Blue 7f 2-8-0

Anyone who owns a Bachmann 7f in Blue livery should watch this video I took. Fantastic locomotive caused a stir when she ran around her train at Minehead. Gives a good view of the value gear and you can hear just what the real thing sounded like. 

N.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't worry then, it will be back in black again soon-ish :sungum:

But, without wishing to upset any sensibilities, which would you prefer - a 7F painted in whatever livery its owners choose (OK, within reason!), or no 7F at all since it rusted away as scrap?

There is nothing better than to see an old rusty locomotive rotting away  confident that no preservation society will ever be able to paint  it in a crowd pleasing inaccurate livery .and a manufacturer replicate it :-)

Quid me anxius sum

• RMweb Gold

I used to perversely obtain enjoyment at Minehead, back in the 1970s, as a volunteer, telling folk that we were planning to repaint 6412 into maroon livery, because they were complaining about the lined green with the later 'GWR' on the tank sides.

I think that '88' looks lovely in blue, I really do, but if I'm honest, I'd rather see her back in BR black. The Bachmann model, however, is another matter - the blue version is a real beauty!

• 2 weeks later...

The blue Bachmann model has a personality that gets conveyed in model form.   It looks right. Wrenn did a Castle in BR blue, or looked awful and was in my honest opinio completely unrealistic.  So maybe the model is more powerful than the prototype... Now there's a question to debate, are you more attracted to a model than you are to a prototype. Don't answer here, I think this needs a new thread.

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Keith, do you mean the real thing or the model? I think the model is rather attractive, as per this photo of a pre-production one on my layout at the Hartlepool show last year:

post-57-0-05862800-1361914081.jpg

On the other hand, I appreciate what you are saying, the livery wasn't authentic on those particular locos, but the colouring actually applied to '88' is probably as close as they can get it, on both model and the preserved loco.

So, what I was coming to, was what would we think if the S&DJR had applied the Prussian Blue to the 7Fs? Would that alter our view of the current livery of '88' today, I wonder?

No. 88 (and the model) look really lovely in Prussian Blue. The model is even better than I expected it to be.

Had the S&DJR applied this livery I expect it would have gotten dingy and black very quickly and it's understandable that the Prussian Blue was reserved for passenger services only.

I imagine there's a lot of daily cleaning of No. 88 on the WSR.

Hi Keith, do you mean the real thing or the model? I think the model is rather attractive, as per this photo of a pre-production one on my layout at the Hartlepool show last year:

attachicon.gifIMG_4823.JPG

On the other hand, I appreciate what you are saying, the livery wasn't authentic on those particular locos, but the colouring actually applied to '88' is probably as close as they can get it, on both model and the preserved loco.

So, what I was coming to, was what would we think if the S&DJR had applied the Prussian Blue to the 7Fs? Would that alter our view of the current livery of '88' today, I wonder?

The model looks fine in Blue, but I think the real loco looks like it should be stood alongside "Thomas the Tank Engine" :sarcastichand:

I expect that as rattled a few cages. :O

Regards,  Keith.

• RMweb Gold

The model looks fine in Blue, but I think the real loco looks like it should be stood alongside "Thomas the Tank Engine" :sarcastichand:

I expect that as rattled a few cages. :O

Regards,  Keith.

Thomas, eh? That puts a different face on it...

Coat got, door closed.....

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know 88 quite well having spent some time on the WSR over the years....a personal favourite. The model looks fine but then so does any rtr model in a pre grouping livery. The lswr m7 is gorgeous....

How about the 7f in full blown Midland livery to commemorate the trials on the Midland coal trains in 1918.....

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

'Fraid not, the two preserved 7F's were from the second/LMS built batch, but as the WSR has painted 88 in unprototypical S&DJR livery it could paint it in MR livery.As for the coal trials or where the LNWR 'Duck-8' showed the way -??? :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

The decision to paint 88 in blue was, in my opinion, brave and very worthwhile.

The simple fact is this...

The Prussian blue livery somehow continued post grouping. We see the Bagnalls appearing in 1925 in unlined blue folloeed by the three 2P, 44,45,46 appearing in 1928 in full blown S&DJR lined everything with bells on. Derby,it seems was intent on maintaining the individuality of the line.

88 allows us to see this in the flesh and is as good as it gets....

Now imagine other possibilities if you will...

Horwich Crabs featured over the line and were well liked by the crews who tried them over the mendips.

What if Derby has sent a few of these down to Bath. A Crab in blue anyone? Or even in lined black lettered SDJR?!!!

Rob

Remember that the Somerset and Dorset was still a joint railway after the grouping so its committee still had some autonomy on its own affairs with the locomotive side being overseen by the LMS as one of the partners. Even after 1930 when the LMS absorbed the S&DJR locomotive it still had to provide the motive power for the line but it was also easier to swap things about like the 'Bagnalls' being transferred away because they had screw reversers and replaced with lever reverse locos which were more suitable for the shunting duties they performed. The Midland and Great Northern and the Cheshire Lines similarly remained joint lines after grouping.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_4823.JPG

Of course, if they had, it needs a bigger boiler............

John

• RMweb Gold

Look; 88 in blue is no more prototyical than one of the dwindling number of class 47 or 37 desels being out shopped in pre tops green.

It allows people like ourselves to see a pre group livery,arguably a post grouping livery if we are counting rivets, in the flesh, sorry metal.

As the Captain says, had it been a protypical livery as applied at Highbridge then it would have been academic.

Lifes too short. Enjoy 88 while it is there.

Rob

Archived