• RMweb Premium

t-b-g,

"First time I have heard of wheels being unsupported for 6mm in EM! If I had known about that I would have gone P4!"

Well, the flangeway gap is around 1mm in EM so with a crossing angle of 1 in 6, the unsupported gap is 6mm. (Much worse for a turnout on a curve with lower crossing angle.)   Even for P4, the flangeway is about 0.65mm minimum with an unsupported gap of 3.9mm.   Nothing like so much of a problem with rigid or sprung.

Alan

Except that the wing rail doesn't end there. It is angled away from the crossing nose but supports an over scale width EM wheel for much of the way across the gap. So although the gap from one running rail to the next may be 6mm measured in a straight line along the rail, the wheel is supported for about half of that distance by the angled part of the wing rail.

I agree about curved turnouts. I did one once that ended up with something like a 1 in 12 crossing angle and that did cause problems with anything other than rigid locos.

Tony

Tony,

"the wheel is supported for about half of that distance by the angled part of the wing rail."

That seems a bit optimistic though, of course, the geometry is complicated by the position of the opposing check rail and the degree of coning.   What are your assumptions for "about half"?

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I need to dig out my test track which has a 1:6 crossing incorporated in it! I do remember that the pony truck, which has smaller dia wheels than the tender did not seem to have a drop when passing the crossings on the layout. But then I was paying more attention to the valve gear and the avoidance of any hunting/tight spots so may have missed it....

• RMweb Gold

Just had a check after digging the test track out of the garage - no sign of any wheel drop on the tender or pony, although it was an unpowered push through as a quick check. It was conclusive though, particularly on the tender I feel. I did, however, detect that the pony and a tender wheelset had drifted slightly out of gauge though...!

BTW, running the tender through by itself did also show that the wing rail did appear to provide support to the wheels.

Edited by Rannoch Moor

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, despite a paucity of reporting, I have actually made steady progress, and in about a year (between a new job, other modelling etc etc) Loch Treig is now nearly complete.  She only needs a final coat of varnish, to detail and glaze the cab, and some light weathering.  She runs well and despite a few challenges I enjoyed this project hugely.  This loco is certainly not excessively difficult to build if you have some experience (at least one etched loco plus one or 2 with outside Walschaert's valve gear - a Comet kit/conversion probably ideal).  Here are the photos for perusal....

The loco was primed with Alclad Grey Primer/Microfiller and painted with Humbrol Satin Black and lined with a mix of Modelmaster (ready made numbers, nameplates and crests and tender lining) and some Fox for the red boiler band lining)  It was all prepped and then sealed with Future wax polish other than the cab roof and smokebox so looks a little stark in close up.

post-1879-0-57914900-1398940990_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-64052600-1398941069_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-92301200-1398941113_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-40167100-1398941128_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-80152300-1398941141_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-66994900-1398941157_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-85085300-1398941180_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Horsetan, the Future is ideal for giving a metallic sheen although as Loch Treig is modelled in her twilight years (actually my layout is set a year or two after her withdrawal in reality) so she will have a reasonably weathered look that will matt down much of the sheen.  Although that will be nothing compared to the layer of filth to be applied to the Standard 4 Mogul (Motherwell's 76001 which worked both the west Highland routes in 1960) seen in the background of some of the photos above... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Loch Treig has now been matt varnished, which has blended in perfectly the transfers and made consistent the finish that the Future/Klear had made a bit patchy.  I have also glazed the cab side windows and spectacles.  The sides with plastiglaze, but because this was a real challenge for the spectacles (backhead and roof in the way) I did them with Kristal Kleer PVA.  It worked OK but I feel that they are never quite flat and even enough.

Some light weathering will follow - working but cared for.  Rather like the K1 in Tim Shackleton's weathering locos book...  Phots to follow.  

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I know its a few years ago but thought I should just say what a good job you have made of this fairly tricky kit. I think your example was built an EM gauge whilst the one I am building is 00.

Some very helpful hints and tips in the thread which I will refer to as needed.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1