Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

David,

Superb work as usual. I hadn't realised that you replace the etched safety loops on the brake rodding with wire ones - something looked different, but I couldn't pin down what it was!

I came across one of the Flat EDs recently with a somewhat unusual load.

post-8055-0-35370000-1387667852_thumb.jpg

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello.

I was just going to click the like button but I thought that wasnt enough. They are brilliant David!

I totally agree with you in regards to etched chassis having a finesse about them which you just dont get with the regular moulded types. It would be great if you could let me know the shop codes for them too, then I could give some a go as well. I dont think I could get anywhere near the quality of your work though but I would be happy giving it my best shot...

Missy :)

David,

Superb work as usual. I hadn't realised that you replace the etched safety loops on the brake rodding with wire ones - something looked different, but I couldn't pin down what it was!

I came across one of the Flat EDs recently with a somewhat unusual load.

attachicon.gifIMAG1320.jpg

Andy

Thanks to you both for your kind comments. I think that you are being unnecessarily modest, Julia. Anyone who has produced working and illuminated signals should find a few etched wagon underframes a pleasant relaxation :yes:

The underframe for the bolsters is 2-360, 17' 6" for 3 Chivers kits. The other is the tube wagon which haven't done as I'm not sure that they survived to 1967.

The others all use a variety of 10' underframes. The Conflat uses 2-357 which is for B.R. 8-shoe brake gear. The D1927 Medfit has the 2-332 RCH underframe but this needs a tie bar adding between the axleguards as it doesn't have one on the etch. Finally the B.R. 1/017 Medfit has 2-354 which is the standard B.R. 4-shoe underframe.

Andy has spotted that I replace the safety loops on the brake gear. I started doing this with flattened 5 amp fuse wire but Stephen Harris, who thinks I have an unhealthy obsession with safety loops, kindly etched me some and he occasionally adds a few more on a corner of his test etches. Frankly they are a bit of a b****r to fit but the RSU does make it a bit easier.

The safety loops on the 8-shoe underframe are also from Stephen. If you build his 16T mineral wagons as unfitted you will have spare safety loops for the 8-shoe fitted version which haven't been used. He supplements my supply by providing me with his spares!

Finally I'll add another photo:

post-9616-0-72120200-1387751038_thumb.jpg

This is a test etch that I assembled for Stephen's Catfish kit which was done more than several years ago. It has been sitting around waiting for a suitable set of buffers and, finally, thanks to Julia, it is now the proud possessor of a lovely set of 3D printed Great Western pattern self-contained buffers. No, I don't know why they had them either and they weren't even built at Swindon! It might get painted now but don't hold your breath . . .

David

• Like 10

Lovely stuff David! The Flat ED is particularly different, I never seen one modelled before. Andy's photo has given me an idea of what to do with my 3D printed Ffestiniog loco when it turns up.

The Chivers LMS Tubes clung on to at least 1970 in service - there's a nice photo of one in Liverpool in the Bradford Barton Pre-Nationalisation wagon book. It even has roller bearings which is kinda fruity! Here's my one, mid-way through weathering.

5a70335aa7108a471d89d6bcf9f6838b.jpg

On my workbench this evening is my representation of the Prototype OBA. No reason or need for it, I just had a spare Farish OBA and one thing led to another.

c6b4411137a899564aecade05908fb54.jpg

Merry Christmas,

Pix

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

I haven't seen any pictures of the Flat ED in service but there are a few scattered around the net on preserved railways. There is a drawing of 2/072 on the Barrowmore site:

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/SpecialVehiclesIssue.pdf

Is the OBA on the Association (SRH) underframe? First one I've seen assembled if it is! I like the early air-braked wagons but I'm stuck in this time-warp of 1967 and can't seem to get out :scratchhead:

Merry Christmas

David

There were a few A.B. prototype wagons built in the 1964-6 period, including a batch of container flats. The brakes are basically the same as the early A. B. production wagons (OAA, SAA, VAA, etc.) but all with small wheels. One of the prototype vans was in Scotland with the ex-NSE snowblower.

• RMweb Premium

There were a few A.B. prototype wagons built in the 1964-6 period, including a batch of container flats. The brakes are basically the same as the early A. B. production wagons (OAA, SAA, VAA, etc.) but all with small wheels. One of the prototype vans was in Scotland with the ex-NSE snowblower.

Hi Bernard,

I assume that the container flats referred to are the (in)famous diagram 1/075 that Don Rowland illustrated in British Railway Wagons. Described as being for the Condor service they do indeed look like the later standard air-braked 20' 9" underframe but without a body.

On checking the official diagrams 1/075 comes up with a bogie vehicle but 1/079 is an absolute ringer for the vehicle in Don's book! A few years ago I was contemplating modelling the 1970-72 period which would have enabled me to run the likes of Cov ABs and Open ABs but the lure of 1967 was just too great and I don't have room for the Condor!

