Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Did I miss any good telly over Christmas?

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot in all honesty - the recorded material I had on tap, and the on demand on BT Vision came into their own as did the DVD machine.

The highs only things worth watching were:-

Patrick Stewart's portrayal of Scrooge - this version of A Christmas Carol is the only one really worth watching and it's a tradition to watch it in my household - so much so that we now have it on DVD in case it isn't broadcast - and we get it without the adverts.

James May's Toy Stories

The Royal Institution Christmas Lecture - if the lecturers had been as good as this guy I'd have done a lot better at university.

Jools Holland's Hootenanny

The VIenna New Years Day Concert.

James May's Toy Stories - building a massive wooden glider and flying it from Ilfracombe to Lundy.

The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures.

Premieres of Up and Moon.

Celebrity Mastermind is a good bit of fun.

The start of David Attenborough's 'Africa' - New Year if we're being pedantic ;)

That's true, James May's Toy Stories was very good, I became quite emotional when I realised the glider was going to make it.

I had to sit through the Royle Family Christmas 'special'.

Truly, truly dreadfull. I'd rather have been kissed by a Dementor.

I will send you my Mother in Law - you will prefer the Dementor

• RMweb Gold

That's true, James May's Toy Stories was very good, I became quite emotional when I realised the glider was going to make it.

Was this a one off program or there more programmes likely in the series.

I didnt think much of this years Christmas offerings,

But,

James Mays toy stories (a new one!) building a toy glider and flitting it 26 Miles over the sea! Was truly fantastic!

The Royle family special was ok, didn't see all of it though so can't comment too much but other than that not much has been on...

Thanks

James Mays Toy Stories was good (although it was really an episode of Man Lab in disguise). Dr. Who was...O.K. Was there anything else on?

Ohh! Not strictly "Christmas" but a series of "Racing Legends" did start. Where else are you going to see Sir. Patrick Stewart being driven on the Mille Miglia by Sir. Stirling Moss?

Ohh! Not strictly "Christmas" but a series of "Racing Legends" did start. Where else are you going to see Sir. Patrick Stewart being driven on the Mille Miglia by Sir. Stirling Moss?

Yes! I forgot that! Very enjoyable, although the second one, James Martin in conversation with Jackie Stewart, was rather spoiled by Martin's inability to say the word Formula...

Got to agree with the above - it was dismal, but it allowed me to watch the collection of railway and ancient Rome programmes that I had recorded over the year.

I didn't know the ancient Romans had railways though the Greeks did (well a stone plateway if you're being pedantic)  :locomotive:

The great thing I've found about having a Virgin Tivo box is that it watches a lot of television so I don't have to. I just flick through the programmes I thought might be worth watching and only watch those which are.

I did enjoy the James May programme especially as the journey from Ilfracombe to Lundy was one I made as a kid on the Bristol Queen. The landing strip on Lundy is a bit better defined than I'd thought.  I was disappointed with this year's Dr Who special though the new assistant should be good.

Archived