Glue for 3D printed parts?

I have had some parts made by the 3D printing process and would like to know what sort of glues to use to assemble them. I thought the expertise would be in this forum section, so I'm hoping some of you good people can help.

Is "superglue" likely to be OK on these parts? What about solvents, such as Plastic Weld?

Ah. I've no idea what the material is. The parts were done as a favour, no questions asked. ;-)

Are any of the usual materials able to be fixed with Plastic Weld? Or will it simply reduce them to a mess? I'll ask what the printing material is.

Thanks,

As others have said, depends, I use PG from I Materialise a lot that's a resin so Plastic Weld doesn't have any effect on it, superglues work well though. On other printed stuff I've pretty much used various gel/normal superglues with decent results, usual disclaimer, test first!

I still don't know what the material is but

The manufacturers recomend a 'medium cynocacrylate' glue, but make sure all trace of the support material is removed as it is waxy and will affect the adhesion. To do this they recomend a "2% to 10% lye (sodium hydroxide) solution to clean the support material off printed parts"

I've had a good look under the kitchen sink and we're all out of sodium hydroxide. Will fairy liquid do?

For the waxy ones it really helps to get an residual wax off before painting or gluing White spirit works wonders on some materials if used in moderation then cleaned off. I've used ordinary plastic glue with Shapeways WSF but the resin based stuff is far trickier. So far Evostick impact has worked well once the are cleaned.

I've taken to using white spitit to clean Shapeways FUD parts. It does turn the surface of the material white though rather than translucent, but it does accept paint well though (my wagons are simply painted in a couple of thin coats of humbrol enamel with no primer).

I have found that super glue works well on FUD - I use it to attach the W-Irons and brake gear to FUD wagon bodies. I have also used liquid poly solv to attach a plasticard roof to one of my wagons (I think that the solvent melts the plasticard so that the molten bits weld into the rough surface of the FUD as FUD itself is impervious to the solvent), but although it's OK for a temporary fix the bond isn't stong enough long term, so I always use some thin super glue to reinforce the join.

Hope that helps

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian

Does the enamel dry properly on FUD as when I tried it never dried. That is why I use acrylics like Halfords Primer as a base coat.

After cleaning the model thoroughly with white spirit I didn't have any problems at all.  The reason I used white spirit in the first instance was because the original coat of paint on one of my first attempts dried patchy (glossy / matt), which I put down to not removing the waxy residue properly, so all I wanted to do was remove the paint!!  In the end I discovered that the resulting surface of the FUD accepted the re-coat much better so I've used white spirit since.

Ian

Drying was a problem: thank you for the hints.

Recently the hard wax, which was difficult to ferret

out, now arrives as a waxy paste.

Then I brush with washing-up liquid and an old tooth

brush, under a tap as hot as my hands will take. I am

then left with an opaque model that is squeeky clean.

I have had no issues using BobSmithIndustries CA Glues (http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html )on Shapeways White-Strong-Flexible material. Haven't had any other types of 3D printed material yet to experiment on, though I am considering re-printing some car sides i have done up in FUD rather than the WSF as i think they will look closer to the plastic they are being inserted into when painted.

• 3 years later...

I am modifying the bogies on some old Triang clerestory coaches so that the buffer height will be correct for screw link couplers. This involves cutting and drilling the original bogie then gluing on to it a 3D printed part made from PLA.

1. What is the best glue to use between these two plastics  ? I was thinking of using CA (super glue) but somebody may have better ideas.

2. I did initially make the extra parts from brass on my lathe. Would CA be the best choice when joining brass to the plastic bogie ?

I have found that cheap liquid superglue(Pound shop) works well on WSF, especially when joining to a porous surface such as card or wood. In fact they work better than joining to other plastics. I always try out before committing to using it on a surface that matters though.

Archived