The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What Mini-Tablet to Buy?

edcayton

I tried a "smart-phone" and I was too stupid! and anyway the screen was too small for me. I am now looking seriously at things like the iPad mini as a means of accessing the web whilst away from home. I have looked in shops, but they seem set up for clever demo's only and the assistants can't understand my simple needs.

Why do I need "apps"? I don't use them at home, so what purpose do they serve?

Many of these gadgets seem to have a lot of wasted "frame" around the edge of the screen, so you don't get the size of display you expect. The Samsung Note seems quite a nice bit of kit but dear.

Has anyone any advice on which are the better contenders in this market please?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Apps are small software programmes. However you normally download these onto smartphones and tablets whereas until recently you normally bought a PC programme on a disc.

Many apps are free but some charge anywhere from 50 pence upwards .

Apps include things like games, mp3 music players, book reading (kindle reader etc.), magazines (ZIno is one), utillities such as calculators, compasses, unit conversion, online maps, sat nav (as long as the tablet you choose has onboard GPS) photo editing and the list goes on. There are many thousands of apps for both Apple tablets and for Android tablets (such as those made by Samsung etc).

Its is dificult to know what is best as it depends on what you intend to use it for aprat from web browsing.

Many like the Android system due to its flexibility but many like the simplistic way Apple products work but they can be limiting as Apple tablets dotn have storage memoryy expansion capabilities whereas many Android system devices (but not all such as Nook and Kindle Fire) do.

The cheaper Android tablets can be as useful as the dearer Android ones but they will be a little slower if playing video or games and battery life may not be as good.

If all you want to do is browse the web then a cheaper one might be fine. Do you only intend to use it where there is wifi such as in hotels, some train companies, Wetherspoons pubs? If you want to be truly mobile then you will need a tablet that can take a data sim card and they generally cost more.

ian

• RMweb Premium

Im an Apple fan and am using the iPad. The use of apps is because Apple do not allow flash prgrams on the ipad.

Would definitely recommend. I got mine through Vodaphone and as I am already a customer, got the pad foc.

Cautionary and slightly technical note..

Make sure whatever you get it has a 'capacitive touch screen' as the resistive ones are a lot less sensitive as you physicially need to push into the screen for it to register (most use a stylis as a such) whereas a mere touch will activate a capacitive.. Most brand names will use capacitive, but well worth checking.

I have an iPad and my wife a Kindle Fire. In very simple terms the iPad is a small computer and the Kindle Fire a media device. From what you say Ed, I'd say that the Kindle Fire is the one for you. Much cheaper, excellent quality and great for web browsing and video viewing.

I caught a Radio 4 programme a few weeks back with a guy reviewing the current crop of tablets and mini tablets. He highly rated the Kindle Fire if you just want to browse the net and consume media.

The missus used to have both an iphone and ipad2, she didn't really like them so both were sold on.

I bought her a Kindle Fire for her birthday and she loves it. It is so much better and cheaper than the ipad which to be honest are just overated/overpriced and over-hyped.

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree with the Kindle Fire & Google Nexus as being excellent choices.

But what I actually bought myself is a Blackberry Playbook. It got a panning in reviews at launch as it was priced like an iPad and didn't have an email client, but it does email these days and Currys sell the 64GB version for £129.

The app store is a bit sparse but if you're not bothered about apps and want a well made device with a ton of storage it's worth a look.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I would avoid the Kindle Fire - Amazon's walled garden approach makes Apple look positively open!

Google Nexus 7/Samsung Galaxy Tab 2/Blackberry Playbook all very good value (can get them all for less than £160). Subtle differences:

Nexus 7 - no memory card slot so 16GB may not be enough depending on what you want the tablet to do.

Galaxy Tab 2 - does have a memory card slot but has less space on the tablet itself

Blackberry Playbook - lots of memory for an excellent price, but runs a different operating system which is nice, but not as well supported as Android (or iOS). Worth noting that some Android apps will run on the Playbook.

Cheers, Mike

Was in Tesco the other day and noticed they sell "Norton Tablet anti-virus" software. Is this an essential with a tablet ?

