UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

Thanks for the updates.

Would love to see it on the move to Cheyenne aswell.

Ian

As it's probably moving in the exhibition season (Warley and wakefield) I don't think that an RM Web sponsored trip is on.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

It'd make a good centerpiece at Warley ;)

Might not be much room for layouts though!

Might cause a bit of a blockage on the M42 getting there as its too big to move by rail.  I did here a rumour once that one had been offered to Steamtown at Carnforth in the early days but that they couldn't work out how to get it into the shed from the docks.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

5000 feet across a parking lot! Rhat's getting on for 1 mile - a big parking lot!

Stewart

Having been to the Pomona Fairgrounds, I can confirm it is a very bl**dy big parking lot!! (It's big enough to set up a drag race track - as well as handle tens of thousands of cars for events such as the State Fair).

I'd love to get there to see it move. Pomona is only a couple of hours away from my home, but most weeks I'm working 2500 miles away. I'll be watching with interest to see if any weekend moves are planned..

• RMweb Premium

Having been to the Pomona Fairgrounds, I can confirm it is a very bl**dy big parking lot!! (It's big enough to set up a drag race track - as well as handle tens of thousands of cars for events such as the State Fair).

I'd love to get there to see it move. Pomona is only a couple of hours away from my home, but most weeks I'm working 2500 miles away. I'll be watching with interest to see if any weekend moves are planned..

From the latest on the Trains Website most of the moves will be at weekends to minimise disruption to traffic. 

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The move has begun.   From the Trains newswire it was moved 150' onto panel track for further inspections on 7th November.   No date for the next move across the mile of car park but it should be soon.    They've had to chain it down as there is a slight downgrade and they don't want it rolling away.

Roll on the big move.  I can't wait for pictures from Cajon, Weber Canyon and Sherman.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Trains Magazine has just reported that the move on panel track across the parking lot is to take place on Wednesday and Thursday this week.  There are references to live webfeeds of the move and other online reports but no weblinks as yet. I'll post again if I find anything.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The  TRAINS webcam is now set up but not streaming yet.

http://trn.trains.com/Union%20Pacific%20Big%20Boy/Webcam/2013/11/Big%20Boy%20Webcam.aspx

According to the editors twiiter feed it will start broadcasting once the move begins.   5000 feet is a lot of 40' panels to leapfrog.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I just checked and Jim Wrinn (Editor of Trains) was doing an update. The steam crew have spent the morning laying more track and it is due to move in the afternoon California Time so there might be a few of us having a late night meamwhile back to more soldering for Green Ayre.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can tell 4014 didn't move yesterday but is now due to start to move between 7 and 7.30 PST which i think is 3 to 3.30pm GMT.  It sounded from Jim Wrinn's interview as if they spent yesterday laying more panel track.  Apparently UP have donated an ex Missouri Pacific Sd40_2 and a caboose to take the place of 4014 and the plan is it get the Big Boy onto LA Metrolink tracks on Saturday night between midnight and 07.00 PST by cutting the track and making a temporary connection to the panel track.  The SD40 and caboose will then be pushed onto the panel tack while the connection is still there.

Jamie

It said they will be using their Cat loader, I'm surprised that has enough traction for the job TBH having driven a bunch of them in farm yards. But I guess it can't really run away at such low speed on less than 1% slope with a load of blokes hanging around ready to chock it. And they aren't driving in the rain on a mix of diluted diesel and cow … :)

• RMweb Premium

It was incredible to see how freely it moved.   At one point they thought that one of the wheels on the front engine was going to come off so they just slackened the sling from the tractor and it rolled gently back down the gentle grade.  It was a good thing that they'd got at least some of the air brake system working, powered by a compressor perched on top of the water space on the tender.  I never thought I would see someone sitting in the engineers seat of a Big Boy controlling the brakes in my lifetime.  All credit to UP for their commitment.

They've now got about 500 feet and run out of Setrack,  perhaps they out to get sponsorship from Peco.  Now they have to lift all the rest and relay it.  Only 4500 feet to go to the Metrolink tracks.

It;s certainly put a halt to soldering activities this afternoon and i was late starting tea for SWMBO.  She was not amused.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky late this afternoon that I had a quick look and I caught it just as they started to move the loco then a few more quick peeks whilst also working!!

Was great ot see.

The video will now be left on the PC in the living room tonight.

Ian