David

That's the one, David. There was a very good drawing in a contemporary Modern Railways. This was of considerable use when I helped with the Farish 20' 9" chassis (which was based on the drawings I'd done for the chassis I wasn't able to afford the tooling for!) and again with the 2FS etched version.

There are some pics of the prototype AB van on Paul Bartlett's site:

Side: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvaa/h274e5215#h274e5215

End: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvaa/h3986651c#h3986651c

Hi Steve,

I haven't seen any pictures of the Flat ED in service but there are a few scattered around the net on preserved railways. There is a drawing of 2/072 on the Barrowmore site:

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/SpecialVehiclesIssue.pdf

Is the OBA on the Association (SRH) underframe? First one I've seen assembled if it is! I like the early air-braked wagons but I'm stuck in this time-warp of 1967 and can't seem to get out :scratchhead:

Merry Christmas

David

A number were used as spacer wagons on Concrete Beam sets; they cropped up in some postings elsewhere on here recently. Others were used by the CM&EE, though what they carried, I couldn't say. Two links to Mr Bartlett's site:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p666802151/h8ccec8e#h8ccec8e is one of the Concrete Beam spacers

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p666802151/h8ccec8e#h6f7c1c99 has been used to carry something to or from Swindon, but what?

• RMweb Premium

A number were used as spacer wagons on Concrete Beam sets; they cropped up in some postings elsewhere on here recently. Others were used by the CM&EE, though what they carried, I couldn't say. Two links to Mr Bartlett's site:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p666802151/h8ccec8e#h8ccec8e is one of the Concrete Beam spacers

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p666802151/h8ccec8e#h6f7c1c99 has been used to carry something to or from Swindon, but what?

Thanks for the links, Brian. I hadn't thought of looking on Paul's site! It looks like the last lot had hydraulic buffers.

Can you tell me any more about the Concrete Beam sets?

David

• RMweb Premium

The best thing would be to search on here- Adrian Swain listed the formations of quite a few he saw in Poole/Hamworthy.

Thanks, Brian. Just had a read through the thread. Two Flat EDs mentioned in Adrian's table B906820 and B906826. The former is at Whitemoor in Paul's photo, I wonder if the one behind it is the latter?

David

This week, I fired up my time-machine-come-shrink-ray and nipped back to Newton Abbot 1971. Sadly, my digicam transformed back into a period device. Reading the manual, this is a fairly standard problem.

c9ca991e408518086be608aee35ddc83.jpg

Happy new year,

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 8

Sorry David, I missed your question! Chassis is indeed one of Stephen's via the Association - very nice kit, although a Hold'n'Fold is more or less essential for forming the sole bars in my opinion. I've got a whole load of these to build but I'm stumbling at the buffers -Bernard's ones are very nice but the mounting spigot (is that the right word?) is fairly big and mounting them can be tricky. Are there any plans for them to be part cast Association range?

Pix

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry David, I missed your question! Chassis is indeed one of Stephen's via the Association - very nice kit, although a Hold'n'Fold is more or less essential for forming the sole bars in my opinion. I've got a whole load of these to build but I'm stumbling at the buffers -Bernard's ones are very nice but the mounting spigot (is that the right word?) is fairly big and mounting them can be tricky. Are there any plans for them to be part cast Association range?

Pix

Hi Steve,

Look forward to seeing more of the air-brake vehicles. The buffers that you need are in Shop 2 now. 2-080  Oleo 1'8½ - 18" head is the one for the 20' 9" chassis vehicles. The rest of the range should be arriving from the casters soon apart from RCH 4 rib 1'8½ and Dowty 1'8½ with which we have had some problems.

David

Edited by DavidLong

I'm making steady progress on the main station building for the Pennine Group's model of Lightcliffe circa 1930.

IMG_0465_zps082a648f.jpg

End on view of the waiting room (gents' toilet on the left)

IMG_0466_zps18249aee.jpg

From another angle.

IMG_0468_zps27122846.jpg

Main platform frontage. Left to right: Gentlemen's waiting room, Ladies waiting room, general waiting room, and Booking Office/Station Master's office.

IMG_0470_zps06fb48a0.jpg

Waiting rooms and booking office again, plus beginnings of Station Master's house.

IMG_0477_zps371dc99b.jpg

First stab at signs (work in progress).

Buildings are all plasticard laminated with Slaters' stone sheet (using Limonene); signs are Aber 1mm brass letters glued on Evergreen strip, primed with White gesso and painted with Vallejo black wash. Next step is to try and pick the lettering out.

Happy New Year to one and all.

Regards,

David Varley

• Like 9

Some lovely work on the station building - but the signs with 1mm lettering are particularly impressive, I had to double-check I'd read the post correctly!

I'd not heard of Aber before but have now found and bookmarked their website.

Thankyou.

