The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Suzi Perry named as new BBC F1 presenter

Wherry Lines

• RMweb Gold

That was not very accidental was it?

The presence of the cellphone in exactly the right position to mask certain key features leads me to agree with you, Pete.

On the subject of motor-racing commentators, the name Sam Posey comes to mind. Having driven works Ferraris at Le Mans, and after many years of successful commentaries on US tv, I believe, he was dumped by a network when a diagnosed illness gave him the shakes. Still managed to write a fascinating book called Playing with Trains, about our other fave subject.

That was not very accidental was it?

Best, Pete.

Err no! I remember the programme and I think very shortly after it became the most downloaded youtube video. But did you see what sort of phone he was demonstrating? No! Thought not. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Err no! I remember the programme and I think very shortly after it became the most downloaded youtube video. But did you see what sort of phone he was demonstrating? No! Thought not. :no:

Ah but phones quickly go out of fashion. Lech... ooops admiring the well crafted female form doesn't!

The presence of the cellphone in exactly the right position to mask certain key features leads me to agree with you, Pete.

On the subject of motor-racing commentators, the name Sam Posey comes to mind. Having driven works Ferraris at Le Mans, and after many years of successful commentaries on US tv, I believe, he was dumped by a network when a diagnosed illness gave him the shakes. Still managed to write a fascinating book called Playing with Trains, about our other fave subject.

I haven't seen Sam on the box for ages - I suspect that he is hanging out at Lime Rock in the Summer. He was paired up with the hyper former F1 driver from Ireland (there can only be one, surely..) on Speed TV   - the two did not mesh at all....

I liked Sam a lot.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Come to think of it, if they could coax Murray out of retirement, wouldn't a combo of Suzi and Murray be one of those odd but brilliant combos like Clare Balding+Willie Carson on the horses?

No. Clare and Willie know what they're talking about - even if he has to stand on a box. Walker's retirement was one of the best days of my life - he did motorsport a huge disservice over decades.

No. Clare and Willie know what they're talking about - even if he has to stand on a box. Walker's retirement was one of the best days of my life - he did motorsport a huge disservice over decades.

I'm afraid I shall have to disagree with you vehemently over that one. Murray Walker was a man who took th sport and his job in presenting it very seriously. When Enzo Ferrari, Juan Fangio, Michael Schumacher and Ayrton Senna count him as their favourite member of the press he must be doing something right.Returning to topic, Suzi's presence will certainly make all of the usual pre and post-race blather far more interesting :)

Murray was not actually a member of the press - he was an advertising executive. A friend of mine's father was Company Secretary of the same Ad agency (Masius, D'Arcy, Wynne, McManus or something) and Murray frequently was over to dinner.

Best, Pete.

Archived