UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

For those who have never stood alongside a 'Big Boy' - I can vouch for their size !

Brian R

Now on any other internet forum that would have a whole other meaning.....

• RMweb Gold

Massively pleased about this. Hats off to UP!

There's only one loco in captivity in the US that I'd like to see in the wilds as much, and that's the last SP Cab Forward Mallet. As it's the last, I doubt very much that CSRM will ever let it out of Sacramento, sadly..

• RMweb Premium

This is fantastic news.   I can vouch for the 'WOW' factor when you see them.  I took the family to Cheyenne in 1995 and even SWMBO said "That's Impressive' when she saw the Big Boy in Holiday Park there.   Looks like I'm going to have to celebrate getting my old age pension by going over there again. As to turntables there is at least one that can take them as the Cheyenne shops are built as part of the old roundhouse and the turntable there is the original one.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

I was chatting to the owner of the B & B we were staying at in Cheyenne back in June. Sounds like a lot of people want a footbridge over the mainline to allow the workshops to be opened up to the public on a regular basis. 

Would be great if this happens now with the Big Boy adding to the attractions there.

The one in the park is still therein good cosmetic condition not far from the mainline.

Ian

The drawing for the Garratt shows the pivots in the wrong place, they are always within the wheelbase of the engine units.

For both the Garratt and Meyer the weight is carried through the pivots, for the Mallet the pivot is just that and weight is transferred to the front engine unit through a sliding bearing under the front of the boiler.

Keith

• Like 1

Looks like I'm going to have to celebrate getting my old age pension by going over there again. 

Jamie

I'll be in your saddlebag :mosking:

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

Say "mallay" over here and no one will know what you are talking about (in my experience anyway)............... :sungum:

Best, Pete.

Like the legendary Greek Street folk club over here: the "correct" pronunciation was "Lay Coosan", but to the regulars it was "Lez Cuzzinz".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think there is also a slide someplace near the front -- under the smoke box?   I had my chance to look. :fool:

What I did notice is that there are a few other locos behind the Big Boy and that all of them have some sort of plumbing (electical conduit?) tieing them to the ground. Just pulling everything out is going to be a major operation.

• RMweb Premium

Yes there is a slide under the smokebox and also a 12" diameter pin to connect the two engine units.  From memory the front unit has  a tongue that fits into a socket on the fixed rear unit.   There are also telspcopic and jointed steam and exhaust steam pipes that connect the front engine unit to the smokebox.   The suspension is also a complex one where there is a continuous system of cpmpensation between all the driving wheels. 

All the above means that the preparation of 4014 for the move is going to be an intersting excercise.   I can't see it being possible to move it by road so I presume it will have to be moved by rail for the roughly 1200 mile trip to Cheyenne.  There are going to be some fabulous photo opportunities on that move, Cajon pass, Weber Canyon  and Sherman summit to name but three.   I'm really looking forward to it.  Knowing UP's brilliant publicity machine what;s the betting that one of their steam locos is invloved in the move somewhere.

Jamie  

Edited by jamie92208

All the above means that the preparation of 4014 for the move is going to be an intersting excercise.   I can't see it being possible to move it by road so I presume it will have to be moved by rail for the roughly 1200 mile trip to Cheyenne. 

Why not by road? Far larger loads than a Big Boy are moved by road here in the crowded, infrastructure heavy, UK. There was a documentary a while back about moving a Big Boy, albeit a short distance, by road. The BIg Boy would, I imagine, require some considerable work just to get it rolling, let alone fit for a 1200 mile rail haul. Just simpler to drag it, even lift it, onto a road trailer and do all the work in Cheyenne I would have thought??

When they moved the 4023 to Kenefick Park by road it required a trailer with 30+ axles.  Well technically it wasn't a trailer, is was separate bogies of 2 axles connected, limited to about 5 mph.   I watched them move it part way.  It was a VERY slow trip. and very painful going around curves and over vertical curves. If they removed all the rods and got the bearings checked and relubed, they could move it by rail.

Dave, I agree, if all it takes to convince UP's engineers that a quick lube all round will render it fit for a 1200 mile rail haul, that's what they'll do.

However, 4014 has been standing at Pomona for 50 years (has it turned a wheel at all?) and I suspect a good deal more might be needed. So the engineers have to decide whether it's reasonable to do any necessary work, in less than ideal conditions, at Pomona, or better to move by road, as it is, and do all the work in Cheyenne. A rail haul would probably be limited to a at low speed, 20mph max? UP happy with that on a busy main line? Seized bearing, fractured axle?

The road move of 4023, subject of the documentary I saw, was across town and up a steep bank, and that was slow. Those modal flat trailers, with air suspension and all wheel steering, are widely used over here, and on the highway are good for 20mph. A move of a few days.

All I'm saying is don't dismiss the possibility of a road move, it's feasible and might be the simplest option.

It's possible that 4014 could be moved by rail, but not on its own wheels. In 2005, Reading 4-8-4 2100 was moved from St. Thomas, Ontario to Tacoma, Washington State on a flatcar. I saw it in the BNSF yard at New Westminster, BC during the move. I was surprised but, having thought about it, realised clearance shouldn't be a problem. Just look at any picture of locomotives against doublestacks or even autoracks - there's room for a flatcar under the locomotives. Here's a picture of 2100 in St. Thomas, ready to be moved:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=120842&nseq=10

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Massively pleased about this. Hats off to UP!

There's only one loco in captivity in the US that I'd like to see in the wilds as much, and that's the last SP Cab Forward Mallet. As it's the last, I doubt very much that CSRM will ever let it out of Sacramento, sadly..

And what a beast it is:

post-6720-0-24695500-1375035978.jpg

(Pic snapped not long before we met you in San Diego, John).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a foretaste of what a treat we have in store.  Here is a video taken last September of 844 heading west out of Cheyenne.

I was part way through a road trip across the US following the UP main line with my good friend Tony Cowell who took the video.(It's been uploaded with his permission.)  By chance we happenned to be in Cheyenne that morning.  There were about a dozen Brits waiting with us at the site of Tower A.   The train was delayed due to very heavy freight traffic and was due to head out on no 2 track directly over Sherman Hill on the main line rather than going the slow way along the more gently graded No 3 track.  After much radio traffic it headed out on No 4 track that allowed it to detour round standing freights via Speer before regaining No 2 track a few miles west of Cheyenne.  It had 17 cars and 3 diesels in tow(I think approx 2500 tons)  only one of which was under power.  The engineer was giving it everything and it was an awesome sight.  (rather too awesome for the idiot in the white car).  This was part of the 150th anniversary of the founding of the UP.  

844 has much in common with the Big Boys being designed by the same team and having the same tender.  However the Big Boy is 150 tons heavier and quite  a bit longer.  Tony and I are already planning another trip if I persuade SWMBO to let us go.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4