Dragging this topic up from the dead...

Well Newcourt on the Exmouth branch is now open, and i'm told already proving popular (I haven't managed to get there yet unfortunately!)

Cranbrook station appears to have had serious issues, it's now due to open in October, more than a year late!  :(

In terms of train service - in a future timetable change both Exmouths in an hour will go to Paignton, the Barnstaple service will in future run to Central. That gives a second Paignton train every hour to support the upcoming Marsh Barton station.

On my walk to work I noticed that preliminary works are now underway for Marsh Barton though, as mentioned in some of the planning docs - initially closing the footpath crossing just to the South of the station site, my presumption is that once there is a station there it will block the view of Southbound trains and so make the crossing unsafe?

post-6762-0-34331900-1440705803_thumb.jpgpost-6762-0-28211200-1440705811_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Martyn, any idea on when those timetable changes might happen? I read somewhere that Barnstaple services might get extended to Axminster but that might require more infrastructure work to accommodate. If they turn round at Central, presumably they could use the bidirectional line to run in & back out without changing tracks?

• 1 year later...

Jury is still out.

Gas people seemingly reinforced the pipe and put up shiny new *DONT BREAK THIS PIPE* orange posts then left.

Yesterday another crew arrived, delivered an amenities block onto the down side approach, and they are clearing and laying in fibre optic cable along the up side approach...

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I read that was from the Nov change?

An Axminster service from memory needs a loop adding.

My guess is they will use the Exmouth Jcn turnback

Axminster is theoretically just possible without another loop (at/near Whimple) but there'd be zero resilience so it's not on. Another option, possibly easier, would be to extend Honiton loop down to Feniton. That would also sort out the clearing point issue on the down at Honiton which makes GW diversions difficult. The ideal would be both, which would have enough "give" to prevent delays on either service unduly impacting on the other. It will be interesting to see how (First) LSWR want to approach things, and even more interesting if Stagecoach were to get GW when it comes up again......... 

The siding at EXJ will be very useful in the meantime (years rather than months though, I'm guessing).

John

Archived