South London 80s/90s loco-hauled passenger services

I like your work location - very handy.

It would be if 99% of the time it wasn't the same units trundling in and out.  Get the occasional MPV, test train with 37's or 73's on it, that's pretty much about it.  I think the last "really exciting" thing was some years ago when the Hastings unit was on hire for about 6 moths doing a double return trip each day.

• RMweb Premium

As I type this I hear a rumble outside my office window to see a top and tail DRS 37 with a couple of Network Fail coaches go by... nice :)

Edit: Grabbed a camera and went up on the roof for the return trip...

Completely O/T, but a fine example of faded and new Network Rail yellow!

Cheers,

Mick

Also, no-one's yet mentioned the newspaper trains, which were in the public timetable, mostly conveying passengers in a single BSK among the vans. They lasted well into the 1980s, leaving London in the small hours (mostly 0200-0300ish) for all points round the coast from Ramsgate to Southampton/Weymouth, and mostly(?) 73-hauled.

Looking forward to the Dapol 73, with heavily weathered SR Van Bs and a BSK to recreate a South Eastern Division newspaper train....travelled on only one, but often saw the return workings passing Orpington...

Going slightly further back in time, there was the Stirling - Dover Motorail service, consisting of : BFK, FK, 2 x SLSTP and 6 Motorail flats which ran through south London - please can we have a decent Mk1 based carflat? :no:

Cheers G

• RMweb Gold

A few photos taken in 1985:

Upper Warlingham with an evening train from London Bridge to East Grinstead

post-1557-0-17511600-1357364678_thumb.jpg

A Crompton hauling an old EMU on SAndite duties - Poor loight and not expecting it meant blurred photos

post-1557-0-36935200-1357364719_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-45594100-1357364814_thumb.jpg

A race special unloading at Lingfield

post-1557-0-04139600-1357364859_thumb.jpg

There was at least one Brighton line commuter train which was class 73 hauled in the late 70s/early 80s.  This was the 1655 ex London Bridge.  I have an idea there was an up train in the morning too and possibly one from Victoria (1820 maybe ?)

Archived