the police toward wrongdoers -

The police take the right approach now , that is with their hand tieds behind their backs , to

many petty rules stop them being to proactive because they will be in more trouble than the

wrongdoer .

....It has saddened me to see the way the whole police service has been dragged down by government

interference in the name of saving money....

It's not necessarily saving money, but moving the "savings" around so that they can fund whole new layers. So in fact you end up not saving any money at all.

A late friend of mine used to work in the Finance Department of a multinational company which had its offices near Aldwych. During his time there, the company was going through a fairly serious decline in its businesses and therefore its overall earnings, so it took the step of selling off the bits that were unprofitable (there were many!) and retrenching as much as it could. The trouble was that Senior Management and above were being given substantial bonuses for achieving all these cutbacks, so the money saved was being paid to them. The net effect is that the savings didn't amount to much once bonuses had been paid out!

• RMweb Premium

On an opposite note for a change, Alan Hardwick the Lincolnshire PCC has identified savings in his own office of £500,000 and is putting that back into the police pot. I don't know how many deputies he has not many I suspect.

• RMweb Premium

3 years and 9 months and I will be 60 will the money add up , not anymore because my retirement age will be 68! They should be retiring me and giving the young people a chance. When I first started teaching I was barely old enough to be Dad to 16 year olds now I am old enough to be great grandad,

http://www.guardian....d-of-power-grab

Certainly makes interesting reading.

I don't think so - just yet another example of the typical biased and one sided reporting to be expected from the Guardian. The union's voice-piece.

The best bit was quoting some bod from the "Police Federation Think Tank", What! they still allow the police to "think", someone is slipping there. I actually think the PCCs are a good idea that has become corrupted by national politics before it has had chance to do what it was intended to do. It replaced an inefficient and ineffective system with a good idea. But will probably just end up as an exercise in moving deck chairs as they come to realise that it takes more than one person to do the job.

• RMweb Premium

Direct quote from that report .

These included an office for resilience and an office for drug eradication. The latter would "play a

new and direct role in drugs eradication" including working with the director of public health to prevent

and tackle drugs use and foster a bigger role for the voluntary sector.

How is a person in what I think is a non-job going to be able to eradicate a drug problem ???? Oh yes

create more jobs for the boys .

Drugs are for the POLICE to take care of , not some know nothing in a posh office .

Guest Max Stafford

I personally think 'drugs' could have been sorted decades ago, but someone up there prefers stoned youngsters to angry youngsters.

But I'm away to put my tinfoil hat back on now.

• RMweb Gold

I personally think 'drugs' could have been sorted decades ago, but someone up there prefers stoned youngsters to angry youngsters.

But I'm away to put my tinfoil hat back on now.

I think you're absolutely right - seems all too clear to me taht it suits someone (or rather lots of someones) in high places to keep a countable percentage of teh population zonked out on whatever it happens to be. That we the populace will be kept nice & quiet.

As for PCCs I must admit I can't see the point - why not just make the old system have electable members?

Archived