Thinking of getting a Kindle Fire (not HD). £109 at Carphone Warehouse.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

iPad 4 here. First foray into the world of Apple and am a convert, worth every penny especially on an interest free card . I have a Samsung Galaxy phone running Android, but after the iPad will go to an iPhone next, IMO it's just a superior product, does what it says on the tin.

• RMweb Gold

I bought an Android phone, and think it a total waste of money. I've never managed to get it to do anything on wifi - but I've never actually "needed" it to do anything, either. The camera has a fault on the lens, so that's no good either. It takes me longer to type using the hideous virtual keyboard than on a cheapo Nokia with buttons. Following recent events, I now own another Android (yet to crack the security code), a tablet (even Deb didn't do much with that), a netbook (rather slow and feeble), a Kindle (never look at it, and no idea how to stop the downloads), a widescreen laptop (security again) and a desktop which I spend many hours on.

Not all of us are cut out to use - or need - so much stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Another vote here for the Google Nexus 7. Bought mine direct form Google who were the cheapest around beating Amazon, ebay and Tesco.

Dont buy your Goole Nexus from Amazon - they inflate the price artificially to make the Kindle HD look better, which they dont need to do as its pretty decent anyway.

I too have been looking at Notepads for a replacement for my Palm PDA, which is no longer "supported" by the manufacturers and cannot be electronically linked to Windows Vista or 7.

This has the ability to produce MS spreadsheets and documents that I can still download to my pc from it's removeable memory card, SMS creation for sending by Bluetooth to a mobile phone, as well as having a calenders, contacts list, still media storage and display, etc. When I look at most modern devices they seem strong on enabling the feeble minded to play games and watch videos, sharing their lifestyle with other feeble minded people, telling them where they are, showing them the nearest fast food outlet, etc. but not very good in terms of doing anything productive.

So for someone wanting spreadsheet and wordprocessing capabilities, as well as an electronic diary, contacts list, where do I look? I thinkperhaps I should be looking for one that has suitable "apps" but availability of "productive" ones does seem to be a weak point.

Or am I swimming against the tide and should I just get pen, paper, a calculator and dictionary? In addtion buying from two of the main contenders mean putting profits into the hands of US companies who prefer to avoid paying tax on their UK activities (is that what our two countries special relationship means?).

• RMweb Gold

I too have been looking at Notepads for a replacement for my Palm PDA, which is no longer "supported" by the manufacturers and cannot be electronically linked to Windows Vista or 7.

This has the ability to produce MS spreadsheets and documents that I can still download to my pc from it's removeable memory card, SMS creation for sending by Bluetooth to a mobile phone, as well as having a calenders, contacts list, still media storage and display, etc. When I look at most modern devices they seem strong on enabling the feeble minded to play games and watch videos, sharing their lifestyle with other feeble minded people, telling them where they are, showing them the nearest fast food outlet, etc. but not very good in terms of doing anything productive.

So for someone wanting spreadsheet and wordprocessing capabilities, as well as an electronic diary, contacts list, where do I look? I thinkperhaps I should be looking for one that has suitable "apps" but availability of "productive" ones does seem to be a weak point.

Or am I swimming against the tide and should I just get pen, paper, a calculator and dictionary? In addtion buying from two of the main contenders mean putting profits into the hands of US companies who prefer to avoid paying tax on their UK activities (is that what our two countries special relationship means?).

Another plus for many Android tablets is the removable memory card slot. You can copy your spreadsheets, and photos, videos mp3 music files onto the memory card on your pc then put the card into the tablet.

The Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Note II smart phone have a stylus for more accurate control of the screen etc.

So for someone wanting spreadsheet and wordprocessing capabilities, as well as an electronic diary, contacts list, where do I look?

As Roundhouse has suggested an Android tablet with expandable memory; it'll do all of what you need plus more. It's only the same as a PC, you don't need to use it for things that others do, it's just that the tablet market is perceived to be about games and video when in reality it's a useful business tool which gets marketed towards the fast-food loving youtuber. ;)

There was a quick and dirty (and limited) review in the Guardian yesterday. If you want to browse outside of a WiFi zone you need a 3G (or 4G if available) SIM Card, I don't think the Kindle has that. If you want extensive storage for photos or music or for transferring stuff stored you'll need one that will take a memory card.

Archived