The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

GCR Museum to be built at Leicester

Adams442T

• RMweb Gold

Well they need some covered storage for some of the more delicate items of stock in the collection, particularly the 'Barnums' once they are restored. It will be great to see them under under one roof with some of the other exotics from this grand line.

What an excellent idea - and it will also give a bit reason to making a trip to the Leicester end of the GCR. Wonder where the funding is coming from

Agreed Mke, a great idea - I'm just wondering exactly where it's going to be built though as (I'm pretty sure) there's not a lot of room at Leicester North, with houses on two sides and the ring road a few yards beyond the stop blocks at the bottom of the slope.

Definitely one to watch this ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Agreed Mke, a great idea - I'm just wondering exactly where it's going to be built though as (I'm pretty sure) there's not a lot of room at Leicester North, with houses on two sides and the ring road a few yards beyond the stop blocks at the bottom of the slope.

Definitely one to watch this ;-)

According to our local news last night, the inference was that it's going to be built end on to the existing running lines, as you say, a bit tight for elbow room down there.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

According to our local news last night, the inference was that it's going to be built end on to the existing running lines, as you say, a bit tight for elbow room down there.

Mike.

... wouldn't the wheeled stock end up running away down the slope and disappear out of sight along the ring road :O

I think at one point they had hoped to cross the ring road and get back into town at least as far as Abbey Park to tie in with the Pumping Station (closed through cuts) and the Space Centre (voted Britain's crappest day out).

It would make a lot of sense to do that, but in the current climate I can't see where the money would come from, which leaves them stuck out on the northern fringes of town in a frankly rather sketchy neighbourhood.

The GCR has several big ticket projects - the Bridge, the Loughborough Loco Works, this new NRM tie-in. I only wish it was me that had the £64 million ticket last week so I could bankroll all of them - they all deserve to succeed, and the Greater GCR is a fabulous ambition.

Archived