The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What Mini-Tablet to Buy?

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

About 2 years ago I splashed out on a 10" Archos tablet. It runs Android (an older version, obviously), but has 16GB storage on board, a mini-SD card slot and WiFi connectivity. Works as advertised, RMweb (amongst others) can be displayed properly (be it in small font, but it does have a magnification function) and occasionally I use it at work (free WiFi on some trains ;) )...

Just me tuppence :)

The Archos ones generally dont have Google Play (was marketplace|) as has their own app store.

However it is pretty easy to download and install the Google Play store if you do want it - just do an online search as how to do this.

Ian

I'm a Nexus 7 owner had one from preorder, it has changed the way I use computers and the web. IMO its by far the best device at the moment. Apple yes they are very good but their price point is shocking!

There are numerous ways around the lack of expansion slots on the Nexus range. Amazon sell a micro usb to usb female cable for a few quid. Now you can then add anything from a HDD, USB stick, SD reader, MicroSD reader for a few quid more again. No hacks, no root etc etc. Just download Nexus file importer (Free App), you can then add anything that can be stored on those devices, from pdf,s to films.

Or you can use wifi or bluetooth wireless USB sticks and HDDs without cables at all.

Or you can purchase a NAS drive for your main computer at home, back up all your files to that and be able to access them from anywhere through the web or at home via wifi.

Or for the more adventourous you can root your device and open up a whole enw world of options. But it will void your warranty!

On the wireless side of things and a small bluetooth keypad can be bought for £10-12 and therefore get around the need to use the touch screen if writing a lot.

Regards

Archived