The tricky part was aligning the letters. The only way I could keep them straight was to put them on a 0.25mm thick by 1mm wide Evergreen strip and then put the strips onto another 0.25mm by 2.5mm strip with the whole lot surrounded by 0.75mm strip. Very fiddly (the last 'S' just didn't want to know) but got there in the end and I'm pleased with how they've come out. Will either dry brush the letters in white or maybe flat dip the sign in white paint (like reverse potato printing) to try and bring the letters out a bit more. I did think about using transfers but they didn't look quite right somehow.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Much later than expected but now received, latest sheet of test etches from PEC. I've started assembling a finescale conversion kit for the Farish WD 2-8-0, the other test etches to do are a
similar kit for the Farish Ivatt 2-6-0, a chassis kit for the GEM L & Y saddle tank, and body and chassis etches for L & Y 2-4-2Ts. Here are some pics of some of the etches.

post-12813-0-82459800-1388690830_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-39186600-1388690856_thumb.jpg

The etched bits for the WD seem to be going together well. The difficult bit is putting everything back together and connecting up all the wiring along the same lines as the original model.

Regards,

Nig H

• Like 14

Look forward to seeing more of the air-brake vehicles. The buffers that you need are in Shop 2 now. 2-080  Oleo 1'8½ - 18" head is the one for the 20' 9" chassis vehicles.

Cheers David - do you know the diameter of the mounting spigot on these? I had previously thought that these and Bernard's were one and the same.

I've got a little bit of etch space at the moment that's probably just about the right size for the deck on the FLAT ED. Is there any chance you could give me the length over headstocks and overbody width of your model? Sorry if that's a bit cheeky - sadly, I've not got one of Chris' chassis to measure. It'll go nicely with the 'body' for a BR diag 1/098 on the same sheet!

Cheers,

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Cheers David - do you know the diameter of the mounting spigot on these? I had previously thought that these and Bernard's were one and the same.

I've got a little bit of etch space at the moment that's probably just about the right size for the deck on the FLAT ED. Is there any chance you could give me the length over headstocks and overbody width of your model? Sorry if that's a bit cheeky - sadly, I've not got one of Chris' chassis to measure. It'll go nicely with the 'body' for a BR diag 1/098 on the same sheet!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

The spigots on the buffers should be no more than 0.7mm in diameter. The length is more variable. When I was mounting them for casting the spigot length had quite a variation and in some cases may come out at no more than 0.5-1mm but it should be enough to give some location in relation to a hole in the buffer beam.

For the Flat ED, the length of the body is 53.5mm and the width is 16.65mm. Compared to the prototype they should be 54mm and 17mm. The length goes with Chris' underframe etch which is 2-377 LNER fitted 15' w/b for Peco plate/Twin Bolster so I'm not sure where I lost the half millimetre as the body is flush with the headstocks. The width must be down to my rubbish measuring! The drawing for 2/072 is on here: http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/SpecialVehiclesIssue.pdf

Won't you need to do an underframe for 1/098 or are you going to shorten a standard 10' underframe down to 31mm? Weird combination on this diagram - unfitted, screw couplings and hydraulic buffers. I can't believe that B.R. built 350 of these wagons over diagrams 1/099 and 1/098!

David

Edited by DavidLong

Buffers sound ideal David - I'll pop a few sets on the next shop order. It'd be nice to clear some of the COV ABs off my workbench which have been sat their for far too long - I even got around to doing the artwork for the Kelloggs branding on the side of them!

Thanks for the FLAT ED measurements, I wasn't sure if the association chassis had been shrunk or stretched at all to fit around the Peco body. I had an hour to kill before dinner, so, et voila...

5tnv.jpg

I've drawn my own chassis to go with the Match wagon to save cutting down an Association one. I'll probably have a stab at drawing an 8' wheelbase chassis one if I've got any space on the current sheet.

Right, foods up!

Cheers,

Pix

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Something green has appeared on my workbench:

post-1467-0-81926500-1389218106_thumb.jpg

Whilst progress on the layout has been painfully slow the past few months I've experimented here and there with different methods of producing grass which feels in scale for the embankment on Ropley. The latest test involves Teddy Bear fabric, green acrylic paint and scissors. This forms the basic grass base layer, to which brambles and other growth will be added. I'm quite pleased with this as it feels less uniform than previous attempts with static grass.

Note, no actual teddy bears were harmed in the production of this piece of green and pleasant land.

Tom.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Something green has appeared on my workbench:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Whilst progress on the layout has been painfully slow the past few months I've experimented here and there with different methods of producing grass which feels in scale for the embankment on Ropley. The latest test involves Teddy Bear fabric, green acrylic paint and scissors. This forms the basic grass base layer, to which brambles and other growth will be added. I'm quite pleased with this as it feels less uniform than previous attempts with static grass.

Note, no actual teddy bears were harmed in the production of this piece of green and pleasant land.

Tom.

That looks really good Tom, will there be a blog entry as I'd be interested in a more detailed account of this.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

That looks really good Tom, will there be a blog entry as I'd be interested in a more detailed account of this.

Jerry

Hi Jerry.

Hopefully the blog will be updated this weekend at somepoint. There are a few other small bits of progress so show in addition to the trials with the teddy bear fabric.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 2